We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:12 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:Welcome to the Sunshine State.

More people in Florida are dying of Covid than at any other point in the pandemic.

NY Times
Something similar in KY, where we used to live. Delta variant combined with everyone going back to schools, churches, and work have wreaked havoc.

I’ve gone back to my N95 mask even though I’m vaccinated. The vast majority of people where I live in CO do not wear masks. Hospitalizations here are going up again. Funny how you go in Walmart and nobody has on a mask. Go to the health food store and everyone does. My theory on that would be borderline conspiracy so I’ll save it.
Experiencing similar things here in Minnesota. In the Twin Cities, where I am our hospitals are near capacity because of it. :(
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

All I can do is shake my head.

Edit: And wear a mask.
Last edited by Stretch44 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Also in the N95 mask camp. A health official in Houston observed that vaccinated people tend to hang with other vaccinated people, reducing the chance of infection -- good point. But when I'm in Walmart or Home Depot the mask goes on. Additional props to Houston/Harris County for their good covid control panel. It shows that the daily change in hospital population is decreasing -- it's still positive, but less so.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

At some point you have to realize that we're sharing the planet with a bunch of morons.

South Dakota COVID cases increase 456% since Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-dakota ... 00731.html
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:At some point you have to realize that we're sharing the planet with a bunch of morons.

All of those people were from out of state and left. The statistics make no sense at all unless you are really hoping for it. Seems like common sense to me.

I did notice CNN threw a giant concert in NYC and the media doesn’t have any articles about that and the COVID risk at all.

I recommend sticking to common sense instead of the media and political groups. Common sense says get vaccinated and wear a mask indoors until the numbers drop.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:At some point you have to realize that we're sharing the planet with a bunch of morons.

All of those people were from out of state and left. The statistics make no sense at all unless you are really hoping for it. Seems like common sense to me.

I did notice CNN threw a giant concert in NYC and the media doesn’t have any articles about that and the COVID risk at all.

I recommend sticking to common sense instead of the media and political groups. Common sense says get vaccinated and wear a mask indoors until the numbers drop.
Comparing a concert to Sturges is like comparing apples to oranges. Sturges drew 462,000 people to a town with a population of 6,000. I can't imagine the CNN concert was anywhere near that.

On separate news, the Pfizer vaccine now has a brand name... Comirnaty (koe-mir’-na-tee).

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... 19-vaccine
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Proof of vaccination was required for that concert, and it was canceled halfway through because of the weather (it was an NYC produced and hosted concert, but broadcast on CNN), but that's neither here nor there.

At the current time, and for the foreseeable future, any mass outdoor gathering where COVID protocols are required and enforced (like the concert) or there are none at all (like Sturgis) are a stupid idea.
Robotaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm Common sense says get vaccinated and wear a mask indoors until the numbers drop.
I 100% agree with that.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I completely disagree that outdoor events spread COVID, but the CDC is still debating how masks work and how COVID is spread, so what does anybody know.

There was a concert in Fruita, CO 2 months ago with 65,000 people and 17 people got COVID supposedly. That story made the news, which is funny because 17 people in the town of Fruita was 5% of the normal average for a town that size. Really stupid stuff.

Edit - Sorry, only 24,000 each of 3 nights this year (73,000). Media called it an outbreak. lol

https://tasteofcountry.com/country-jam- ... -outbreak/
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

An unvaccinated teacher spread COVID-19 to 50% of students in a classroom after taking off a mask to read, CDC says

https://news.yahoo.com/unvaccinated-tea ... 00944.html
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:An unvaccinated teacher spread COVID-19 to 50% of students in a classroom after taking off a mask to read, CDC says

You can thank teachers’ unions for there not being common sense mandates to vaccinate them. It’s not going to happen because of political pressure.

And unfortunately most the kids don’t have on N95 masks so they’re really only protecting others, which does nothing for them to fight off a stupid teacher breathing COVID into the air.

I’m sure this is happening a lot right now.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Robotaz wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:44 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:An unvaccinated teacher spread COVID-19 to 50% of students in a classroom after taking off a mask to read, CDC says

You can thank teachers’ unions for there not being common sense mandates to vaccinate them. It’s not going to happen because of political pressure.

And unfortunately most the kids don’t have on N95 masks so they’re really only protecting others, which does nothing for them to fight off a stupid teacher breathing COVID into the air.

I’m sure this is happening a lot right now.
--------

And local and state politics (we know who you are) have nothing to do with there not being any mandates. Right?

Forget vaccines for the moment: Think mask mandates. Who is stopping them?

--------

Getting too political--I'm outta here.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Enough.

This thread had been going smoothly for quite a while.

Can we stop f'ing it up?

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

It’s funny when you are a lifelong independent how you step into things talking about reality and find out it’s a political trainwreck for others.

Sorry for bringing out people’s politics. That’s not my intent.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

From a wsj article (paywall) that I wish had more concrete information:
“The number of young, otherwise healthy people who are in hospitals is higher than we have ever seen before,” Dr. Toner said.
So 59 is young? lol. Judging by the graphic, wisdom seems to begin at 70.
hospital_admissions.png

From a different article:
Do Covid-19 vaccines still prevent severe disease and hospitalization?

Despite mounting evidence of reduced effectiveness at preventing infection, studies show the vaccines continue to prevent severe illness and death.

A recent federal government study of more than 1,100 patients who received either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine found effectiveness against hospitalization stayed steady over 24 weeks from early March to mid-July.

A study by New York state government researchers found that collectively the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccine effectiveness rate of more than 95% at preventing hospitalizations held up from early May to late July, when the Delta variant was spreading.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The surge in the Houston area seems to be receding. It would be interesting to know why. Virus trends have a way of surprising people, e.g. in South Korea and South Africa.
houston_new_cases.png
houston_hospital_population.png

Source:
https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.com/