We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Post by MoT »

Conchita Turtle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 am Last week I had to jump start my car. It was out of battery. Except for going to the supermarket one day, I hadn't used it since January 1st due to the citizen's confinement. Although my car is quite a few years old now, I don't think I'm going to consider changing it for a period of time.

Besides, there is not a single car under 30k euros that seems attractive to me. Car prices have gone up by 5-10k euros in a few years due to emission standards. And it can get worse. Lately almost all of them are those horrible and dangerous SUVs.
What car do you have now, and what kind of cars are you interested in?

How is the electric/plug-in hybrid charging infrastructure there? Are those types of cars even a consideration?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:55 am
Conchita Turtle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 am Last week I had to jump start my car. It was out of battery. Except for going to the supermarket one day, I hadn't used it since January 1st due to the citizen's confinement. Although my car is quite a few years old now, I don't think I'm going to consider changing it for a period of time.

Besides, there is not a single car under 30k euros that seems attractive to me. Car prices have gone up by 5-10k euros in a few years due to emission standards. And it can get worse. Lately almost all of them are those horrible and dangerous SUVs.

How is the electric/plug-in hybrid charging infrastructure there? Are those types of cars even a consideration?
I have one of the very first Prius 3, from 2009, bought just when it was released, when practically nobody around here had a hybrid car. And bought for a personal matter of principle. At the beginning it was common for people, known or unknown, curious to ask me how to charge the car (yes, some asked me if it was powered by USB...), or to be surprised because it didn't make noise.

The thing is that it seems to me a very comfortable car -especially because of the silence in electric mode-, with a reduced consumption as a result of taking advantage of the inefficiencies... and I wonder why the rest of combustion cars are not like that.

What would I like? For reliability reasons I would discard European cars (Seat/VW, Fiat/Opel/Peugeot/Citröen, Renault/Nissan, European Fords). And, of course, diesels, I hate them. With my head I would buy a compact, probably a Corolla (about 25k), but with my heart, something sportier. But there are hardly any affordable sports cars. I'd like a Mazda MX5, but automatic (only manual is sold here), hybrid and a bit bigger. And the GT86 is discontinued, non hybrid, and more expensive. A Mustang, which have recently started to be sold in Europe, are more than 40k....

The electrification.... hybrids have only started to be seen in a more common way outside Toyota about two or three years ago. For years they've pretty much only been driven by cab drivers. And the electric ones, well, you see a few lonely ones on the street, almost all of them from some official public organization. I don't see them as practical because of their low autonomy, long recharge times, as I do see sense in plug-in hybrids, with which you can make long trips. I don't know if there are enough charging points at gas stations for long trips, but I don't see them on the streets. There is another problem in my country, the vast majority live in cities or large towns in apartments, and part of them, if they are prior to the years 60-70 without community garages, so the cars sleep on the streets. Curiously, while the vast majority of cars sold are with thermal engine, however, on TV, it seems that there are only ads for electric or hybrid cars.

I was in Norway 3 years ago as a tourist, and most of the new cars were electric, and there were countless Teslas. You would see electric cars parked on the street in residential neighborhoods, and very long wires from the window of houses.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Conchita Turtle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am

I have one of the very first Prius 3, from 2009, bought just when it was released, when practically nobody around here had a hybrid car. And bought for a personal matter of principle. At the beginning it was common for people, known or unknown, curious to ask me how to charge the car (yes, some asked me if it was powered by USB...), or to be surprised because it didn't make noise.

The thing is that it seems to me a very comfortable car -especially because of the silence in electric mode-, with a reduced consumption as a result of taking advantage of the inefficiencies... and I wonder why the rest of combustion cars are not like that.

What would I like? For reliability reasons I would discard European cars (Seat/VW, Fiat/Opel/Peugeot/Citröen, Renault/Nissan, European Fords). And, of course, diesels, I hate them. With my head I would buy a compact, probably a Corolla (about 25k), but with my heart, something sportier. But there are hardly any affordable sports cars. I'd like a Mazda MX5, but automatic (only manual is sold here), hybrid and a bit bigger. And the GT86 is discontinued, non hybrid, and more expensive. A Mustang, which have recently started to be sold in Europe, are more than 40k....

The electrification.... hybrids have only started to be seen in a more common way outside Toyota about two or three years ago. For years they've pretty much only been driven by cab drivers. And the electric ones, well, you see a few lonely ones on the street, almost all of them from some official public organization. I don't see them as practical because of their low autonomy, long recharge times, as I do see sense in plug-in hybrids, with which you can make long trips. I don't know if there are enough charging points at gas stations for long trips, but I don't see them on the streets. There is another problem in my country, the vast majority live in cities or large towns in apartments, and part of them, if they are prior to the years 60-70 without community garages, so the cars sleep on the streets. Curiously, while the vast majority of cars sold are with thermal engine, however, on TV, it seems that there are only ads for electric or hybrid cars.

I was in Norway 3 years ago as a tourist, and most of the new cars were electric, and there were countless Teslas. You would see electric cars parked on the street in residential neighborhoods, and very long wires from the window of houses.
Your reply eliminated all of the cars I was going to suggest, so now I understand the conundrum you are having.

Our current car is a plug-in hybrid, and after owning it I don't think we will ever have a traditional fuel-only car ever again.

Good luck with your search, hopefully it will be like watches: You'll find the one you want when you least expect it.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Been chasing this one for awhile fellas. Roll forward to 20:00 for the fast lap. Lots of 2:03 - 2:05’s before and after though. I had a 2021 Porsche Turbo S chasing me. He was about 5mph fast than me on the straights and with AWD, that thing was jumping off the apexes like it was shot out of a canon. It better for $200K.

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Watching that made me want to get back out on the track. That looks like a fun track.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Just backed her up with:

2:02.80
2:02.56
2:02.36
Last edited by CVP33 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I immediately thought of the Honda CR-Z , but I think they stopped making it like 7 years ago. If you don't mind buying a used car, you might be able to find one.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

I immediately thought of the Honda CR-Z , but I think they stopped making it like 7 years ago. If you don't mind buying a used car, you might be able to find one.
This looks fun:

Yaris Hybrid. 21,900 Euro according to the Toyota Espana website.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

Oooh this is fun thread!

Any diesel swap nerds here?

This is my 1991 Mazda b2600i pickup. I swapped a Mitsubishi 4d55t diesel motor from a 1985 Dodge Ram 50(Mitsubishi mighty max) in it. That was fun for 15k miles... The motor had 220k on it when I swapped it...

So after it blew up in June, I did what any logical person would do. Ordered up a brand new 4d56 short block and head off of AliExpress. $2135 shipped. Had a local shop rebuild the fuel injectors and pump, and bought a brand new turbo.
KIMG0120.jpg
KIMG0121.jpg
KIMG0119.jpg
Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

My buddy has a 2014 GT3 with a brand new 2016 spec motor/475hp, (compliments of Porsche BTW) and he asked to do a lead/follow to clean up his lines. It’s when I ran my fastest 2:02.36 and he ran his fastest 2:02.85. He definitely has better brakes as you’ll see him close ever gap I pull on him through the straights and some corners. He’s also on Hoosier slicks, but no excuses....he’s fast. Make me wish I had PDK when you hear that thing hold gears and downshift when you’d want/expect it to. I was glad to see him get loose a couple of times just to prove it wasn’t totally unbeatable. 

Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

Boourns wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

The CR-Z barely sold in Spain.

In principle, I would want the car, either new, or dealer car (registered, 0 or minimum miles, used only to show customers). Normally, in my country, someone doesn't take a car if it's in good condition and a few years old, they do if they are a commuter and put a lot of miles on it, or if they have had an accident. From 8-10 years onwards it is done if it gets old. Luxury cars are removed earlier, but they are usually used by travelers. It is easy to find e.g. a diesel Audi with 3 years and more than 200-300k km...
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm This looks fun:

Yaris Hybrid. 21,900 Euro according to the Toyota Espana website.
21k for a Yaris. Ufff...Even with 2k discount, too much money for a small car. Not long ago you could buy a supermini car, e.g. a Seat Ibiza or a Renault Clio, well equipped and with the right power, for about 12k.

And a Yaris, yes, it's a hybrid and it will be reliable, but I don't see it as pretty or special. I think that a car should not be just a vehicle that takes you from one place to another, for that there are economic cars that do it, e.g. a French-Romanian Dacia Sandero. I would want something that seems nice, fun, and a bit personal.

Small cars, and sports cars, two others that I liked, and that are now discontinued. Neither of them sold very well.

Hyundai Veloster.It's more of a compact car than a coupe, but it was really beautiful.

The one I liked best, an MX5 rebranded as Fiat and Abarth, the 124 Spider.

If I were to buy a car with my heart, it would probably be that one. But they discontinued it a couple of years ago. It was nicer than the Mazda, much nicer, but with my head probably I would have bought the Japanese one. I doubt the long term reliability of a small (and Italian) engine with turbo and lots of horsepower.

From what I've read, the fifth generation of the MX5, the NE, will be introduced not too long from now, and it will be hybrid.

The replacement for the GT86, the GR86, will also be introduced. We'll see...
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Aaaagggghh. Pretty bummed. I was really looking forward to the NASCAR race today. They have made the Bristol 1/2 mile oval (already fun to watch, 40 something cars on a short track) into a dirt track! First time since 1970 that the Cup cars will race on dirt. Postponed until tomorrow due to rain[emoji22]. Gonna try to hustle through work and maybe postpone some **** to be home by 1 PST. Should be a fun race to watch!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Watched the Bahrain GP this morning. It was actually a good race and the winner wasn't known until the end. I really hope that Verstappen and Red Bull can give Lewis and Mercedes a run for their money this year. Good to see Ferrari and McLaren in the upper half. I'd also love to Haas do well, but a slow car and rookies don't help.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

WTF?!? Image

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 am WTF?!? Image

Reminds me of a Pig. I remember seeing the updated 4 series awhile back with the new kidney grille. Very polarizing. They're too big in my opinion, but the huge grille is very popular. BMW had to do something.