We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Good thing of the day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Re: Good thing of the day

Post by peskydonut »

Happy birthday @ManOnTime!!!

Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I was cleaning out the kids room and the girls were fine with getting rid of some really bulky items and a bunch of stuffies. As a parent, this brings me an absolutely disproportionate amount of joy. Get me THAT for Father's Day!
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I am helping my mother get her rental ready to sell. The carpet cleaner was settling final matters when I complimented him on his watch. He thanked me and expressed frustration that it was getting dirty from his work. I happened to be wearing an MRW200 that was in good condition — I have misplaced my usual beater — so I offered it to him. He was incredulous until I explained how I found it at Walmart for $5 (or was it $6?). He immediately put it on and it looked good on him. I could tell he liked it, but then it is a cool watch. Now I am missing my watch, lol. All my glove box watches are at home (*facepalm*).

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:09 pm I am helping my mother get her rental ready to sell. The carpet cleaner was settling final matters when I complimented him on his watch. He thanked me and expressed frustration that it was getting dirty from his work. I happened to be wearing an MRW200 that was in good condition — I have misplaced my usual beater — so I offered it to him. He was incredulous until I explained how I found it at Walmart for $5 (or was it $6?). He immediately put it on and it looked good on him. I could tell he liked it, but then it is a cool watch. Now I am missing my watch, lol. All my glove box watches are at home (*facepalm*).

What a kind gesture! I bet that made his day.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

peskydonut wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:08 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:09 pm I am helping my mother get her rental ready to sell. The carpet cleaner was settling final matters when I complimented him on his watch. He thanked me and expressed frustration that it was getting dirty from his work. I happened to be wearing an MRW200 that was in good condition — I have misplaced my usual beater — so I offered it to him. He was incredulous until I explained how I found it at Walmart for $5 (or was it $6?). He immediately put it on and it looked good on him. I could tell he liked it, but then it is a cool watch. Now I am missing my watch, lol. All my glove box watches are at home (*facepalm*).

What a kind gesture! I bet that made his day.
Thanks, but I have a confession: I've always wanted to do that. :-)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Around 5am I was woken by a loud thump. I checked around the house and everything was fine. This morning I found a large boot print on our front door, accented with mud from the recent rain. Years ago I installed one of these door frame reinforcements. Today it might have protected us from a break in! Now to think about getting one of those camera doorbells or something, which might be a deterrent.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

BostonCharlie wrote:Around 5am I was woken by a loud thump. I checked around the house and everything was fine. This morning I found a large boot print on our front door, accented with mud from the recent rain. Years ago I installed one of these door frame reinforcements. Today it might have protected us from a break in! Now to think about getting one of those camera doorbells or something, which might be a deterrent.
Whoa, that's crazy. Glad you and your family are ok.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Highly recommend a doorbell camera.
We were able to catch and convict a couple of porch pirates from the video footage
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:13 am Highly recommend a doorbell camera.
We were able to catch and convict a couple of porch pirates from the video footage
Impressive! I found a deal on a motion light with camera and picked up two -- one for the back and one for the front. $99 with check-box coupon, so if you want two you have to make two separate purchases. List: $179. No subscription required. Mfg. product page here. Will be interesting to play with.

Image from product page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H25G6FN/

mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

TheJohnP wrote:Highly recommend a doorbell camera.
Caught their licence plate?

Surprised you actually got a conviction.

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

mplsabdullah wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:07 pm
TheJohnP wrote:Highly recommend a doorbell camera.
Caught their licence plate?

Surprised you actually got a conviction.

Interior entryway of a building so clean images.
Also juveniles so dumb.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:56 am
TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:13 am Highly recommend a doorbell camera.
Impressive! I found a deal on a motion light with camera and picked up two -- one for the back and one for the front. $99 with check-box coupon, so if you want two you have to make two separate purchases. List: $179. No subscription required. Mfg. product page here. Will be interesting to play with.

Image from product page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H25G6FN/

My light/camera arrived today. The package that arrived is co-branded by Anker, which is a brand I trust -- I wish I had known that sooner. Setup and installation went smoothly. The light's brightness is configurable, but even its dimmest is far from mood lighting. The light can be set to remain on from sunset to sunrise -- this ambient mode has a separate brightness setting. The camera has a night mode so it works even without the lights. The motion detector ties in with the camera which tries to identify whether a human caused the motion. You can turn this off or adjust the motion sensitivity. At any time I can stream video/audio from the camera. I can theoretically have a conversation through the speaker/mic, but I haven't tried it and the latency is pretty high. The $99 deal above is still live in case anybody is swayed by my mini-review. I don't have any other such devices so I can't say how it compares. I haven't tried using the app away from home yet -- I understand that's an option.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

My mother has a cat, and the cat has a litter box, and the litter box can stink. This litter box lives in the guest bathroom, so I had an idea: put a dimmer on the exhaust fan so it can be kept running slowly and silently all the time. The hardware store had a more purpose-built unit: a three-speed ceiling fan control with a basic slider UX. I installed it and it does what I want: the "low" speed keeps air quietly moving in the right direction. Both "medium" and "high" seem to both run the fan at max speed but I don't mind -- low and slow is the ticket. I think of it as a litter box cloaking device.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 pm My mother has a cat, and the cat has a litter box, and the litter box can stink. This litter box lives in the guest bathroom, so I had an idea: put a dimmer on the exhaust fan so it can be kept running slowly and silently all the time. The hardware store had a more purpose-built unit: a three-speed ceiling fan control with a basic slider UX. I installed it and it does what I want: the "low" speed keeps air quietly moving in the right direction. Both "medium" and "high" seem to both run the fan at max speed but I don't mind -- low and slow is the ticket. I think of it as a litter box cloaking device.
Great little project.

We use this:

Since we switched, there has been zero smell. Not even when scooping.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody