We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Good thing of the day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: Good thing of the day

Post by Stretch44 »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 pm
peskydonut wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:14 pm With my new situation I've been cooking a lot more. My kids can be pretty picky eaters, so when they devour a meal I made for them, I feel like a freak'n superhero. Today is one of those days.
The struggle is real. My four year is in his bedroom because he refused to eat or sit at the table at this very moment.
-----------------------

Take his watches away.
I took his Mario stuffy away and he got pissed! Got him eat dinner though.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Started running 4 months ago. Finished my first 30min run today (~5k). Next stop 10k.
Living a comeback montage.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

peskydonut wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am Started running 4 months ago. Finished my first 30min run today (~5k). Next stop 10k.
You are awesome! I wish I could run, but one joint or another always complains.

Update to add: if anybody can recommend a book for running newbies I would appreciate it. I wonder if I'm not warming up or stretching or something. It would be cool if I could run with my dog.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

BostonCharlie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am
peskydonut wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am Started running 4 months ago. Finished my first 30min run today (~5k). Next stop 10k.

Update to add: if anybody can recommend a book for running newbies I would appreciate it. I wonder if I'm not warming up or stretching or something. It would be cool if I could run with my dog.
Thanks!

I'm very much a novice at this, but when I attempted to run in the past, I always had problems with my knees hurting and ITB pain. I suspect that in my case the issue was lack of strength in the stabilizer muscles (occupational hazard). So I started on some strength training before taking on running. Also, I didn't have great footwear. This time around I bought shoes that fit right as well as some Superfeet Green insoles (I've got zero arch).

I use the Just Run app for Android, which is great. Totally free, no ads, no social oversharing nonsense. Just a running schedule and voice guidance. It runs in the background so I can listen to music or podcast on my usual apps and it just talks over them.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

That is awesome! Congratulations. You have every reason to be very proud! Good thing of the day, indeed :) .
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Nice! Keep it up!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

peskydonut wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:56 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks!

I'm very much a novice at this, but when I attempted to run in the past, I always had problems with my knees hurting and ITB pain. I suspect that in my case the issue was lack of strength in the stabilizer muscles (occupational hazard). So I started on some strength training before taking on running. Also, I didn't have great footwear. This time around I bought shoes that fit right as well as some Superfeet Green insoles (I've got zero arch).

I use the Just Run app for Android, which is great. Totally free, no ads, no social oversharing nonsense. Just a running schedule and voice guidance. It runs in the background so I can listen to music or podcast on my usual apps and it just talks over them.
Congrats!! That's certainly a good thing of the day. My knees did hurt when I ran but they eventually stopped hurting, probably because my legs were stronger and the muscles provided more stability.

I have been meaning to find a way to motivate myself to run 2-3 times a week, but I have been failing. I swim 3 times a week already so it's harder to get myself out of the house in the morning because sometimes I feel I am already doing enough, but I want to be a better runner (and I am always glad that I did it afterwards). I briefly mentioned on Discord (when I used to be on there :( ) that would be great to have a way to encourage each other on MoT to run or exercise regularly, but I haven't figured out how. I'd love to have a running buddy!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

pdsf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:37 am I briefly mentioned on Discord (when I used to be on there :( )
Why did you leave us on Discord??
We miss you
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:36 pm
pdsf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:37 am I briefly mentioned on Discord (when I used to be on there :( )
Why did you leave us on Discord??
We miss you
What he said.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Awww [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] and [mention]ManOnTime[/mention]! Thank you very much for the kind words. <3 I have been really busy at work (working almost daily)....because Discord was so fun it was too distracting for me so I had to step back for a bit.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I finally picked up some good shoes at RunOn! (where I enjoyed excellent fitting CS). I have been able to run about 100m w/o my joints acting up. Next stop 200m. ;-) My dog deserves credit for not only making me walk almost two hours a day, but her high pace makes me want to run. Makes up for the kennels she has destroyed.

Happy Independence Day, y'all!
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

[mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] check out the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall really inspiring and interesting read about barefoot running to beat injuries
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

BostonCharlie wrote:
I finally picked up some good shoes at RunOn! (where I enjoyed excellent fitting CS). I have been able to run about 100m w/o my joints acting up. Next stop 200m. ;-) My dog deserves credit for not only making me walk almost two hours a day, but her high pace makes me want to run. Makes up for the kennels she has destroyed.

Awesome job dude!!! Proud of you. That first step is the hardest.

Between travel, being sick, and the hot temperatures my stamina (if you can call it that) has taken a hit. I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:18 am

That’s great! Keep it up!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:25 pm
BostonCharlie wrote:

Awesome job dude!!! Proud of you. That first step is the hardest.

Between travel, being sick, and the hot temperatures my stamina (if you can call it that) has taken a hit. I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine.
[mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] and [mention]peskydonut[/mention] - keep it up! I guess I will go for a run tomorrow because you guys are doing it. :)