We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

True Confessions

Post by BostonCharlie »

Admit it: you've always wanted a True Confessions thread.

I'll start.

There's a page I visit almost every day hoping to find a sub-$50 atomic G-Shock square. The amount of time wasted and the amount of disappointment I experience is completely out of scale to the amount of money at stake. Even dumber: I've realized I don't really value atomic timekeeping, I just have an obsession over atomic squares. This is confession-worthy, but it's just the backgrounder.

So one day I load the page and there it is. It is a reverse LCD, of course, and I know by now that reverse isn't for me. That doesn't matter. The credit card is out, I feverishly type, and it's ordered. I go to post the deal here but it turns out I got the last one (a return perhaps?). But I'm feeling pretty good, because I know I could flip it and get my money back if necessary, and I've been planning to reverse-mod an LCD someday. The trouble is that I already have too many G-Shocks. The 2019 plan was to sell G-Shocks, not buy them.

This morning I get two emails. One is that I sold a G-Shock on eBay, the other is that this new square should arrive today. I feel like I've dodged a bullet, since my wife isn't keen on my growing watch collection and it's Valentine's Day to boot.

So I guess my confession is that I enjoy a hobby where such low stakes could evoke such strong feelings.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by Dub Rubb »

I baby all my watches equally, and far more than what is probably considered normal. When grabbing my seatbelt, I always do it in a manner that the buckle has no chance of contacting my watch. Same with closing the hatch, switched to my right hand to keep my watches out of the line of fire. It doesn't matter if I am wearing a Vostok or an Omega, they are all protected at all costs. Sacrifice the body, save the watch!

I also am bothered when the woman is sitting on my left and grabs my hand, be it at a sporting event, movie, dinner etc. and her bracelets hit my watch. I am not enough of a monster to say "keep yo damn bracelets away from my watch, you gonna scratch the cases/crystals! Crazy broad, trying to hold MY hand and scratch up MY watch? uh uh!!!" I am trying to get better and not let it bother me.

On the plus side, all of my watches are pristine!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I wind my Seiko automatic at night and feel vexed if it ever runs down while off-wrist.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I find it hard to give likes to those who don't give likes to others. (You know who you are!)
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I confess that I have at least 4 watches that have been in their original boxes for at least 4 months and have never been worn outside. Bought them, didn't like something about them (size mostly) and have done nothing about it.

I will sell them eventually, since my WPAC commitment to myself for this year was to not spend any money out of pocket on watches. Just $ from watch sales and ebates/befrugal.

On the plus side, my big fat checks cleared and if I sell these, I should be able to buy something awesome. Which leads to confession #2.

I don't really have any watches on my radar right now. It feels weird and I dont like it.

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

[quote="Dub Rubb" post_id=9523 time=1550466828 user_id=100]

I don't really have any watches on my radar right now. It feels weird and I dont like it.

-----------------------
To paraphrase an old blues song:

"I may be weirded out, but I won't be weirded out always."
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm

-----------------------

Thanks, I am sure another Seiko will come along that I just have to have. I will probably end up with a GS at some point. The only watch that I have been lusting after is the Ball Red Label GMT, but just can't justify it (or find one!). Very similar to my AT (but it is a GMT!!! I dont have one of those!) But just don't know where it fits in the collection. Watch life is weird but awesome. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... dc975a.jpg[/IMG]

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm

-----------------------

Thanks, I am sure another Seiko will come along that I just have to have. I will probably end up with a GS at some point. The only watch that I have been lusting after is the Ball Red Label GMT, but just can't justify it (or find one!). Very similar to my AT (but it is a GMT!!! I dont have one of those!) But just don't know where it fits in the collection. Watch life is weird but awesome. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... dc975a.jpg[/IMG]

It fits in the collection anywhere you want it to!

You can always move the goalposts and define "collection" differently.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Despite having a few hundred watches in my collection, I still prefer to be late.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Dub Rubb wrote:I don't really have any watches on my radar right now. It feels weird and I dont like it.
Sounds awesome to me.

@robotazky
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Robotaz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:16 am
Dub Rubb wrote:I don't really have any watches on my radar right now. It feels weird and I dont like it.
Sounds awesome to me.

@robotazky

Sounds Martian to me.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Confession: I can take or leave a % discount promo, but $ discount promos make me feel like I'm wasting money if I don't use them.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I know I'm in the smallest of minorities, but I just don't get a practical reason to have a diving/countdown bezel on a watch if you don't dive.
I've read in various forum threads about using them to time cooking and such, but for me that's what a minute hand does anyway.
If I need to bake something for 45 minutes and it's 5:40, I'll take it out at 6:25. Why do I need a bezel for that?

If the argument is that it is aesthetically pleasing from a visual standpoint or people really like the tactile nature of feeling the bezel spin when they turn it, that makes more sense.

I just don't think I'll ever truly understand the "tool" aspect to tool watches.
But one less type for me to want to buy, so that's a win.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am I know I'm in the smallest of minorities, but I just don't get a practical reason to have a diving/countdown bezel on a watch if you don't dive.
I've read in various forum threads about using them to time cooking and such, but for me that's what a minute hand does anyway.
If I need to bake something for 45 minutes and it's 5:40, I'll take it out at 6:25. Why do I need a bezel for that?

If the argument is that it is aesthetically pleasing from a visual standpoint or people really like the tactile nature of feeling the bezel spin when they turn it, that makes more sense.

I just don't think I'll ever truly understand the "tool" aspect to tool watches.
But one less type for me to want to buy, so that's a win.
I suspect that I'm speaking for some of the over 50 crowd here. I can tell myself that I'm going to time something for 15 minutes and just check the minute hand. But then I forget what time I started at. Dive ( and even GMT) bezels with their arrow to set to the starting time are a blessing. :D
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am
I suspect that I'm speaking for some of the over 50 crowd here. I can tell myself that I'm going to time something for 15 minutes and just check the minute hand. But then I forget what time I started at. Dive ( and even GMT) bezels with their arrow to set to the starting time are a blessing. :D
Since I'm 49, maybe I'll change my opinion next year.
:P
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find