True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: True Confessions

Post by TheJohnP »

I will gladly take a ghost/phantom date position on a movement than have a date window screw up a dial design.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I use a keyboard with a trackpoint pointing device. This is a confession because they must be unpopular, they are so scarce. It's so I don't have to move my hand off the kb to move the pointer. I prefer a corded keyboard b/c I don't like the idea of passwords being transmitted wirelessly. Backslash key should be over the Enter key. Scissor switch keys, small footprint, but a full complement of left & right Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys.

I just bought another because the Tab key conked out on my 6-y/o kb -- pretty good lifespan for something that I use every day (but why the Tab key?). Presently $51 incl. free shipping direct from Lenovo. They do have a wireless model if you prefer. Good CS -- I got a bad kb once and they promptly replaced it.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessorie ... /p/0B47190

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:34 pm I use a keyboard with a trackpoint pointing device. This is a confession because they must be unpopular, they are so scarce.
-------
Years ago when IBM was still the manufacturer of Think Pads, I really liked the trackpoint device. I have since gone over to the dark side (Apple).
kinglee
MoT Member

Post by kinglee »

When I see California dials and NATO straps I’m reminded of a Phyllis Diller joke.
“I had a peeping Tom once, he threw up on the window!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body!
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

You asked for it; so, as promised here it is. Be prepared to be bored.
----------

I can't swear to it, but I believe that when I first made an appearance in the delivery room of Parkside Hospital I was not wearing a watch. I eventually received a watch as a present sometime during my elementary school years. There's a picture somewhere that I hope to find of me on a swing twisting my wrist around the supporting chain so that the face of the watch would be facing the camera.
I can't remember any other watches than that one being worn through high school, upon graduation from which (1954) I received a gold--actually more likely a gold-filled--Gruen with stick indices from my parents as a present.
The Gruen was my main watch through the next several decades. It even survived an unintended ride through a washing machine. Sometime during the late 70s I guess it was, I put together enough shekels to purchase a Hamilton. It was quartz, which I didn't think anything of. To this day I am so ignorant of watch movements that I half believe that a tiny hamster in a wheel moves the hands. (You may have noticed--but probably not--that I never comment on technical aspects of horology. To quote Manuel from Fawlty Towers, "I know nothing!")
Somewhere along the line I picked up a couple of Seikos (one auto, one quartz--both now dead) and a pre-Eco-Drive Citizen, a rather small tonneau shaped faux-gold case (alive, but never worn now).
Unlike almost everyone else here who has a grail watch in their future, I started off--before getting serious about watches--with my grail watch (although the term was unknown to me then). Sometime in the 90s I bought a sterling silver Tiffany Atlas. it was quartz; that's what was going then. I loved the elegant simplicity of the watch. [Picture from the web.]
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.06.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.06.51 PM.png (315.36 KiB) Viewed 5851 times
One day, before going to work, I had second thoughts about wearing the Tiffany watch and switched to the Hamilton. When I got home later in the day, I discovered I had been burgled and the Tiffany and the Gruen were gone along with some cash I had lying around after returning from a trip to Argentina.
However, I was not going to be deprived of my grail by some miscreant. After getting the insurance settlement, I went back to Tiffany and bought another Atlas. The Gruen, alas, was history.
Today, I realize how small the Atlas is. I don't have my Atlas at hand now to measure it. But searching the web, I found many mentions that it's 31mm. Somehow that seems smaller than the small I reckoned it to be. When the watch comes up in its turn in my rotation I'll measure it to be sure.
Admitting it's small, I still love it.
But over the years from about 2000 on, I have gradually purchased larger watches, which fit my admittedly fat wrist much better. I do have a cousin to the Freddy Constant 37mm that got this whole thing started. I love the dial and wear the watch in its turn, but today I wouldn't buy it because of its size. I also had a Movado museum watch, which I thought was too small; I gave it to my daughter, who never wears it.
Give me an Alpina Startimer Pilot or Seastrong and I'm in hog heaven.

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

May I add that while MoT mentioned my "experience," I would point out that experience doesn't equal knowledge. I defer to others in matters horological.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 am You asked for it; so, as promised here it is. Be prepared to be bored.
----------

I can't swear to it, but I believe that when I first made an appearance in the delivery room of Parkside Hospital I was not wearing a watch. I eventually received a watch as a present sometime during my elementary school years. There's a picture somewhere that I hope to find of me on a swing twisting my wrist around the supporting chain so that the face of the watch would be facing the camera.
I can't remember any other watches than that one being worn through high school, upon graduation from which (1954) I received a gold--actually more likely a gold-filled--Gruen with stick indices from my parents as a present.
The Gruen was my main watch through the next several decades. It even survived an unintended ride through a washing machine. Sometime during the late 70s I guess it was, I put together enough shekels to purchase a Hamilton. It was quartz, which I didn't think anything of. To this day I am so ignorant of watch movements that I half believe that a tiny hamster in a wheel moves the hands. (You may have noticed--but probably not--that I never comment on technical aspects of horology. To quote Manuel from Fawlty Towers, "I know nothing!")
Somewhere along the line I picked up a couple of Seikos (one auto, one quartz--both now dead) and a pre-Eco-Drive Citizen, a rather small tonneau shaped faux-gold case (alive, but never worn now).
Unlike almost everyone else here who has a grail watch in their future, I started off--before getting serious about watches--with my grail watch (although the term was unknown to me then). Sometime in the 90s I bought a sterling silver Tiffany Atlas. it was quartz; that's what was going then. I loved the elegant simplicity of the watch. [Picture from the web.]

One day, before going to work, I had second thoughts about wearing the Tiffany watch and switched to the Hamilton. When I got home later in the day, I discovered I had been burgled and the Tiffany and the Gruen were gone along with some cash I had lying around after returning from a trip to Argentina.
However, I was not going to be deprived of my grail by some miscreant. After getting the insurance settlement, I went back to Tiffany and bought another Atlas. The Gruen, alas, was history.
Today, I realize how small the Atlas is. I don't have my Atlas at hand now to measure it. But searching the web, I found many mentions that it's 31mm. Somehow that seems smaller than the small I reckoned it to be. When the watch comes up in its turn in my rotation I'll measure it to be sure.
But over the years from about 2000 on, I have gradually purchased larger watches, which fit my admittedly fat wrist much better. I do have a cousin to the Freddy Constant 37mm that got this whole thing started. I love the dial and wear the watch in its turn, but today I wouldn't buy it because of its size. I also had a Movado museum watch, which I thought was too small; I gave it to my daughter, who never wears it.
Thank you for sharing that, I really enjoy reading about personal histories with hobbies.

That Tiffany Atlas is wonderful. If there were something like that MoT sized, I'd be very tempted by it.

As for "experience", that was a perhaps too subtle nod to your age.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 am You asked for it; so, as promised here it is. Be prepared to be bored.
----------

Fascinating, thank you for sharing! The Tiffany is pretty neat actually. Reminds me of some Omega Constellations. I love hearing about oddball watches that someone really likes.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I knew there was a reason I really liked you [mention]The Sultan of SoWhat[/mention]

Click Icon To Contact Me

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:You asked for it; so, as promised here it is. Be prepared to be bored.
----------

Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed that! It's great to put a story to the username of a fellow MoTer.
Living a comeback montage.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I just added a strained can of tuna to a can of chili to get my protein fix -- I meant to add Tobasco sauce but I forgot, still tastes fine. I am eating it with red wine and cheese with crackers. Lifting weights, listening to 'classic vinyl' rock and watching The Italian Job. #bachelorlife, lol. Update to add that it was the original Italian Job with Michael Caine.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:24 pm I just added a strained can of tuna to a can of chili to get my protein fix -- I meant to add Tobasco sauce but I forgot, still tastes fine. I am eating it with red wine and cheese with crackers. Lifting weights, listening to 'classic vinyl' rock and watching The Italian Job. #bachelorlife, lol.
------

Somehow I don't think that's in the Julia Child cookbook.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:47 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:24 pm I just added a strained can of tuna to a can of chili to get my protein fix -- I meant to add Tobasco sauce but I forgot, still tastes fine. I am eating it with red wine and cheese with crackers. Lifting weights, listening to 'classic vinyl' rock and watching The Italian Job. #bachelorlife, lol.
------

Somehow I don't think that's in the Julia Child cookbook.
Maybe if I add some onion soup mix?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Might I recommend this book

Click Icon To Contact Me

WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

I became a lurker and I don’t post as much as I used to, since I do feel obligated to purchase whatever watch I post. Am I the only one that feels guilty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.