Finding a job overseas

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Finding a job overseas

Post by Robotaz »

Anybody know where to even begin finding a job overseas?

Obviously most will say where do I want to go, but that’s not really what I’m talking about. I’m wondering if there is such a thing as a job board, or even a way to get aligned with recruiters.

I don’t have a place in mind. I just need a change and the world is too exciting to be bored.
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: Finding a job overseas

Post by pdsf »

Indeed has country-specific sites.

One key item to consider is eligibility to work. In most cases, employers have to justify why they have to hire a foreigner vs a local in the application for a work permit. The process could be a huge burden (administratively and financially). Some companies clearly state they’d only consider applicants who are already eligible to work. If some don’t, they screen you out after your disclosure of status. Big international companies likely have dedicated personnel to do that kind of stuff, so might be more open to undergoing that process. Countries like New Zealand do make the process easier to attract foreign talents, but you’d need the skills they want.

Another way is to get an internal transfer. My remote work enables me and my colleagues to work elsewhere. There are some restrictions and other specific considerations of course.

On a personal note, I always encourage folks to go live somewhere at least once in their lives. Broaden one’s horizon, expand your thinking, etc. but I am sure you have heard all of that before. :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I know and use several recruiters in Europe, and as @pdsf mentioned, Indeed is one of the better job boards. Most companies will find a way to bring you over if they want you, so don’t get overwhelmed by the need for eligibility. I have done this multiple times myself, and 10 to 12 times for people I hire. My wife also was able to find work here in a field that her degree and experience had little to do with…again the employers make it happen. Coming over as an IC is MUCH more difficult and I would advise against it.

On a more personal note, you appear to be a bit all over the place. I get that you want a change, but perhaps starting with a bit of a pause and soul-searching with some coaching would help you to get the perspective you appear to be chasing.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:00 am I know and use several recruiters in Europe, and as @pdsf mentioned, Indeed is one of the better job boards. Most companies will find a way to bring you over if they want you, so don’t get overwhelmed by the need for eligibility. I have done this multiple times myself, and 10 to 12 times for people I hire. My wife also was able to find work here in a field that her degree and experience had little to do with…again the employers make it happen. Coming over as an IC is MUCH more difficult and I would advise against it.

On a more personal note, you appear to be a bit all over the place. I get that you want a change, but perhaps starting with a bit of a pause and soul-searching with some coaching would help you to get the perspective you appear to be chasing.
Appreciate the different perspectives! I agree with soul searching for sure....
Robotaz
MoT Member

Finding a job overseas

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:I know and use several recruiters in Europe, and as [mention]pdsf[/mention] mentioned, Indeed is one of the better job boards. Most companies will find a way to bring you over if they want you, so don’t get overwhelmed by the need for eligibility. I have done this multiple times myself, and 10 to 12 times for people I hire. My wife also was able to find work here in a field that her degree and experience had little to do with…again the employers make it happen. Coming over as an IC is MUCH more difficult and I would advise against it.

I had 16 months off and found no direction. I’m moving away from soul searching towards getting back to work. I’d rather live abroad for a variety of reasons. I just thought while I’m looking and waiting that I could be looking for something in a place I really want to be. I can’t think of a place in the US I really want to be anymore, and the job I may be having to take in Denver, we’ll let’s just say I want to move to Denver like I want to move to Afghanistan. It does not feel like a new adventure. It feels like a death sentence. But honestly so does going anywhere around the US right now. I just want to do something else.

I e always had recruiters emailing and calling me constantly. How do I find a recruiter who can help with work overseas? My education and experience is valuable, so if there is such a thing as finding candidates in the Us and finding them work overseas, surely I’m a good candidate.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:31 am
watchpalooza wrote:I know and use several recruiters in Europe, and as @pdsf mentioned, Indeed is one of the better job boards. Most companies will find a way to bring you over if they want you, so don’t get overwhelmed by the need for eligibility. I have done this multiple times myself, and 10 to 12 times for people I hire. My wife also was able to find work here in a field that her degree and experience had little to do with…again the employers make it happen. Coming over as an IC is MUCH more difficult and I would advise against it.

I had 16 months off and found no direction. I’m moving away from soul searching towards getting back to work. I’d rather live abroad for a variety of reasons. I just thought while I’m looking and waiting that I could be looking for something in a place I really want to be. I can’t think of a place in the US I really want to be anymore, and the job I may be having to take in Denver, we’ll let’s just say I want to move to Denver like I want to move to Afghanistan. It does not feel like a new adventure. It feels like a death sentence. But honestly so does going anywhere around the US right now. I just want to do something else.

I e always had recruiters emailing and calling me constantly. How do I find a recruiter who can help with work overseas? My education and experience is valuable, so if there is such a thing as finding candidates in the Us and finding them work overseas, surely I’m a good candidate.
So much wrong with this, but so be it. Try these:

Oxford: https://oxfordcorp.com/en-us
La Fosse: https://www.lafosse.com/

Steve
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:I know and use several recruiters in Europe, and as @pdsf mentioned, Indeed is one of the better job boards. Most companies will find a way to bring you over if they want you, so don’t get overwhelmed by the need for eligibility. I have done this multiple times myself, and 10 to 12 times for people I hire. My wife also was able to find work here in a field that her degree and experience had little to do with…again the employers make it happen. Coming over as an IC is MUCH more difficult and I would advise against it.

Steve
Maybe, but I want to get back to work and there’s nothing where I am. If I have to move to Denver and rent to get back to work while I keep looking for new horizons, beats the hell out of sitting here bored. I’ve hiked, biked, and climbed half of Colorado for 16 months and completely beat the soul searching to death.

We do have friends in Denver so spending a year there wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’m just not buying a house and digging my heels in.

But back to overseas work, appreciate the leads on recruiters. It’s a good first step in at least seeing if something jumps out to keep me going that way.

Thanks!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:55 am
watchpalooza wrote:

Steve
Maybe, but I want to get back to work and there’s nothing where I am. If I have to move to Denver and rent to get back to work while I keep looking for new horizons, beats the hell out of sitting here bored. I’ve hiked, biked, and climbed half of Colorado for 16 months and completely beat the soul searching to death.

We do have friends in Denver so spending a year there wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’m just not buying a house and digging my heels in.

But back to overseas work, appreciate the leads on recruiters. It’s a good first step in at least seeing if something jumps out to keep me going that way.

Thanks!
All good - hopefully the start of a new journey. I have used both recruiters fairly regularly over the past 3 years. One additional I have used is Robert Walters (https://www.robertwaltersgroup.com/). They do more of the permanent placements. Good luck, and perhaps I will see you in Europe in 2022.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Robotaz
MoT Member

Finding a job overseas

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:

Steve

Thanks!
All good - hopefully the start of a new journey. I have used both recruiters fairly regularly over the past 3 years. One additional I have used is Robert Walters (https://www.robertwaltersgroup.com/). They do more of the permanent placements. Good luck, and perhaps I will see you in Europe in 2022.
Already submitted my resume to La Fosse and Oxford!

I will check this, too!

Really do appreciate it. I was an associate with Mott MacDonald out of the UK and managed their biggest gas projects in North America for 10 years. I hope they see the UK connection and it matters for whatever reason. I am very familiar with “Corporate UK”. Lived it daily, but from the US.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:18 am
watchpalooza wrote:

Thanks!
Already submitted my resume to La Fosse and Oxford!

I will check this, too!

Really do appreciate it. I was an associate with Mott MacDonald out of the UK and managed their biggest gas projects in North America for 10 years. I hope they see the UK connection and it matters for whatever reason. I am very familiar with “Corporate UK”. Lived it daily, but from the US.
If you get hung up at any point or do not get a response, just let me know and I will call the regional head.
Click Icon To Contact Me

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

A few months ago I experienced a powerful "cut and run" impulse that seemed to come from nowhere. At the time I attributed it to my divorce (finalized in January) and having recently attended a niece's wedding with my ex. But I never found a clear connection. Maybe these strange times contributed to it. It lasted several weeks. Being something of a free spirit it took effort to "stick to the plan" -- which I had to keep reminding myself. That, and: where would I go?

Confession: Estonia is my go-to runaway fantasy destination. Crazy, right? Change my mind. ;-)
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

BostonCharlie wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:53 pm A few months ago I experienced a powerful "cut and run" impulse that seemed to come from nowhere. At the time I attributed it to my divorce (finalized in January) and having recently attended a niece's wedding with my ex. But I never found a clear connection. Maybe these strange times contributed to it. It lasted several weeks. Being something of a free spirit it took effort to "stick to the plan" -- which I had to keep reminding myself. That, and: where would I go?

Confession: Estonia is my go-to runaway fantasy destination. Crazy, right? Change my mind. ;-)
Sorry, no, Estonia looks lovely! It would be on my list as well if Brexit hadn't happened. :?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

For anybody casting around for places to live, this Human Freedom Index report by the Cato Institute might provide some food for thought. I was pleased to see Estonia ranking so highly -- maybe I am on to something, there. :-)

This is just the first page of their rankings. They provide details about their methodology if you dig into the full report.
freedom_index.png
freedom_index.png (118.24 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Good info. Thanks, Charlie
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Well I had a final interview to manage the Knoxville branch of an engineering company and help them expand, so heading back to green forests and crystal clear lakes and rivers. The company acts like they’ve won the lottery and make me feel like $1,000,000, much unlike the international engineering companies where I worked previously.

It’s the one place in the US I’d love to be, so I’m very happy and feeling blessed.

If you see me AFK in the coming weeks, you’ll know why.