We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Re: Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Post by Miggyd87 »

Most every morning, out of easy, I have a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich with my coffee.

Update on my Moka pot experiences:
I've only made a few pots, as 3 cups (espresso cups) is alot of caffeine for me in one sitting as I make it after I get home from work. I have removed the metal base plate I had in my first photo as it took way way way to long to transfer the heat to the moka pot and made a horrible coffee. My most recent pot was very good. Extremely low flame, took an eternity, but was the best moka pot I have made by a long shot.

Other coffee news:
A local Italian deli, opened a "traditional" Italian open market w/ espresso bar. A co-worker and I are planning a work trip to the site so we can be assured everything is on the up and up. ;-)

Lastly:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a monthly (or varied time frame option) for coffee delivery? I would like suggestions that others have personally used, rather than one you saw your favorite influencer pushing on snapcrap. Thanks I advance
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Miggyd87 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:42 am Most every morning, out of easy, I have a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich with my coffee.

Update on my Moka pot experiences:
I've only made a few pots, as 3 cups (espresso cups) is alot of caffeine for me in one sitting as I make it after I get home from work. I have removed the metal base plate I had in my first photo as it took way way way to long to transfer the heat to the moka pot and made a horrible coffee. My most recent pot was very good. Extremely low flame, took an eternity, but was the best moka pot I have made by a long shot.

Other coffee news:
A local Italian deli, opened a "traditional" Italian open market w/ espresso bar. A co-worker and I are planning a work trip to the site so we can be assured everything is on the up and up. ;-)

Lastly:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a monthly (or varied time frame option) for coffee delivery? I would like suggestions that others have personally used, rather than one you saw your favorite influencer pushing on snapcrap. Thanks I advance
Thanks for the update. I admire the time you spend to get things right.

Interested to see if the Italian deli is legit...I wish we had something like that here.

I use Trade www.drinktrade.com - because it lets me sample coffees from different roasters around the country and it's easy to set your preferences and change the delivery date because I do order from Kaladi Brothers as well. I have not had any problems with them so far; it's been quite fun!
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

pdsf wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:21 am Interested to see if the Italian deli is legit...I wish we had something like that here.

I use Trade www.drinktrade.com - because it lets me sample coffees from different roasters around the country and it's easy to set your preferences and change the delivery date because I do order from Kaladi Brothers as well. I have not had any problems with them so far; it's been quite fun!
I'll report back when I eventually get to the deli.

Does Trade coffee print roast dates on their bags? Or do the bags come directly from the roastery and Trade just facilitates that process and take a cut?

I've heard of Atlas coffee as well. They sound similar.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Miggyd87 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:43 am
pdsf wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:21 am Interested to see if the Italian deli is legit...I wish we had something like that here.

I'll report back when I eventually get to the deli.

Does Trade coffee print roast dates on their bags? Or do the bags come directly from the roastery and Trade just facilitates that process and take a cut?

I've heard of Atlas coffee as well. They sound similar.
Coffee comes directly from the roasters and they always have the roast dates on the packaging. It looks like Trade provides them what they need (invoice and info templates, mailing materials) to send the coffee to subscribers. You can also get the roast day of the week info when you order so you can get the freshest possible (set your order mailing date after their roast date).
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

@pdsf I am going to have to look into Trade coffee.

Now I have to find a discount code, anyone know a website for deals? Lol
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:25 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:48 pm
pdsf wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:39 pm Hi @BostonCharlie - hmmmm, you just made me hungry. Yes, bagels are great, love them. I have a soft spot for honey on toast. Oh, and I love bundt cake! That should go very well with coffee! How about affogato for everyone!!?!? hmmmm
One of my favorite things to eat with coffee is a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Here's how I make mine:

Three slices of bread.
Toast one slice.
Spread peanut butter on each of the other two slices.
Spread honey on one side of toast, then put it honey side down on one of the peanut buttered slices.
Honey the other side of the toast.
Place final piece of bread on top.
Firmly press together.

It's like having a wedge of honeycomb in the middle of the sandwich. It's heaven.
That sounds amazing. I am going to try it tomorrow for breakfast!!! I love peanut butter as well and always have that handy. Thanks!!
Did you try it? What did you think?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Miggyd87 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 am @pdsf I am going to have to look into Trade coffee.

Now I have to find a discount code, anyone know a website for deals? Lol
On the site they're offering $15 off the first three bags and BeFrugal has 6% cash back.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

So I shot over to trade's site and entered some info, and I allowed them to pick my first coffee..

They selected a roastery from my local area! Lol
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

I signed up with Trade coffee for 6 months (1 bag every 4 weeks)

Refer a friend link:
(gets me credit towards coffee, if someone signs up using it)
http://s.trdcfe.me/67BjvQ

Now a deal:
Code: "PERKSPOT35"
Gives 35% off your first subscription (code saved me about $40)
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:43 am
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:48 pm

One of my favorite things to eat with coffee is a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Here's how I make mine:

Three slices of bread.
Toast one slice.
Spread peanut butter on each of the other two slices.
Spread honey on one side of toast, then put it honey side down on one of the peanut buttered slices.
Honey the other side of the toast.
Place final piece of bread on top.
Firmly press together.

It's like having a wedge of honeycomb in the middle of the sandwich. It's heaven.
That sounds amazing. I am going to try it tomorrow for breakfast!!! I love peanut butter as well and always have that handy. Thanks!!
I meant to update! So I was really looking forward to trying. Went to bed early so I could get up and eat. Slept well. Woke up. Ran to the kitchen. Made coffee. Then realized I was out of bread (including the ones in the freezer) argh! I keep forgetting to get bread since then....
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

pdsf wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:17 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:43 am

I meant to update! So I was really looking forward to trying. Went to bed early so I could get up and eat. Slept well. Woke up. Ran to the kitchen. Made coffee. Then realized I was out of bread (including the ones in the freezer) argh! I keep forgetting to get bread since then....
What would Elwood say?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

@ManOnTime - tried your recommendation and it's amazing! I think the toasted layer in the middle is ingenious!! It's yummy and it went perfectly well with my latte. :)

Thank you so much for all the yummy noises and extra calories in the future.

P.S. My mother is visiting and she loves coasters hahaha
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am @ManOnTime - tried your recommendation and it's amazing! I think the toasted layer in the middle is ingenious!! It's yummy and it went perfectly well with my latte. :)

So glad you liked it! It's the only way I'll eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and it's fun to experiment with different types of bread.

Here's my breakfast today:

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

pdsf wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am @ManOnTime - tried your recommendation and it's amazing! I think the toasted layer in the middle is ingenious!! It's yummy and it went perfectly well with my latte. :)

+1 for coaster lovers, lol. I really like these "dude" coasters I found at Walmart made of slate. I've been using them for a few months:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Pack-Slate ... /690391558

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:29 am

+1 for coaster lovers, lol. I really like these "dude" coasters I found at Walmart made of slate. I've been using them for a few months:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Pack-Slate ... /690391558

Coaster lovers unite! lol Those are absorbant, right? I have something similar and they work very well!