As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Re: Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

20220202_173517.jpg
Tomorrow, I'll have coffee in the Frankfurt airport. Kind of wish I spent a day there but oh well.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

nicegator wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm
Miggyd87 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:32 am
nicegator wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:53 pm So, my wife used to own every piece of coffee related equipment that was available 15 years ago. Then, after traveling to Germany we got hooked on a simple french press. When the glass #8 was broken, and I vacuumed the last piece of it, I got a metal french press, and this is what we use pretty much most of the time. When in real hurry - 5 cup Keurig. We like French dark roast grinded Arabica. Used to get Wegmans brand, but when COVID started tried same type from Walmart and somehow switched to it.
With Keurig - Peet's Major Dickason's brand is really nice, even in decaf deviation.
My $0.02.
I feel Pete's is a great national/easily source brand. They print the roast dates on the bags so you know how old the coffee is, and their pricing is quite competitive. Sometimes it's hard to find the freshest stuff (2 weeks after roast) but still a very good option even a month beyond the printed on roast date. Dig to the back of the shelf as newer/fresher coffee is put in back to move old product first.

I like major Dickerson for dark roast, but my favorite Pete's is Big Bang whole bean. It's a medium roast and when brewed correctly, it's so light and sweet. It was one of the first, if not the first, coffees I ground by hand and V60d myself. It was a life altering taste experience.
Just this morning tried Big Bang that arrived grounded from Amazon last night. Very interesting taste, really rounded. My wife liked it a lot.
Did somebody tried Peet's Coffee, Single Origin Brazil - Medium Roast?
Description says 100% Arabica?
Big bang is definitely much lighter and sweeter.

I have not tried the single origin Brazil. The selection locally is eh at best.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

20220203_085541.jpg
Couldn't find anything particularly German or unique here. Just a latte. It wasn't bad.

Edit:

Coffee on the flight.... lukewarm.
20220203_185944.jpg
Come on Lufthansa, an 8+ hour flight that took over 9 hours and I get lukewarm coffee... sad. Now I'm in Chicago maybe it's time to try that Pistachio Latte at Starubucks!
Last edited by Spirit of the Watch on Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:15 am 20220203_085541.jpg

Couldn't find anything particularly German or unique here. Just a latte. It wasn't bad.
German coffee is called 🍺 beer.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Some nice-looking coffee gear on sale: https://www.oldfaithfulshop.com/pages/fellow-collection?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Just want to check back in to say thank you to everyone for sharing your ideas, expertise, and tips!

@Spirit of the Watch's pics make me so hungry.
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

Was playing with the mix of different types of coffee. Zeroed on mixing French Dark roast and Peet's Big Bang in proportion 2:1.
Anyone has recipes to get something that wakes you up at 5 am and, at the same time, has some soft cocoa/ chocolate note to it?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

nicegator wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:43 am Was playing with the mix of different types of coffee. Zeroed on mixing French Dark roast and Peet's Big Bang in proportion 2:1.
Anyone has recipes to get something that wakes you up at 5 am and, at the same time, has some soft cocoa/ chocolate note to it?
I have enjoyed adding straight Hershey's cocoa powder (not a mix) to my mug of coffee. It settles over time so I stir it occasionally. Indeed, I liked it so much I started drinking just cocoa powder mixed into hot water. Probably an acquired taste, but my gateway was adding it to coffee.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

I recently picked up a Fellow Stagg EKG kettle, as my wife dropped my old one and it broke.

I got it for 15% off, and will report back with my thoughts after a few weeks of use.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I’m so excited about my options this morning!

/s

Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

New coffee experience.

3 cup moka pot.
IMG_20220214_172305031~3.jpg
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Been considering getting an entry level Jura - A1. Deciding between that and something like the Breville Barista Express (thanks, @Boourns). If I am not always going to be making a cappucino, I guess I don't really need a frother?!
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I have the Breville Barista Express too. We got it for our wedding and have had 10 years. It still works great and have never had any issues.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Stretch44 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:08 pm I have the Breville Barista Express too. We got it for our wedding and have had 10 years. It still works great and have never had any issues.
Thanks, @Stretch44. Been crazy busy but I should have some time today to do more research.

@Miggyd87 - how is the Fellow Stagg EKG kettle working out for you? I am thinking if I don't always drink expresso I could get that one too, as it seems to be good for tea as well, and ermmm, watering plants?!
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

pdsf wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:53 am
@Miggyd87 - how is the Fellow Stagg EKG kettle working out for you? I am thinking if I don't always drink expresso I could get that one too, as it seems to be good for tea as well, and ermmm, watering plants?!
The Fellow Stagg EKG is good.

Comes up to temp rather quickly and accurately hits the temp requested (flies from tap to 3°f of requested, than slowly taps up up till it hits the requested final temp). The kettle flies when boiling (212°f) is requested, it must just go full bore till it hits that max value. The kettles internal temp does drop rather quickly (7-10°f) when removed from the base, I appreciate that the base temp read out shows this. It makes me feel (and I confirmed) that the read out, is the actual internal temp, rather than just your requested temp spit back out. The kettle heats back up in under a minute when placed back onto the base. Keep in mind times will vary based on kettle volume.

The shape/egos of the kettle are fantastic. Nicely balanced even when at it's max volume of 0.9L. The spout has very good control, but the max flow rate is noticeably slower than other kettles I have used. If you are trying to get a large volume of H2O into a vessel as fast as possible (french press, or even tea) this isn't the kettle for you. For pour over (my everyday) it's great. Its ergos and spout really do allow for alot of control with minimal concentration (this means 5am sloppiness is less severe due to the low flow rate, and the kettles in hand balance)

I don't care for the UI on the base. The temp hold is on the rear, and I can't remember if it's on the rear left or right as the base has no indication on the top. The dial/temp set control does feel a bit....cheap(?). It works, but compared to the kettle itself and the solidity of the base, the knob feels chintzy. It works, and I havn't had an issue (2 weeks of use only) but it def doesn't feel are robust as the rest of the unit.

Also everytime I plug the kettle in it defaults to 212°f, my old kettle would maintain my previous temp choice (185 or 200 or 210f). This isnt the worst thing, but I do find it to be a bit annoying personally.

Lastly is the finish. I bought the black with black resin handle, as it was the cheapest. I just don't like the black kettle. The handle is fine, but the all black kettle I just don't care for. Finish itself is fine, but subjectively I don't personally like it.

All and all, I can see where the $160 has gone. The design is very good, and is really focused on (what I consider) important factors in an electric temp control gooseneck kettle. (Temp control & spout/H2O delivery)

I spent $135 on mine, as Fellow had a 15% off sale, but would more than likely spend full asking if I had to replace it down the line (assuming my current kettle lasts a fair amount of time).