We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Value Conscious Collecting vs Flipping

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
denormalize
MoT Member

Post by denormalize »

Bringing the discussion from HUISABH over to General Discussion

Personal Opinion:

I think there is a definite distinction between value conscious buying for your personal collection and "Flipping".

I think we are all here to get the best deals on watches that we can get so we can enjoy this hobby or passion in a fiscally responsible or at least const conscious way. Given that we often sell and trade the watches we purchase, it makes sense to look at their value on the secondary market and know what you could possibly get back for the investment you are about to make.

The common definition for a flipper is someone that is buying something to turn a quick profit on the secondary market, whether that is shoes, pokemon cards, or watches, they are not purchasing them for their own personal use. The problem is this just reduces already constrained supplies, inflates prices and forces people that want the watch to go to the secondary market at a higher cost to get it. As a business practice, it opportunistic and offers little to no true value to anyone other than the flipper and the manufacturers who are controlling inventory to perpetuate the practice in order to raise prices.

My two cents, would love to hear others opinions, is my definition wrong?
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Re: Value Conscious Collecting vs Flipping

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

That makes sense and aligns to my thinking.

When it comes to flipping in most cases, and this applies to watches, it's a bit annoying, when it's make it more challenging to obtain something you're after. But at the end of the day its pretty insignificant and there is more important stuff to get worked up over.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

Also your point about do we consider resale to continue to fund our hobby. I think in most cases we do that, even unintentionally because we know general pricing of items from our knowledge and experience.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

WingNut
MoT Member

Post by WingNut »

Profiteering sucks...I have never bought a watch with the intent to "flip" it...I have sold many watches and at best got back what I paid for a couple...

When I am searching for a watch and I see it being sold pre-owned I research the crap out of it...I will never pay more than the lowest price I've found it sold for...The exception would be a rare or "unobtainable" piece that I crave and even then I wouldn't take being gouged...

Just my .02
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I call getting a watch and quickly selling it because I don’t want it, “flipping”. Couldn’t care less about making money. I just try not to lose too much and look for deals. This forum is about watch deals and if people think there aren’t lurkers profiteering off of this place, they’re crazy, and if worried about it, I think wasting their time. The world is full of greedy cheapskates. I ignore them.

Edit - And something to keep in mind, this site isn’t a charity. It takes watch deal seekers of all types to support the place. The fact there are lurkers looking to buy watch deals we post and sell the watches immediately just reinforces the need to check in often and beat them.
denormalize
MoT Member

Post by denormalize »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:41 pm I call getting a watch and quickly selling it because I don’t want it, “flipping”.
I think this is something we have all done, due to staying home or the lack of options to try on microbrands or more obscure brands. I know I have bought a number of watches and the just haven't clicked, so they go up in the Bazaar or the Second Chance forum.