As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Is Ashford dead?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Is Ashford dead?

Post by Robotaz »

They’ve been down for at least a week.

The owners are a bit shady in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went bankrupt and are selling the company as functional at top dollar, like they repeatedly do, leaving the company and the new owner in the ashes to burn.

Thoughts?
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Is Ashford dead?

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:35 pm They’ve been down for at least a week.

The owners are a bit shady in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went bankrupt and are selling the company as functional at top dollar, like they repeatedly do, leaving the company and the new owner in the ashes to burn.

Thoughts?
The site seems to be working for me.

I haven't heard or seen anything regarding financial troubles, but I also haven't been paying attention either.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Is Ashford dead?

Post by Robotaz »

This is what I’ve been seeing for over a week….

Here is using Brave…

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:50 pm This is what I’ve been seeing for over a week….

Here is using Brave…

How strange. It's coming up on all my devices.

That NSURL error usually happens when the device is attempting to retrieve data while on a voice call and is in a situation where data and voice is not possible, but you're connected to WiFi, so that can't be it.

Have you tried turning your devices off and back on? :D
Delete cache/cookies?
Flush DNS?

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Robotaz
MoT Member

Is Ashford dead?

Post by Robotaz »

I am on iOS devices and not surprised by anything that is screwed up or doesn’t work. Apple sucks at everything except hype.

I deleted Safari data and it didn’t do anything. I turned wifi off and I see the website. How could wifi cause it to not work? ISP blocking a watch site?

Edit - For what it’s worth, I also cannot access my wifi router. I have no idea why but when I try the address it just hangs. The service is a 1Gb service from “Ben Lomand” which is a local provider here in central TN.
Last edited by Robotaz on Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:03 pm I am on iOS devices and not surprised by anything that is screwed up or doesn’t work. Apple sucks at everything except hype.

I deleted Safari data and it didn’t do anything. I turned wifi off and I see the website. How could wifi cause it to not work? ISP blocking a watch site?
Probably not. If it's working over WiFi on non-iOS devices, I'd assume the issue lies somewhere with iOS.

My next step would be to power cycle the device and the router. Turn the iOS device off, then unplug the router for 30-60 seconds, then plug it back in. Once it's back up and active, turn the iOS device back on.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Is Ashford dead?

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:03 pm I am on iOS devices and not surprised by anything that is screwed up or doesn’t work. Apple sucks at everything except hype.

Probably not. If it's working over WiFi on non-iOS devices, I'd assume the issue lies somewhere with iOS.

My next step would be to power cycle the device and the router. Turn the iOS device off, then unplug the router for 30-60 seconds, then plug it back in. Once it's back up and active, turn the iOS device back on.
We don’t have any non-iOS devices. My PC is in storage. I’m on my iPad and iPhone.

Tried and didn’t fix. My iPhone and iPad both won’t reach the site. I have a 1Gb service that has been pretty much flawless. I may call them and ask what’s going on, but I doubt they’ll have an answer.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I just “Reset Network Settings” on the iPad and no good.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:13 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

We don’t have any non-iOS devices. My PC is in storage. I’m on my iPad and iPhone.

Tried and didn’t fix. My iPhone and iPad both won’t reach the site. I have a 1Gb service that has been pretty much flawless. I may call them and ask what’s going on, but I doubt they’ll have an answer.
My hunch is they'd tell you to do what I mentioned or to contact Apple.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:13 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Probably not. If it's working over WiFi on non-iOS devices, I'd assume the issue lies somewhere with iOS.

My hunch is they'd tell you to do what I mentioned or to contact Apple.
Right.

I turned off VPN. Set DNS to manual. Hard reset, etc. I have not seen this with a single other website. Really odd.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Recalls to mind my first contact with Apple computers at the lab in college. I would invariably get tangled up somehow, sometimes to the point where I gave up and manually power cycled the machine (couldn't even find the effing power switch! I might have unplugged it). Another time in college a Mac totally scrambled a report I was working on during a timed contest. The auto-save saved the scrambled report over the good one -- brilliant! Maybe that's why I am generally leery of automation.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

@Robotaz di you get things working again?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:[mention]Robotaz[/mention] di you get things working again?
Nope. I can’t replicate it with any other website either.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 am
watchpalooza wrote:@Robotaz di you get things working again?
Your screenshot shows a padlock...meaning safari is trying to authenticate using secure protocol. Perhaps nanually typing in the full address? http://www.ashford.com
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 am
watchpalooza wrote:@Robotaz di you get things working again?
Your screenshot shows a padlock...meaning safari is trying to authenticate using secure protocol. Perhaps nanually typing in the full address? http://www.ashford.com
Still nada. This one is over my head. I usually can figure out these kinds of issues. [emoji2369]