We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Credit Cards

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Credit Cards

Post by Robotaz »

Of all places, I thought of MoT to talk about this.

I’m shopping for a new credit card. I’m mainly concerned about cash back. I don’t carry a balance and I won’t be transferring one.

I care most about the grocery and gas, and this seems like a good one:

CapitolOne SavorOne has 3% on grocer and dining, and 1% other.

Citi Double Cash has 1% on all purchases and 1% when you pay it off, so 2% on everything.

American Express Blue Cash Preferred, really high cash back, but I don’t have experience with AE as fas as using in all the places I shop.

There are some others. US Bank has one with higher cash back I think 3% on 2 categories, 1.5% on another you pick, and 1% after that.

Anyone a wizard on this stuff?
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Credit Cards

Post by Boourns »

I've had the Amex Blue for years now. It's great. The only place I ever go that doesn't take it is Costco and then every once in a while buying a watch from overseas from smaller places. Timefactors, for instance, doesn't take Amex.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Boourns wrote:I've had the Amex Blue for years now. It's great. The only place I ever go that doesn't take it is Costco and then every once in a while buying a watch from overseas from smaller places. Timefactors, for instance, doesn't take Amex.
Good to know. Thanks. It seems like a good cash back card.
djw1674
MoT Member

Post by djw1674 »

Check out the Bank of America cash rewards card. No annual fee. You pick the 3% category from several different ones. (I use it for online purchases.) And you can change it occasionally depending on your spending.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

djw1674 wrote:Check out the Bank of America cash rewards card. No annual fee. You pick the 3% category from several different ones. (I use it for online purchases.) And you can change it occasionally depending on your spending.

It’s a good program. I can’t remember if it’s US Bank or BoA that has a 3% category, but gas and grocery aren’t in it.

And I noticed both only go up to $2500/qurter. I may do better with a flat 1.5%. Gotta do the math I guess.

For most people the 3%/2%/1% cash back cards are great if you don’t carry a balance or care about transfers and stuff. I use mine like a debit card.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 am
djw1674 wrote:Check out the Bank of America cash rewards card. No annual fee. You pick the 3% category from several different ones. (I use it for online purchases.) And you can change it occasionally depending on your spending.

It’s a good program. I can’t remember if it’s US Bank or BoA that has a 3% category, but gas and grocery aren’t in it.

And I noticed both only go up to $2500/qurter. I may do better with a flat 1.5%. Gotta do the math I guess.

For most people the 3%/2%/1% cash back cards are great if you don’t carry a balance or care about transfers and stuff. I use mine like a debit card.
------

I just received a mailing from Bread Cashback American Express card.

They're offering 2% back on everything. No annual fee.

Breadcashback.com
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:

------

Breadcashback.com
I think that’s a good deal for a lot of people.

I spend a ton at the grocery and on gas, so there’s an American Express card paying 6% on grocery ($6,000 max) and 3% on gas and streaming (unlimited).

I am looking very closely at it. It’s called Blue Cash Preferred.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:00 pm

------

Breadcashback.com

I spend a ton at the grocery and on gas, so there’s an American Express card paying 6% on grocery ($6,000 max) and 3% on gas and streaming (unlimited).

------------

Annual Fee $95.

For me, I have this thing against such fees.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:00 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: ------

Breadcashback.com

------------

Annual Fee $95.

For me, I have this thing against such fees.
Net positive is net positive in my book. Plus they credit $30 towards streaming so it’s only $65. I ran my budget through a cashback calculator and I’ll get at least $200 more a year with this card if I use it 100%, but the problem is using it everywhere when it’s not Visa or MC. I guess I can try it and find out. I don’t like hard credit hits over BS though.