We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Happy Fourth Anniversary!

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Happy Fourth Anniversary!

Post by MoT »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:31 pm Joined day 2 I believe, but only because that's when it became tapatalkable.
Nope, you're a Day 1. :o
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cairoanan
MoT Member

Post by cairoanan »

Day 1 feels like yesterday. Thanks MoT for finding us a home.
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

I do have a lot of great memories here. The forum (and more recently and in a greater capacity) the discord has really helped me through some difficult times, and significant life events. To an outsider it might sound a little weird. They're just watches, but it's not just the watches and the awesomeness and craftsmanship and aesthetic pleasure of a watch. It's the thrill of the chase for the best deals. It's the camaraderie in having friends who share the same quirky passion.

I have great personal memories of being welcomed back with open arms after ghosting... twice. I have amazing memories of people on the discord/forum coming together to help other members in need. Similarly awesome memories of us coming together for charity and other good causes.

If I had to pick a "single" memory it would be just the general memory the latest challenge on the discord (which is still going!). There's been plenty of ups and downs in this challenge. Hilarious moments, genuinely upsetting and contentious times, but in the end it's been a massive undertaking, and I for one did come out of it having (sorta) learned a lesson on impulse purchases.

People here come from all different backgrounds, ideologies, ages, and in general all walks of life. It's beautiful that something as inherently silly (to outsiders) as chasing cheap well-priced man-jewelry can have such a profound effect on our lives, yet here we are. Here's to many more years, my friends.
Scruffy believes in this forum
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Also, fun memory. I went 8-9 months without buying a single watch as I was participating in the WPAC. A few months here? Bought a damn Speedy AND a Snowflake in the same week!! And I had never bought anything over $400 at the time. Rakuten global for the speedy and Maple Jewelers in Canada for the GS at 30% off and a favorable exchange rate. Downside? Maple would only ship within Canada. I hit up an Xbox buddy in St. Albert who I played NHL09-2017 with and asked for a favor.

This is a person I have NEVER met, but much like many members here, felt I could still trust.

Buddy wouldn't even let me reimburse him for the shipping.

Turns out, internet friends can be legitimate friends.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Happy anniversary all! You all have truly been the best watch people on the internet. Great conversations, hilarious hysteria over website error deals that I fully participated in, sending watches to each other to try, celebrating big acquisitions and even personal milestones. Here's to the next four!
Dius
MoT Member

Post by Dius »

Honestly my favorite memory about this board is all the drama on the other site that lead to this boards creation. Train wrecks are usually a good show.
victo66
MoT Member

Post by victo66 »

My favorite memory was seeing the issue take place at the other site, then learning that plans for this one were underway. I wondered about the new site and how good it could be since it seemed to be a grass roots effort. The result: it turned out to be awesome, and outshines where we all came from in many ways. Here's to many more years.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

victo66 wrote:My favorite memory was seeing the issue take place at the other site, then learning that plans for this one were underway. I wondered about the new site and how good it could be since it seemed to be a grass roots effort. The result: it turned out to be awesome, and outshines where we all came from in many ways. Here's to many more years.
I agree with this. And the fact that it legitimately came down to Matt wanting to continue his monthly stats that turned into a forum is simply magical.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Sampson
MoT Member

Post by Sampson »

Took me a bit of time to find this site from the other but it’s worth it