Glucometers Anonymous (thread for blood sugar trackers)

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Glucometers Anonymous (thread for blood sugar trackers)

Post by BostonCharlie »

Breaking this out from the original discussion here. Monitoring my blood sugar has been interesting and helpful. You too? Chime in.

Halaku wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:49 am
MoT wrote:
BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:08 am I'll spare the backstory and just say I recently wanted to start monitoring my blood sugar. Naturally I started searching the web and found many options. After sifting through them I had to laugh, because the best rated name brand OTC tester was at my local Walmart.

What makes this is a deal is that while Walmart (and probably other pharmacies) will sell you a legit full kit for $20, many rando 3rd party sellers on Amazon will gladly charge you more. In addition, the Walmart kit includes the lancing device and lances, which wasn't obvious at all from its online listing.

Ascensia Contour Next ONE (slaves to strange product naming?)
Product review here.
Sold at Walmart by Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CONTOUR-NEXT ... 1545474442

Above kit includes their own lancing device + 20 lances (mine did, anyhow, to my surprise). Looks like this but w/o the packaging:

What it doesn't include is control solution, which you use to test the meter and the strips (if you suspect they've gone bad -- guess they're sensitive). I wanted to buy from someplace that would have handled it appropriately and not sell me something out of date. Shipped, these guys are the same price as other anonymous "third parties":

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/769 ... l-solution

I've been a diabetic for 12+ years, if you've had an official diagnosis, welcome to the "club". 8-)

That's a good device, I've had it. The downside is the strips. Expensive if you're insurance doesn't cover them. Control solution? Not really necessary, but doesn't hurt having it.

Walmart sells a brand of meter and strips (Relion) that are quite inexpensive and in my experience, work just as well as the "big name" systems I've had.

It's too late since you've made the purchases but talk to your endocrinologist/primary. They'll be able to prescribe a machine/strips that your insurance covers. Again, moot since you've already made a purchase, so in that case talk to them about a Constant Glucose Monitor. A sensor on your arm twice a month and an app on your phone. Keep the finger poke machine for a back up.
The arm sensor and app are the most convenient and easy to use , but it comes with a catch, insurance will only cover it if you take insulin twice a day or more . At least thats what my mom’s insurance says . An excellent book i found of great help was .. The End of Diabetes by Joel Fuhrman
MoT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:03 am It's always a good idea for a person to check with their insurance about coverage. Mine does cover the CGM without being on insulin, but I know many do not.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Glucometers Anonymous (thread for blood sugar trackers)

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:59 pm Breaking this out from the original discussion here. Monitoring my blood sugar has been interesting and helpful. You too? Chime in.

Halaku wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:49 am
MoT wrote:
I've been a diabetic for 12+ years, if you've had an official diagnosis, welcome to the "club". 8-)

That's a good device, I've had it. The downside is the strips. Expensive if you're insurance doesn't cover them. Control solution? Not really necessary, but doesn't hurt having it.

Walmart sells a brand of meter and strips (Relion) that are quite inexpensive and in my experience, work just as well as the "big name" systems I've had.

It's too late since you've made the purchases but talk to your endocrinologist/primary. They'll be able to prescribe a machine/strips that your insurance covers. Again, moot since you've already made a purchase, so in that case talk to them about a Constant Glucose Monitor. A sensor on your arm twice a month and an app on your phone. Keep the finger poke machine for a back up.
The arm sensor and app are the most convenient and easy to use , but it comes with a catch, insurance will only cover it if you take insulin twice a day or more . At least thats what my mom’s insurance says . An excellent book i found of great help was .. The End of Diabetes by Joel Fuhrman
MoT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:03 am It's always a good idea for a person to check with their insurance about coverage. Mine does cover the CGM without being on insulin, but I know many do not.

I'll be honest: I stopped using my CGM, and as of this week my A1C is 5.5, so I don't believe I will be using one again in the foreseeable future. However, I still recommend them.

I will however still use a finger poke meter from time to time, just to see how things are going. (And still have an A1C test every 3-6 months.)
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

MoT wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:47 pm I'll be honest: I stopped using my CGM, and as of this week my A1C is 5.5, so I don't believe I will be using one again in the foreseeable future. However, I still recommend them.

I will however still use a finger poke meter from time to time, just to see how things are going. (And still have an A1C test every 3-6 months.)
It was an A1C test that got me. My doc told me I was pre-diabetic and I figured it was because of the spot glucose test and I brushed it off as a fluke. But when I looked at the lab report myself and googled the A1C, it got my attention -- 5.8, which they figure is an average glucose level of 120 (not sure if age/sex/weight factor into that). Pretty cool being able to estimate average glucose level like that. Congrats on getting yours down to 5.5!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:30 pm
MoT wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:47 pm I'll be honest: I stopped using my CGM, and as of this week my A1C is 5.5, so I don't believe I will be using one again in the foreseeable future. However, I still recommend them.

It was an A1C test that got me. My doc told me I was pre-diabetic and I figured it was because of the spot glucose test and I brushed it off as a fluke. But when I looked at the lab report myself and googled the A1C, it got my attention -- 5.8, which they figure is an average glucose level of 120 (not sure if age/sex/weight factor into that). Pretty cool being able to estimate average glucose level like that. Congrats on getting yours down to 5.5!
5.8 is barely pre-diabetic (anything above 5.7), so you're not too deep into the woods.

A1C is a ~3 month average of the glucose level in the blood. Age and weight don't really play a role, but other medical conditions and medications/supplements can. Your primary should be aware of any and be able to factor it in treatment decision making.

Spot glucose readings are often lower than an A1C because many people do a check before a meal, or in the morning after having fasted all night.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

So far the only staple of mine that has been categorically ruled out is pancakes. Of course, they are pancakes, but I was still surprised to see my glucose rocket like it did, even without a sweet topping. Then I read the pancake mix label (*facepalm*).

The other thing I've learned is that what I thought was an aerobic cardio workout is actually high intensity -- I get myself up to 170-180 bpm, which I read is high intensity for my age. And high intensity workouts can raise blood sugar instead of lowering it. Reading online, they still encourage high intensity exercise for sods like me, but in my case I had hit the gym after my high pancake reading hoping to lower it only to have it go higher, lol.

I promptly tried to use this as an excuse to buy a watch with a heart monitor. ;-)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

So, yeah, when you read about foods to avoid it all makes sense and you figure it's negotiable -- give and take and moderation. And then you take a blood sugar test after a meal and your eyes pop out. Nothing like seeing it real time to make it hit home.

For me, white flour consistently knocks my blood sugar out of the ballpark: pancakes, saltines, and spaghetti are confirmed offenders. Even with a protein-heavy accompaniment, my blood sugar was way out of range even two hours later. Of course, that's just me. But now I know what to avoid.

My point is to recommend getting a glucose tester, so you can see for yourself what works and what doesn't.

Even if your A1C isn't out of whack like mine, this article makes the case for minimizing blood sugar.

In other news, I just started taking apple cider vinegar pills to see if it lowers my blood sugar. I was reluctant at first, because it sounds like an internet fad, but what the heck. So far it seems helpful -- we'll see.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:00 pm So, yeah, when you read about foods to avoid it all makes sense and you figure it's negotiable -- give and take and moderation. And then you take a blood sugar test after a meal and your eyes pop out. Nothing like seeing it real time to make it hit home.

For me, white flour consistently knocks my blood sugar out of the ballpark: pancakes, saltines, and spaghetti are confirmed offenders. Even with a protein-heavy accompaniment, my blood sugar was way out of range even two hours later. Of course, that's just me. But now I know what to avoid.

My point is to recommend getting a glucose tester, so you can see for yourself what works and what doesn't.

Even if your A1C isn't out of whack like mine, this article makes the case for minimizing blood sugar.

In other news, I just started taking apple cider vinegar pills to see if it lowers my blood sugar. I was reluctant at first, because it sounds like an internet fad, but what the heck. So far it seems helpful -- we'll see.

Take a diabetes education class if you can. Ask your primary, they should be able to refer you to one. In my experience, it's worth it.

Basically cut as many carbs and sugar from your diet as reasonably possible. Diabetics (and pre-diabetics) should aim for no more than 45-60g of carbs per meal, 20g if having a snack. Everything you listed (that I highlighted) is basically nothing but carbs, so they will have a big impact. Remember, eating more protein doesn't offset the carbs; only consuming less carbs does that.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT