We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Post by Boourns »

pdsf wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:35 am I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread vs start a new one, as I am thinking a lot of the info and brands mentioned are still relevant now.

I used to love using a fountain pen back when I was at school. I have been tolerating a scratchy pen lately, as I haven't needed to write much since COVID started, but things might change soon. I need to write quickly and legibily, and a scratchy pen prevents me from doing both (and my handwriting is bad enough already), so now I am thinking about getting a fountain pen but I wonder if I should also look at a super smooth ballpoint. Any input if anyone is still reading?
I really like my Pilot Metropolitan. It's a fine tip, but it writes much smoother than others I've tried. I must be one of the few who really hated the Lamy Safari writing experience. So scratchy.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I must be one of the few weirdos that actually likes their pens to be a bit scratchy.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Boourns wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 am
pdsf wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:35 am I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread vs start a new one, as I am thinking a lot of the info and brands mentioned are still relevant now.

I used to love using a fountain pen back when I was at school. I have been tolerating a scratchy pen lately, as I haven't needed to write much since COVID started, but things might change soon. I need to write quickly and legibily, and a scratchy pen prevents me from doing both (and my handwriting is bad enough already), so now I am thinking about getting a fountain pen but I wonder if I should also look at a super smooth ballpoint. Any input if anyone is still reading?
I really like my Pilot Metropolitan. It's a fine tip, but it writes much smoother than others I've tried. I must be one of the few who really hated the Lamy Safari writing experience. So scratchy.
Good to know about the Lamy Safari - a lot of people rave about that one. I do not like scratchy.. :)
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:01 am I must be one of the few weirdos that actually likes their pens to be a bit scratchy.
Hmmmm.. yes.
;)
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Since Tactile Turn has been mentioned, some of you might be interested in this (not a fountain pen):

https://tactileturn.com/
Screenshot 2020-12-15 062922.png
Screenshot 2020-12-15 062917.png
Screenshot 2020-12-15 064427.png
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

I used to collect pens and still own them. Nothing beats writing with a fountain pen, although I have a few fine rollerballs and a ball point.

I have Montblancs, Watermans, an Aurora, and my most recent acquisition a couple of years ago is a Montegrappa Copper Mule rollerball.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

PetrosD wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:34 am I used to collect pens and still own them. Nothing beats writing with a fountain pen, although I have a few fine rollerballs and a ball point.

I have Montblancs, Watermans, an Aurora, and my most recent acquisition a couple of years ago is a Montegrappa Copper Mule rollerball.
Which one is your favorite rollerball? :)
ttix67

Post by ttix67 »

I understand the appeal of a fountain pen, but given how electronic everything is nowadays, it becomes harder to use a fountain pen before it dries. To that end, I prefer a solid ballpoint or rollerball just out of sheer convenience. But my sample size is limited to the Bock nibs and Pelican Edelstein inks. I think I have a few cartridges that may have dried out since acquiring so this reminds me that I should put them to good use . . .
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ttix67 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 pm I understand the appeal of a fountain pen, but given how electronic everything is nowadays, it becomes harder to use a fountain pen before it dries. To that end, I prefer a solid ballpoint or rollerball just out of sheer convenience. But my sample size is limited to the Bock nibs and Pelican Edelstein inks. I think I have a few cartridges that may have dried out since acquiring so this reminds me that I should put them to good use . . .
Too bad we can't have a thread that only handwritten posts are allowed. :D
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:01 am
ttix67 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 pm I understand the appeal of a fountain pen, but given how electronic everything is nowadays, it becomes harder to use a fountain pen before it dries. To that end, I prefer a solid ballpoint or rollerball just out of sheer convenience. But my sample size is limited to the Bock nibs and Pelican Edelstein inks. I think I have a few cartridges that may have dried out since acquiring so this reminds me that I should put them to good use . . .
Well, why not?

Write a post on paper, scan it, and post it. If a member doesn't have a scanner, they most likely have a phone with a camera. Take a picture of the hand-written reply and post that.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:15 am
pdsf wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:01 am
Well, why not?

Write a post on paper, scan it, and post it. If a member doesn't have a scanner, they most likely have a phone with a camera. Take a picture of the hand-written reply and post that.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I've always wondered about this...

Is it best to store your filled fountain pens nib up, nib down or laying on their side?

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I've been meaning to post in here for awhile. I don't have any nice pens, but would like a fountain pen for sign documents. Anyone have any suggestions?
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:11 pm I've been meaning to post in here for awhile. I don't have any nice pens, but would like a fountain pen for sign documents. Anyone have any suggestions?
How much do you want to spend?
I wish that watch were 38mm?