We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: Anyone else here into Fountain Pens?

Post by Stretch44 »

That's the question. I see pens range in price like watches. I guess around a hundred? I would only use it for signing documents. I also hate scratchy pens.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Stretch44 wrote:That's the question. I see pens range in price like watches. I guess around a hundred? I would only use it for signing documents. I also hate scratchy pens.
Maybe try a pilot vanishing point if you can. They are really nice, I got to borrow one from a friend a year back and really enjoyed it. Still haven't bought one myself because I haven't been writing much these days. If you only want to spend like $30 then I still freaking love my TWSBI eco with a medium nib, it holds so much ink. Plus their customer service is awesome. Diamine cornflower is still my go-to ink as well, if you're wondering about inks.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'm down to spend $30! I only threw $100 because I had no idea.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

ManOnTime wrote:I've always wondered about this...

Is it best to store your filled fountain pens nib up, nib down or laying on their side?
Generally speaking, I think most people agree on storing horizontally or nib up. But it doesn't really matter. Nib up helps prevent leakage and over saturation in the nib section, horizontal in a bag can slosh the ink around too though so probably only nib up when transporting. No matter how you store them it won't make much of a difference.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 pm That's the question. I see pens range in price like watches. I guess around a hundred? I would only use it for signing documents. I also hate scratchy pens.
I'm still a novice pen collector and haven't spent more than about $85 on a single pen, but my pilot metropolitan is my smoothest writing pen. It's great for signing things. And it's like $20. That and a bottle of Parker Quink in blue-black and you're good to go for $35.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Appreciate some pen advice.

I'm not into the pen hobby but I do appreciate a fine writing instrument. I have an old Montblanc laying around somewhere and would like to get something new.

Main considerations are up to $100 but doesn't have to be near the high end, no fountain pens, key feature is smoothness, others include medium tip or close to it, easy to find refills at reasonable prices, lasting quality.

Two or three suggestions would be best unless there is clear cut consensus. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:08 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 pm That's the question. I see pens range in price like watches. I guess around a hundred? I would only use it for signing documents. I also hate scratchy pens.
I'm still a novice pen collector and haven't spent more than about $85 on a single pen, but my pilot metropolitan is my smoothest writing pen. It's great for signing things. And it's like $20. That and a bottle of Parker Quink in blue-black and you're good to go for $35.
My go-to is a Parker Jotter fountain with a medium point nib and the Blue-Black ink. I think any Parker fountain is a good choice.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll find something in the $50 range. Watched a video on the vanishing point and that is one slick pen. I'll post what I get on here.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 pm Appreciate some pen advice.

I'm not into the pen hobby but I do appreciate a fine writing instrument. I have an old Montblanc laying around somewhere and would like to get something new.

Main considerations are up to $100 but doesn't have to be near the high end, no fountain pens, key feature is smoothness, others include medium tip or close to it, easy to find refills at reasonable prices, lasting quality.

Two or three suggestions would be best unless there is clear cut consensus. Thanks.

Actually I have been looking for the same recommendations - need a super smooth pen because I need to write fast, so I am guessing fountain pen is out...

I have a couple of Tactile Turn pens so mainly after refills. I have been tempted to get a Montblanc but do they offer the smoothest experience? Probably not...

Appreciate the previous suggestions for a nice fountain pen by the folks here, and I still am going to get one, but for writing fast, I guess I do need a ballpoint or gel. Could be wrong though.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

pdsf wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 pm Appreciate some pen advice.

Actually I have been looking for the same recommendations - need a super smooth pen because I need to write fast, so I am guessing fountain pen is out...

I have a couple of Tactile Turn pens so mainly after refills. I have been tempted to get a Montblanc but do they offer the smoothest experience? Probably not...

Appreciate the previous suggestions for a nice fountain pen by the folks here, and I still am going to get one, but for writing fast, I guess I do need a ballpoint or gel. Could be wrong though.
The ballpoints I have used are much smoother than gel.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Paper Mate InkJoy pens have been among the smoothest pens I've written with, and the best part is they are very inexpensive.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
ivo p
MoT Member

Post by ivo p »

Have quite a few fountain pens- love old Sheaffers, new ones, pilot vanishing point is great concept, love my Pelikan m800 ( maybe the most striking in my collection)....

Though the ones I most use ate those two Lamy 2000, just such a clean design....

And as notebook - the Atoma concept, such a great way to add/ remove pages, while the notebook sits absolutely flat.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this so after some quick research I have decided on the Lamy 2000. I think the Rollerball med tip would be best all around for me. Problem is I also want the fountain pen model, that I I just ordered. I guess I'm in the hobby now - NOT. Once, no more, that's it. It's been eons since I wrote using a fountain pen and ink well. Any fountain pen ink suggestion for this pen, bold, crisp, quick drying, suggestions of any kind about anything?

Is it worth waiting for a sale on the Lamy 2000 Rollerball, medium. Around $65 right now.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I'm happy with my purchase, will have to readjust my strong grip due to all the whatever comes my way pens I've been using for some time. A good thing, better writing and less writing fatigue. Lots of info about this pen on the web, so I won't go into details except for these few comments. There are no markings on the pen denoting the nib size, according to the box this is a fine point, which is the one I ordered. I was originally leaning towards the medium, but so glad I got the fine instead after reading these nibs tend to write broad. Measuring the written lines with a digital caliper I get mostly between .43 and .53, as low as .30 and as broad as .63 with a slow stroke. According to Lamy this nib is .46mm +- .06 so it looks like the correct size. Again, I wouldn't want any broader for my usage as an all purpose pen.

Using the Pelikan 4001 brilliant black, almost instant dry on any paper. Will probably try the Diamine Blue/Black ink next and looking forward to using other colors. Really interested in a deep dark brown, too. Color options along with variable lines are the cool things I like about these pens.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

New pen day! Vanishing Point:

The rest of my collection (some models have already appeared in this thread [emoji106])