We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by BostonCharlie »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:13 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 am Watching the stock market this morning I thought of Johnny Cash:

Passionate love for something you just can't quit?
I lucked out because I got spooked a few months ago and sold all my stocks -- which isn't saying much tbh -- but I did quit. Now if I could actually get around to selling some of my watches. :-)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Seeing the stock market regain its interday drop by the end of Friday makes me think of Roy Orbison:

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

We offered $401k on a crappy little house that was $249k last year and didn’t get it.

A wave of foreclosures is coming soon for recent buyers and I guess I’ll have to wait till people are eating cat food to take their houses from them. It’s just a crazy, crazy time.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Robotaz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm We offered $401k on a crappy little house that was $249k last year and didn’t get it.

A wave of foreclosures is coming soon for recent buyers and I guess I’ll have to wait till people are eating cat food to take their houses from them. It’s just a crazy, crazy time.
The risk of ending up underwater as many buyers did after the 2008 crash would really scare me if I were buying in this market. Instead I am paying outsized property tax on the county's overheated estimation of my home's value. :roll: A recent article in the WSJ says that, nationally, rents have risen more slowly than home prices, although they observed that the cost/benefit of renting vs buying varied by metro:

"While rents have risen rapidly all over the country, home-sales prices rose even more. Rent for a single-family home rose 13.1% in February, compared with the same month last year, according to housing data firm CoreLogic.

Home prices were up 20.9% in March, compared with a year ago. Interest rates for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages have also risen to an average of 5.3% as of the week of May 12, up from 2.96% a year ago, according to Freddie Mac."
Robotaz
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by Robotaz »

BostonCharlie wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm We offered $401k on a crappy little house that was $249k last year and didn’t get it.

The risk of ending up underwater as many buyers did after the 2008 crash would really scare me if I were buying in this market. Instead I am paying outsized property tax on the county's overheated estimation of my home's value. :roll: A recent article in the WSJ says that, nationally, rents have risen more slowly than home prices, although they observed that the cost/benefit of renting vs buying varied by metro:

"While rents have risen rapidly all over the country, home-sales prices rose even more. Rent for a single-family home rose 13.1% in February, compared with the same month last year, according to housing data firm CoreLogic.

Home prices were up 20.9% in March, compared with a year ago. Interest rates for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages have also risen to an average of 5.3% as of the week of May 12, up from 2.96% a year ago, according to Freddie Mac."
Sadly, interest rates push people out of competing with me. I can keep paying them, but with the housing getting so insane it’s a game of being crushed by those costs more than interest.

I wonder with the market cooling if the Fed will stop boosting rates. Some houses like the one I just lost out on are still selling at stupid rates, but others seem to be falling. Higher end finishes and good photos seem to get a lot of remote buyers with cash these days. Honestly, I did the same thing when I moved to CO so I’m not going to beat them up for handing it back to me now.

What’s a real shame here in TN is that the locals are done. They’ll never rise up and find a decent home now. My wife was crying a couple days ago mad at what this is going to permanently do to people with fewer options here. They really are screwed. The gap between the haves and have nots grew tremendously during the pandemic. Millions of Americans look at their home values and think they suddenly have more wealth. When they leave that home, the wealth gets wiped buying the next one. The only people who actually reap the trillions of borrowed dollars poured into peoples’ pockets are the people moving from very high cost markets to much lower ones. Everyone else has maybe $200k more in a house but you’ll be lucky if you don’t owe more than that to get in the next one so it’s not real money at the end of the day.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Well, I'm leaving a job I held for nearly 5 years. Including some really tough times in my life.

I don't care, or dislike, for the company but I will miss some of the people. However, another hospital is offering nearly triple my current salary. Hard to say no.

In all likelihood I probably wasted 3-5 years of my life prior to the near 5 years here but I'm an idiot who moved out on his own when he was 17 and continues to make poor life choices left and right. Chiefly in the sport teams I support 😅.

I'm sure we've all been hard up before, or multiple times, but have you ever had someone help you before? That can be surprise.

Idk, I hate reminiscing and my final few weeks are going to be a ride.

I will say even at the worst of it when I was eating mustard cucumber sandwiches and sleeping in my car, I couldn't help but laugh that compared to my high-school classmates I was still doing okay. East St. Paul sucks and making up stories about what youre doing outside of work sucks. Still I had a professional job and I was getting my sh^t together. Went back to school and got a B.S. on top of my A.A.S. Unlike the many drug addicts, convicts, etc. that I went to school w/. and unlike them I dropped out when I turned 16 and was expelled the prior year for fighting. Never finished a year of high school even combined. Low key, not sure how I would feel if I had buddies that were wildly successful or something. That must be a burden on some I'll never have to bear. If anything, I've been fortunate to have no expectations of me.

I mean there are people making six figures living with depression, viewed as failures by their families because of some arbitrary expectations that a sibling may have met. Then there's me. Hey at least Spirit doesn't do drugs or drink! That's a success story! Lol! I can't help but feel bad. When the bar is so low just having a pulse is good enough 🤣.

okay I'm rambling have a good night. 👍
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:Well, I'm leaving a job I held for nearly 5 years. Including some really tough times in my life.

I don't care, or dislike, for the company but I will miss some of the people. However, another hospital is offering nearly triple my current salary. Hard to say no.

In all likelihood I probably wasted 3-5 years of my life prior to the near 5 years here but I'm an idiot who moved out on his own when he was 17 and continues to make poor life choices left and right. Chiefly in the sport teams I support [emoji28].

I'm sure we've all been hard up before, or multiple times, but have you ever had someone help you before? That can be surprise.

Idk, I hate reminiscing and my final few weeks are going to be a ride.

I will say even at the worst of it when I was eating mustard cucumber sandwiches and sleeping in my car, I couldn't help but laugh that compared to my high-school classmates I was still doing okay. East St. Paul sucks and making up stories about what youre doing outside of work sucks. Still I had a professional job and I was getting my sh^t together. Went back to school and got a B.S. on top of my A.A.S. Unlike the many drug addicts, convicts, etc. that I went to school w/. and unlike them I dropped out when I turned 16 and was expelled the prior year for fighting. Never finished a year of high school even combined. Low key, not sure how I would feel if I had buddies that were wildly successful or something. That must be a burden on some I'll never have to bear. If anything, I've been fortunate to have no expectations of me.

I mean there are people making six figures living with depression, viewed as failures by their families because of some arbitrary expectations that a sibling may have met. Then there's me. Hey at least Spirit doesn't do drugs or drink! That's a success story! Lol! I can't help but feel bad. When the bar is so low just having a pulse is good enough [emoji1787].

okay I'm rambling have a good night. [emoji106]
Congrats on the new job! It feels like you have a healthy perspective on life (and the many struggles that come with it) despite everything. Keep fighting the good fight [emoji110]️
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

One good thing with your new job, other than the obvious increase in salary, is you can still stay in touch with the people you liked at your old job.

Sounds like you've taken the path of most resistance, but you are making strides in the right direction. Keep it up @Spirit of the Watch !
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Went for an MRI today. So I didn't wear a watch. Felt naked.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:16 pm Went for an MRI today. So I didn't wear a watch. Felt naked.
So ... where do you wear your watch? ;-)

My Citizen Tough says it is anti-magnetic, but I doubt it is *that* anti-magnetic! Googling around on the subject I found this WUS thread. It went off topic into EMPs, with one guy saying mechanical watches are safe from EMPs. Could be relevant, what with world events and all :-/
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Has anyone seen this article?

One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds
About 78% of Americans said they were doing okay financially or living comfortably -- the highest share since the Fed began running the annual survey in 2013.

Still, one in nine respondents said that they wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency expense by any means, including credit cards, borrowing from family or friends or by selling an asset. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ire-salary

Okay, I understand on the low income end how difficult it must be to cover an unexpected $400 expense.

However, if you make $250k and have trouble meeting your basic needs..... how? Is it buying the most expensive home you could? Car? Lifestyle?
-William Osler
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Just found a foot long crease in my door from a miserable person reminding me how bad people suck. Rednecks.

I don’t know if paintless can fix this or not, but sure does suck on a 3 month old car.

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

^Ouch man, that's just cruel.
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 pm Just found a foot long crease in my door from a miserable person reminding me how bad people suck. Rednecks.

I don’t know if paintless can fix this or not, but sure does suck on a 3 month old car.

-----

Sorry. What a bummer!
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:^Ouch man, that's just cruel.
I don’t even have the energy left to be mad. We’ve given up finding a home and have started looking for jobs in other states again. It just stinks to have dumb stuff like this intentionally added to the mix because someone is that mean spirited.