We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cel4145
MoT Member

Random Thoughts

Post by cel4145 »

Seems we could use a random thoughts thread. The thoughts don't have to be watch related, although my first one is.
cel4145
MoT Member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by cel4145 »

I frequently look at my box of watch straps. I think where did all those straps come from? Why do I have so many straps? Do I need to get rid of some? Feels like I have too many.

Then I order a new watch that I know needs a different strap. Get the watch, and 5 minutes later after rooting around in the watch strap box, the new watch is perfect with its new strap! That is why I have all of those watch straps. :D
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

Speaking of watch straps, I almost always change the strap on every watch I buy. Right now, I'm trying to get used to the bracelet on my Orient Mako II, even though I know I'll replace it, because I like the way it looks on the bracelet. I do not like the way it feels, however. I'm just not a bracelet guy. I just know I'm going to end up putting it on one of Erika's MN straps.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Some random thoughts: The author Herman Wouk just died. He was 103 years old. With my family history, I have about a 0% chance of ever getting that old.....but that's fine. When he was quite a bit younger, he spent some time in the Caribbean working at a hotel. He later wrote "Don't Stop The Carnival", a novel very loosely based on that experience. A number of years back I spent a year living and working in the islands (life was good but those are thoughts for another time). While I was down there my dad sent me a copy of the book. I don't read much anymore but at that time I still did occasionally. Anyway it is the only Herman Wouk book I ever read but I really enjoyed it. It was humorous and despite the roughly 50 year span between his experience and mine, I could relate to much of it. So thanks for that Herman and RIP.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Also just died:

I. M. Pei, the great architect.

102 years old.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

An individual also just died who is arguably more well known than Wouk and Pei put together. Tardar Sauce, better known as Grumpy Cat, passed away at the age of 7 years due to UTI complications: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... l-is-dead/

[img]https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2019 ... 2-2000.jpg[/img]
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

cel4145 wrote:An individual also just died who is arguably more well known than Wouk and Pei put together. Tardar Sauce, better known as Grumpy Cat, passed away at the age of 7 years due to UTI complications: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... l-is-dead/

I want to take back my like from this post, but can't. Nothing against you Cel, just sad about grumpy cat.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

In Grumpy cat spirit....
grumpycatheaven.jpg
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 am
cel4145 wrote:An individual also just died who is arguably more well known than Wouk and Pei put together. Tardar Sauce, better known as Grumpy Cat, passed away at the age of 7 years due to UTI complications: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... l-is-dead/

I want to take back my like from this post, but can't. Nothing against you Cel, just sad about grumpy cat.

I know what you mean. And seven years is so young for a cat. It's tragic. :(
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I appreciate that the MoT WRUW thread generally consists of affordables, often within the < $500 range. Nothing against more expensive watches, but it's nice to frequently see watches that fit my watch buying budget range. And it's nice not to be tempted by the more expensive watches.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I wish more brewers would explore low ABV beers. The head of Evil Twin did one called Bikini Beer at 2.75%. It was a good beer, too. To me, it’s a sign of maturation of skill when the brewer tries to make a great beer that doesn’t intoxicate. Most cannot pull it off, so they turn their noses up when I ask them about it. Anyone can make a good boozy beer with enough trial and error.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Croutons are way overrated.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:09 pm Croutons are way overrated.
Though a Caesar garlic dressing is good.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Fireworks are legal here, and my neighborhood currently sounds like a war of small arms fire. :D
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:Croutons are way overrated.
That is generally the only part of a salad I will eat. Side note: salads are overrated.