We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Random Thoughts

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TheJohnP »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 pm Mid Range phones are getting rid of the headphone jack. Rumor is the Google Pixel 6a has no headphone jack either.

I've been anti-Apple for a long time but I'm considering Apple or Pixel for my next phone. Samsung is just a copy cat now.
Google Pixel 5 did away with the headphone jack.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:52 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 pm Mid Range phones are getting rid of the headphone jack. Rumor is the Google Pixel 6a has no headphone jack either.

I've been anti-Apple for a long time but I'm considering Apple or Pixel for my next phone. Samsung is just a copy cat now.
Google Pixel 5 did away with the headphone jack.
Yeah, but I'm just talking about mid Range phones. The 5a still has one.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

My Pixel 3 doesn't have a headphone jack, but it does accept USB C headphones. Are you strictly looking for a 3.5mm AUX headphone jack, or are new phones eliminating the possibility of anything except Bluetooth?
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

So the utility project inspection I’m doing pays half what I normally make as an engineer. The goal is to have a job while I help my engineering company develop natural gas services. So we go to the first potential customer and start talking about their challenges. They seem excited and ask when we can get started. I’m thinking awesome. Then my boss says, “yeah you can get Rob at inspector rates so you should jump on this.”

Anyone see the problem? lol

Needless to say it’s a good time to update my resume again.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I have a headphone adaptor for the new iPhone SE and it works well. So far I have found it to be a good phone btw.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Bad breakup? I was actually able to grab one of the Seikos. Hopefully it just needs a battery.

Update to add that the seller messaged me to say she tried replacing the battery and it still didn't work. She gave me the option to cancel, which I accepted. Here is the (relisted) Seiko in question for somebody with more patience and skill than I have to get it working -- she added details about the battery to this new listing.

watches.jpg
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Always time for Saul Steinberg.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 4.32.46 PM.png
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

In my town a national guard armored personnel carrier parked ready for a Monday morning service with the local state tech school's diesel students. lol

I’m all for it 100% if the system works. But it cracks me up.

rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

I noticed that we now have a lot of "HONEST watch reviews." Does that imply that all the other watch reviews are DIShonest? Since I cannot accept that I ignore the putative HONEST watch reviews
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

rich_in_the_lou wrote:I noticed that we now have a lot of "HONEST watch reviews." Does that imply that all the other watch reviews are DIShonest? Since I cannot accept that I ignore the putative HONEST watch reviews
It’s a good question how does one qualify a dishonest vs honest review. They say honest because most reviews are bought or influenced. That to me is borderline dishonest by nature.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

rich_in_the_lou wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:59 pm I noticed that we now have a lot of "HONEST watch reviews." Does that imply that all the other watch reviews are DIShonest? Since I cannot accept that I ignore the putative HONEST watch reviews

The watch review metaverse on Instagram, YouTube and other places is plagued by "pay-for-play" wherein a watch company will offer complimentary products with a wink--wink-nudge-nudge that the review be glowing and overtly positive.

It's been expected of us, and we've turned them down, and we've also had companies ghost or not want to work with us after we inform them our review will be impartial regardless of what they provide.

I believe Honest Watch Reviews has been nothing but forthright in stating similarly, and in fact if you watch his videos he states as much in them.

Does being called Honest Watch Reviews mean all others are automatically dishonest? Of course not, but I am comfortable in saying many, many of them are.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

rich_in_the_lou wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:59 pm I noticed that we now have a lot of "HONEST watch reviews." Does that imply that all the other watch reviews are DIShonest? Since I cannot accept that I ignore the putative HONEST watch reviews
As an example, one of our friends in time received an email requesting one of their watches for a review of popular dive watches. It provided pricing tiers that permitted him to purchase his ranking…$6000 for a “top tier“ (1,2 or 3) $3000 for mid-tier (4,5,6), and $1500 for a lower tier position (7-10), as well as $800 for honorable mention (2 spots). Of course, he refused. I have received the same on Instagram, as many mistake me for a watch merchant. This type of thing is VERY common. And when you see listed in a Kickstarter that they have “appeared in” and a list of popular media stops for watch shoppers….those are also PAID placement. This, unfortunately is how the online marketing world works, for watches and for other things also. In a space where reviews are the most effective form of advertising, the reviews themselves are considered to be part of paid promotion and a form of advertising “puffery” (and not considered “false” advertising).

But our reviews here are unpaid and with results that are as much as possible uninfluenced by money, gifts, etc.. That is what is meant by “honest” reviews.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:
As an example, one of our friends in time received an email requesting one of their watches for a review of popular dive watches. It provided pricing tiers that permitted him to purchase his ranking…$6000 for a “top tier“ (1,2 or 3) $3000 for mid-tier (4,5,6), and $1500 for a lower tier position (7-10), as well as $800 for honorable mention (2 spots). Of course, he refused. I have received the same on Instagram, as many mistake me for a watch merchant. This type of thing is VERY common. And when you see listed in a Kickstarter that they have “appeared in” and a list of popular media stops for watch shoppers….those are also PAID placement. This, unfortunately is how the online marketing world works, for watches and for other things also. In a space where reviews are the most effective form of advertising, the reviews themselves are considered to be part of paid promotion and a form of advertising “puffery” (and not considered “false” advertising).

But our reviews here are unpaid and with results that are as much as possible uninfluenced by money, gifts, etc.. That is what is meant by “honest” reviews.
There are members, one in particular, over at WUS shamelessly shilling all kinds of junk. Watch for “the guy” who has a Rolex Explorer, has had countless Blancpains, etc. and he’s constantly shilling cheap watches and straps. Every single post he has to tell that his watch is on Drunk Art Straps, and therefore I refuse to even look at their website.

People clue in on it and then start looking around at who the next shiller is. I’ve had 10-12 people PM me over the years saying I’m shilling watches because I admittedly spent a lot of money on them and they were usually relatively obscure, because I like weird watches.

It’s so hard to see what’s going on. If you’ve watched it all for many years, you just know when something doesn’t look right. There’s a lot of it in the watch world. And in everything now. Leave a bad review for a terrible product or service and you’re targeted or begged.
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

It has been my experience that those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are those who should be watched most closely. But you are free to disagree. Nonetheless, I have found that to be a good quick rule to follow, although like all truths it is not universal
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson