We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Post by Robotaz »

Is there a more shameless outlet for overpriced junk?

I have never seen a deal there better than can be found in other places. It’s an overpriced dumping ground for the usual suspects when they get tired of trying and need to dump their junk.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Touch of Modern = scourge of the watch world

Post by TheJohnP »

Just like anywhere else, there are good deals to be found now and again. Is it any worse than Massdrop or Ebay?

I picked up a 38mm Mido Multifort for a good price + a targeted discount they were offering.
Only issue I have with them is their turnaround time. It can take almost a month from ordering until it delivers.

I can't speak to their previously owned and/or vintage pieces.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

My only problem is that they never post enough specs (movement-automatic). The real way to get deals from there is when they have their 15-20% off promotions with no cap.
Also, there is a lot of cool/weird stuff to browse through other than watches that I would never have known about otherwise.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

patrolmi

Post by patrolmi »

The no cap deals seem like they never come anymore-- I can say all of the watches I did take a chance on ended up being in good shape, and their customer service is really good... barring waiting for the stuff.. but that's part of their deal in that they don't carry any inventory inhouse. I agree their descriptions and model numbers etc.... are screwed up a lot, which is not so good for multi thousand dollar watches.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

But you have to admit that ToM is a dumping ground for a lot of bad deals with generally bad specs and bad warranties.

We can find a deal there at times, but it just seems to be predatory to me. It relies a lot on the ignorance of people to sell watches.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Can't argue that point. Unsold Kickstarter inventory or discontinued models have to go somewhere, seems a good place as any to unload it.
But like a lot of other grey market sites, you are paying for the discount and not the warranty.

If ToM made you pay a subscription or entry point to see their deals, or their customer service was horrendous, I would say avoid them like a plague. But I'll keep checking them on a regular basis, 'cause you never know if something good is coming up for sale or not.
Find it is easy enough to skip the crap offerings.
Click Icon To Contact Me

WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

Robotaz wrote:
We can find a deal there at times, but it just seems to be predatory to me. It relies a lot on the ignorance of people to sell watches.
This. I have bought other products from them and been satisfied but if you aren’t even posting the specs (sometimes can’t even identify the appropriate reference), I’d say your target market is people who don’t know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

you can find deals if you're patient and you take your time looking. I got my mondaine stop2go (non gottardo) there. it was 15% off AND I got credit back on it. I then used the credit towards a nice pair of Italian leather shoes. price for the mondaine was $250 before the cash back and discount, which was comparable to a massdrop deal I saw a few months later.

the customer service is super nice. a member on WUS posted about a targeted cashback offer and I emailed them and explained that my friend got the targeted offer and I didn't, and that amount potentially saved would mean the difference between a purchase or not. they applied it and let me get a discount too. another time I made a purchase the night before a promotion. I emailed the support email and explained that if I had just made the purchase a few hours later I'd have gotten the discount and now I'm regretting it. they applied the discount without question.

I don't see them as predatory to people who don't know better or as scammers. they sell watches but they're just not a watch retailer in general. I just think they personally don't know any better because they're not watch people. it's a fashion and tech site.
Scruffy believes in this forum
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I think the thing that really twists my cheese about ToM is the lack of detail in the watch specifications. Hunting down the model numbers so I can list them in the stats is a huge pain in the butt.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I have to rescind my generalized pounding on ToM. The Mido sale with manufacturer's warranty was indeed a good sale.

I'm just tired of all of the used stuff on there. It's really weird.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm I think the thing that really twists my cheese about ToM is the lack of detail in the watch specifications. Hunting down the model numbers so I can list them in the stats is a huge pain in the butt.
I totally misspoke. It's Massdrop that never displays model numbers or specifications.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am
ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm I think the thing that really twists my cheese about ToM is the lack of detail in the watch specifications. Hunting down the model numbers so I can list them in the stats is a huge pain in the butt.
I totally misspoke. It's Massdrop that never displays model numbers or specifications.
Right, but ToM is pretty bad about it, too. They have to rely on what they're given though, so that's not really where my beef is with them. Same with Massdrop.
mleok
MoT Member

Post by mleok »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 amIt relies a lot on the ignorance of people to sell watches.
Did someone say Invicta?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'm new to Touch of Modern. What bothers me is that it's not easy to sort and filter watches by movement, brand, size, etc. It's not a very easy site to browse. I currently have a targeted 15% off offer for a couple more days. Is this common? How often does it happen and is it ever higher than 15%? Thanks.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

It is a little easier to sort on desktop vs mobile. Then you'll get options under the watch category like mechanical/auto from there you can filter for price range.
But I haven't found a sort by brand, unless you specifically search a brand name.

I once had a 20% discount and a 15% one. Joined maybe less than a year, so those targeted discounts haven't been too often in my experience.
Click Icon To Contact Me