We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Warranty Codek watches

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
joelf15
MoT Member

Warranty Codek watches

Post by joelf15 »

Hi guys I got a codek spiral from Codek. The watch started gaining 15 mins a day suddenly. I approached the company for warranty and they turned me down saying I got it magnetized because of which it's doing this . The watch was in the box and nothing to cause it to get magnetized. Is this normal? The services from Chris at Codek is really surprising!

Thank you

Response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by joelf15 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Warranty Codek watches

Post by MoT »

That is extremely disappointing.

At no time was it indicated that once the watch was purchased we were on our own.

Chris had said he was getting out of the watchmaking game. Probably a good idea, I wouldn't buy another if this is his attitude.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

I didn't buy a Codek, even when they were on a fire sale, because I felt I would have been buying the deal and not the watch. Although I'm not an owner, I'll add my thoughts.

Given the drastic and, apparently, below cost pricing towards the end, I can kind of understand his position on the warranty, but only if that had been disclosed to buyers or was clearly posted on his website. If the company has gone out of business since then, a warranty wouldn't much matter at this point.

In this case, it does sound like the watch has become magnetized. At least, in my limited experience, that seems to be the most likely reason for the watch behavior. Even if the watch were covered under warranty, I think it would be reasonable for the manufacturer to expect the buyer to pay for return shipping and, if it turns out to be magnetized, to pay for shipping back to the buyer as well as a service fee to demagnetize it, since that's not a manufacturing defect.

In this case, the OP should probably buy a demagnetizer and fix it himself. From what I understand, they're cheaper than probably the return shipping cost to Codek.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I sort of agree with the warranty position. I guess my issue is with the taclless "too bad so sad" response because the watch was bought on a discount.

I think I'm going to buy a case, dial and hands and repurpose the movement. I've been thinking of it for a while anyway.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

ManOnTime wrote:I sort of agree with the warranty position. I guess my issue is with the taclless "too bad so sad" response because the watch was bought on a discount.

I think I'm going to buy a case, dial and hands and repurpose the movement. I've been thinking of it for a while anyway.
Speaking of which, where would be your source of the case? I was thinking the same.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

quincas wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 am
ManOnTime wrote:I sort of agree with the warranty position. I guess my issue is with the taclless "too bad so sad" response because the watch was bought on a discount.

Speaking of which, where would be your source of the case? I was thinking the same.
eBay most likely. I'd get a case, dial and hands from one of the multitude of sellers offering them for ETA 2824s,.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

joelf15
MoT Member

Warranty Codek watches

Post by joelf15 »

Thanks for all your opinions. I have never had this issue on any of my watches, I have been a collector for 3 years now. Anyways the response was very shocking. I guess you get what you pay for from these " one hit wonders". I was absolutely ok with sending the watch to him and paying for it but his response is really like he doesn't give a F about his customers. Hopefully he doesn't have to sell watches in the future.

Anyways I am not very handy with fixing the watch. Is a demagnitizer easy enough to use? I will try doing it myself

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

joelf15 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:12 am Thanks for all your opinions. I have never had this issue on any of my watches, I have been a collector for 3 years now. Anyways the response was very shocking. I guess you get what you pay for from these " one hit wonders". I was absolutely ok with sending the watch to him and paying for it but his response is really like he doesn't give a F about his customers. Hopefully he doesn't have to sell watches in the future.

Anyways I am not very handy with fixing the watch. Is a demagnitizer easy enough to use? I will try doing it myself
Simple.

https://www.chronoexpert.com/blog/use-w ... agnetizer/

If you don't want to spend the money on something you may only use once or twice, the next time you're at a big box retailer (Targer, Walmart, etc) have the cashier run the watch over the demagnetizer they use to disable the magnetic security strips in DVDs.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

joelf15
MoT Member

Post by joelf15 »

ManOnTime wrote:
joelf15 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:12 am Thanks for all your opinions. I have never had this issue on any of my watches, I have been a collector for 3 years now. Anyways the response was very shocking. I guess you get what you pay for from these " one hit wonders". I was absolutely ok with sending the watch to him and paying for it but his response is really like he doesn't give a F about his customers. Hopefully he doesn't have to sell watches in the future.

Simple.

https://www.chronoexpert.com/blog/use-w ... agnetizer/

If you don't want to spend the money on something you may only use once or twice, the next time you're at a big box retailer (Targer, Walmart, etc) have the cashier run the watch over the demagnetizer they use to disable the magnetic security strips in DVDs.

That simple..I'll try it.. Thank you

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

When I had a watch get magnetized a few years ago, I just bought one of those cheap demagnetizers like the one HERE from Amazon. I checked out an article like MoT linked above and I watched a Youtube video and it worked fine for me. I've used it once or twice since then as well. I've seen a few people caution against using them or saying you really need to take it to a watchmaker but I suspect they are being overly cautious. I haven't heard any horror stories of people ruining their watch with one of these. Also, I have a feeling that you would have got a similar response from the Codek guy no matter what your problem was. Sounds like he just wanted to get out of the game entirely and move on. Good luck with it!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Warranty Codek watches

Post by Sporkboy »

Well, if anyone has just a spare Codek case (dial, crown, etc) that they want to get rid of, I could probably figure out something to do with it.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

+1 for cheap Amazon demagnetizer. I bought one and just hang onto it in case I have any future issues.

The response from Codek was extremely disappointing. I got a similar response from Deep Blue with a watch that started losing time badly. Pay to send it back and pay us to fix it... under warranty! To me this is a risk that you run with micro brands. Some are good with customer service, some are not. Some won't be around through the warranty period, some will but will disappear in the future (making it difficult or impossible to get case, dial, hand parts). I don't think that micros are a good, long term purchase and since I'm more of a "mate for life" buyer I have moved away from them for the most part.
joelf15
MoT Member

Warranty Codek watches

Post by joelf15 »

Thanks..I'm still looking into gettin one...But guess what?

Codek responded positively to me on Instagram! Offcourse I have about a 1000 followers! They dont want any negative publicity!

This is some real foul play

He's a bit "LENIANT" to me [emoji23][emoji23]

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Why is he bringing asses into a discussion about a watch warranty?
butts1711465-prints.jpg
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

this guy has actual poor attitude, no prior disclosure and no commitment to his words, how is he ever gonna do any business ever again