We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Elastic two piece nato straps.

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Elastic two piece nato straps.

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

Hi all,

Has anyone seen any elastic two piece nato straps out there?

If so, please send links!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Re: Elastic two piece nato straps.

Post by MoT »

NapoleonDynamite wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:09 pm Hi all,

Has anyone seen any elastic two piece nato straps out there?

If so, please send links!

Cheers!

Ooh. I'm definitely interested in this.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

The material on these looks like elastic. It's two layers, which would reduce the stretch, but is also necessary because elastic is kind of floppy. I'm willing to take a $6 gamble to find out. Will report back whenever it arrives.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002658199018.html
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.52.09 AM.png
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Sussa wrote:The material on these looks like elastic. It's two layers, which would reduce the stretch, but is also necessary because elastic is kind of floppy. I'm willing to take a $6 gamble to find out. Will report back whenever it arrives.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002658199018.html
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.52.09 AM.png
Great find! It does definitely look elastic. Watching the short video it appears to be stretchy?

I've dropped the seller a line too. I might order some any way. It'll take an eternity to get here and will definitely report back.

NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

I messaged two sellers on AliExpress (one was the link above and a similar looking item) and both said they were not elastic or stretchy.

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Finally received the strap I linked above and can confirm they're made of elastic. It appears to be two pieces of elastic glued together, so you need to give them an initial stretch to break up the glue but then you get as much stretch as one would expect from doubled-up elastic (that is, not as much as a single pass elastic strap but still some).

Fits my 6.25" wrist on the next to last hole. My biggest complaint is how much the buckle sticks out, but that may be the case for this buckle style. Seems like it's going to catch on things. Might be better for larger-wristed folks.

Initial impression is comfort and decent quality. I'd worry about the holes fraying overtime because elastic doesn't seal as well as nylon. Overall, worth $7 (I splurged for tracked shipping) and I will consider buying more.
PXL_20211116_175915646.jpg
PXL_20211116_180804173.jpg
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:15 pm Finally received the strap I linked above and can confirm they're made of elastic. It appears to be two pieces of elastic glued together, so you need to give them an initial stretch to break up the glue but then you get as much stretch as one would expect from doubled-up elastic (that is, not as much as a single pass elastic strap but still some).

Fits my 6.25" wrist on the next to last hole. My biggest complaint is how much the buckle sticks out, but that may be the case for this buckle style. Seems like it's going to catch on things. Might be better for larger-wristed folks.

Initial impression is comfort and decent quality. I'd worry about the holes fraying overtime because elastic doesn't seal as well as nylon. Overall, worth $7 (I splurged for tracked shipping) and I will consider buying more.

Thanks for following up. I love elastic straps, but I don't love nato-style straps, so I'm liking that these are two-piece. I went ahead and ordered four, 2 in 20mm and 2 in 22mm, all black.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sussa wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:15 pm Finally received the strap I linked above and can confirm they're made of elastic. It appears to be two pieces of elastic glued together, so you need to give them an initial stretch to break up the glue but then you get as much stretch as one would expect from doubled-up elastic (that is, not as much as a single pass elastic strap but still some).

Very interesting! Thanks for the report. There is probably a place in the strap collection for something just like this.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Sussa wrote:Finally received the strap I linked above and can confirm they're made of elastic. It appears to be two pieces of elastic glued together, so you need to give them an initial stretch to break up the glue but then you get as much stretch as one would expect from doubled-up elastic (that is, not as much as a single pass elastic strap but still some).

Nice working on this! Great Intel!

NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote:

Thanks for following up. I love elastic straps, but I don't love nato-style straps, so I'm liking that these are two-piece. I went ahead and ordered four, 2 in 20mm and 2 in 22mm, all black.
Hey Manontime, did you get these, if so what did you think of them?

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

NapoleonDynamite wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:56 am
ManOnTime wrote:

I did, and I echo @Sussa's thoughts.

Good strap for the price paid, and best of all, long enough for my wrist.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote:
NapoleonDynamite wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:56 am
ManOnTime wrote: Thanks for following up. I love elastic straps, but I don't love nato-style straps, so I'm liking that these are two-piece. I went ahead and ordered four, 2 in 20mm and 2 in 22mm, all black.

I did, and I echo [mention]Sussa[/mention]'s thoughts.

Good strap for the price paid, and best of all, long enough for my wrist.
Thanks mate. Does the elastic allow your to bend the tail over itself (back into the keeper) to stop the tail from hanging out?

I have a smaller wrist and prefer to "hide" the tail.

Cheers.

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

NapoleonDynamite wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:56 am Thanks mate. Does the elastic allow your to bend the tail over itself (back into the keeper) to stop the tail from hanging out?

I have a smaller wrist and prefer to "hide" the tail.

Cheers.

It's a floating keeper, so the tail won't hang out unless you want it to or you have very small wrists and long lugs. It is physically possible to loop the extra strap back and tuck it into the keeper, but that's a lot of bulk. The strap is too thick to double back without creating a significant loop (vs. a folded nato)