We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Adventures in accessorizing

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Re: Adventures in accessorizing

Post by tommy_boy »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm As Andrea is custom making the strap, can you request a thinner keeper?
Yep, as long as she is making a strap for you, based on your request. "Bespoke".

She keeps some stock for eBay orders, for example, that meet her standard specs.

I have nine or ten of her straps (who counts? :lol: .) Each was made to my specs and is worth every penny.

Two more are inbound to US customs in Miami. Woot!
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

tommy_boy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:49 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm As Andrea is custom making the strap, can you request a thinner keeper?
Yep, as long as she is making a strap for you, based on your request. "Bespoke".

She keeps some stock for eBay orders, for example, that meet her standard specs.

I have nine or ten of her straps (who counts? :lol: .) Each was made to my specs and is worth every penny.

Two more are inbound to US customs in Miami. Woot!
Good suggestion! Definitely should reach out to her. Technically, I'm not sure if this is considered custom or bespoke since I ordered directly from her online shop, but worth a try.
Living a comeback montage.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Split-Time wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:09 pm Hey @peskydonut , my life is about to get a lot easier! I don’t know why I waited so long long to purchase a better spring bar tool. My first move was to put a NASA type Velcro strap on the Bulova. It isn’t pic worthy but I may wear it tomorrow...or try it on leather.

Really enjoying seeing what you do!

That thing looks like it means business! I've just been using the cheapo ones that I accumulated from various strap purchases. How do you like it?

I'm curious to see where you land with that Bulova. My wrist is about 6.75", this is what it looks like in the flesh...

(sorry for crap lighting)

Last edited by peskydonut on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I simply send Andrea an email with my requirements: material, color, finish, length, thickness, taper, hole size/shape, rivets, etc.

Sometimes I will send her a picture of an example from her posted work if I like the leather, then spec it out. I prefer a 180mm strap and I don't need a buckle.

If there is a downside to working with her on a bespoke basis, it's the turnaround time: four weeks is what I expect. Maybe five. That's fine with me.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

tommy_boy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 pm I simply send her an email with my requirements: material, color, finish, length, taper, hole size/shape, etc.

Sometimes I will send her a picture of an example from her posted work if I like the leather, then spec it out. I prefer a 180mm strap and I don't need a buckle.

If there is a downside to working with her on a bespoke basis, it's the turnaround time: four weeks is what I expect. Maybe five. That's fine with me.
Sweet. I'll reach out to her once my wallet recuperates from the holiday debauchery.

Hey [mention]VCheng[/mention], if you're interested in a bulkier version of that grey strap, it might be worth contacting Andrea as others have suggested.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've read great things about Martu, but didn't have an ideal interaction.

I tried to order from her for something custom and after some email exchanges, she was going to contact me back after checking in with her leather supplier. She never replied back. Did try to follow back up, but silence ever since.

Haven't ordered ready made, but likely won't be placing a custom order. Shame, as it seems she does great work.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

peskydonut wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 pm
tommy_boy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 pm I simply send her an email with my requirements: material, color, finish, length, taper, hole size/shape, etc.

Sweet. I'll reach out to her once my wallet recuperates from the holiday debauchery.

Hey @VCheng, if you're interested in a bulkier version of that grey strap, it might be worth contacting Andrea as others have suggested.
Yea. I will do so when I order the strap. Thanks.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

peskydonut wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm
Split-Time wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:09 pm Hey @peskydonut , my life is about to get a lot easier! I don’t know why I waited so long long to purchase a better spring bar tool. My first move was to put a NASA type Velcro strap on the Bulova. It isn’t pic worthy but I may wear it tomorrow...or try it on leather.

That thing looks like it means business! I've just been using the cheapo that I've accumulated from various strap purchases. How do you like it?

I'm curious to see where you land with that Bulova. My wrist is about 6.75", this is what it looks like in the flesh...

I have a leather band with quick release spring bars that I wanted to try after seeing yours...but it seemed to have a bit too much leather fit properly, so I didn't fight it. That's still the look, in my opinion!

Today I am wearing the Bulova on the NASA-type strap for the LWDS "tool watch Tuesday." Even these shorter lengths (from CNS) are almost too long for my skinny wrist, but velcro does have the advantage of being almost infinitely adjustable. That's something else I learned from this experiment.

The tool has been in my possession less than a day and I'm already kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I was in the same boat as you, but was having a fit getting a new Christmas present bracelet on. The eggnog may not have been helping :lol: . "If I just had another hand" kept popping in my head. This tool makes plucking the spring bar out (or loose) very easy...and it feels less like performing dental work on the watch ;) .

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Split-Time wrote:

That thing looks like it means business! I've just been using the cheapo that I've accumulated from various strap purchases. How do you like it?

I have a leather band with quick release spring bars that I wanted to try after seeing yours...but it seemed to have a bit too much leather fit properly, so I didn't fight it. That's still the look, in my opinion!

Today I am wearing the Bulova on the NASA-type strap for the LWDS "tool watch Tuesday." Even these shorter lengths (from CNS) are almost too long for my skinny wrist, but velcro does have the advantage of being almost infinitely adjustable. That's something else I learned from this experiment.

The tool has been in my possession less than a day and I'm already kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I was in the same boat as you, but was having a fit getting a new Christmas present bracelet on. The eggnog may not have been helping [emoji38] . "If I just had another hand" kept popping in my head. This tool makes plucking the spring bar out (or loose) very easy...and it feels less like performing dental work on the watch ;) .

Looks great! Doesn't seem like it adds any height, which is usually my prime concern with using a NATO on an already large watch.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

peskydonut wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:40 am
Split-Time wrote:

The tool has been in my possession less than a day and I'm already kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I was in the same boat as you, but was having a fit getting a new Christmas present bracelet on. The eggnog may not have been helping [emoji38] . "If I just had another hand" kept popping in my head. This tool makes plucking the spring bar out (or loose) very easy...and it feels less like performing dental work on the watch ;) .

Looks great! Doesn't seem like it adds any height, which is usually my prime concern with using a NATO on an already large watch.
Good point. It adds very little at all. Even less than I thought when I photographed it.

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Split-Time wrote:
peskydonut wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:40 am
Split-Time wrote:

Good point. It adds very little at all. Even less than I thought when I photographed it.

Oh wow, that is thin! I may have to get one myself.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

The Haveston straps came in. For now just photos, I'll add some thoughts later...

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Also, an update on the purple strap. I email Andrea asking if I could purchase a smaller keeper. I got a reply after about 4 days...
Dear Alex

Happy 2020!!! sorry for the delay and not a problem at all I will make you a thinner keeper and ship it to you asap no need for extra payments ;)

Best wishes

Andrea
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Split-Time wrote:

The tool has been in my possession less than a day and I'm already kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I was in the same boat as you, but was having a fit getting a new Christmas present bracelet on. The eggnog may not have been helping :lol: . "If I just had another hand" kept popping in my head. This tool makes plucking the spring bar out (or loose) very easy...and it feels less like performing dental work on the watch ;) .

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Where did you get that plier tool? Mind sharing? And price?

I bought one at $10 from taobao and it really, really sucks! Big time! I am just not ready for Burgeon ones. [emoji3064]
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

quincas wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 am
Split-Time wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Where did you get that plier tool? Mind sharing? And price?

I bought one at $10 from taobao and it really, really sucks! Big time! I am just not ready for Burgeon ones. [emoji3064]
I don't know if this was a good price or where this tool fits in the hierarchy of quality...and I'm pretty sure that me ordering it from Amazon was taking the easy way out. Having said that, it was $47 and I am happy. One of the first things I noticed is how sharp the ends are, and I wondered if there is a reason they need to be so sharp and have I been missing something with my cheap-o tools.

Maybe we should page [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] and get his opinion on springbar tools.

The Amazon link didn't work, but you can search this:
W&S Spring Bar Plier Tool - to Remove and Replace Watch Spring Bar Pins, Watch Straps and Watch Bands