We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Amateur Strap Making Progress

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Amateur Strap Making Progress

Post by Sporkboy »

tennesseean_87 wrote:
TheJohnP wrote:Glad to see you revive this thread.

That last one would look good on my Orion Sylph
Thanks. Do you mean this one?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I really dig the drop step 2-tone taper. Not sure what to pair with it, but I definitely like the style.
tennesseean_87
MoT Member

Post by tennesseean_87 »

Sporkboy wrote:
tennesseean_87 wrote:
TheJohnP wrote:Glad to see you revive this thread.

That last one would look good on my Orion Sylph

I really dig the drop step 2-tone taper. Not sure what to pair with it, but I definitely like the style.
Thanks. This was an attempt to turn the bug of the proprietary lug design into a feature. It was certainly my most complex design to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

tennesseean_87 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:22 am
Sporkboy wrote:
tennesseean_87 wrote:

Thanks. This was an attempt to turn the bug of the proprietary lug design into a feature. It was certainly my most complex design to date.

Well, I think you did a great job. I didn’t even motive that you were working around a lug limitation. To me it reminds me of Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly.
61ABEAA5-2485-453E-9155-E66E91C871F9.jpeg
tennesseean_87
MoT Member

Post by tennesseean_87 »

ImageImageImageImage

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Have I mentioned how baller it is to have a watch strap with only 1-3 holes on it. It is like broadcasting that you can have a bespoke strap made for your watch. Nobody is going to catch that at all unless they see the holes, but I think it is pretty awesome.

deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:39 pm Have I mentioned how baller it is to have a watch strap with only 1-3 holes on it. It is like broadcasting that you can have a bespoke strap made for your watch. Nobody is going to catch that at all unless they see the holes, but I think it is pretty awesome.
I've enjoyed what you and tennesseean_87 both do with modding here.
tennesseean_87
MoT Member

Post by tennesseean_87 »

Sporkboy wrote:Have I mentioned how baller it is to have a watch strap with only 1-3 holes on it. It is like broadcasting that you can have a bespoke strap made for your watch. Nobody is going to catch that at all unless they see the holes, but I think it is pretty awesome.

I like how you don’t have a tail flapping, because the second keeper either slides up to the first or slides off the end.

tennesseean_87
MoT Member

Post by tennesseean_87 »

ImageImage

Seems my parallel thread on the forum which shall not be named got shut down. I have been operating a “store” for too long. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tennesseean_87 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:38 pmSeems my parallel thread on the forum which shall not be named got shut down. I have been operating a “store” for too long. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Pardon my French, but you've got to be f'n kidding me! :lol:

I just read through that thread, there wasn't a mention of sales anywhere!

What a joke.

Please continue to share your progress here. I think I can speak for the crowd when I say we're enjoying the thread.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

tennesseean_87 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:38 pm
Seems my parallel thread on the forum which shall not be named got shut down. I have been operating a “store” for too long. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Wtf?! Are you kidding me!? Also, I think this one of the coolest hobbies/skills ever.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

tennesseean_87 wrote:ImageImage

Well, we do know that they screen and censor PMs, so they probably consider PM commerce as rerunning a store and the thread as advertising for that store. Still BS though. You definitely add a cool crafting vibe to this place. Maybe you and I need a sub forum for our projects and technique articles. I am sure that people would love to see more of your process.

tennesseean_87
MoT Member

Post by tennesseean_87 »

Sporkboy wrote:

Well, we do know that they screen and censor PMs, so they probably consider PM commerce as rerunning a store and the thread as advertising for that store. Still BS though. You definitely add a cool crafting vibe to this place. Maybe you and I need a sub forum for our projects and technique articles. I am sure that people would love to see more of your process.

Yeah, a ha duck of guys have PMed me and asked and I’ve made straps for them. They always initiated.

This is certainly not a business, and at my skill level an (lack of) speed, it’ll never even be a profitable hobby![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:

I know you only quoted this because you are really jealous of that Spork he has!!!

Such BS they shut it down. I am glad you are still posting here though. I do love those 1 hole straps, so baller.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Sporkboy wrote:

I know you only quoted this because you are really jealous of that Spork he has!!!

Such BS they shut it down. I am glad you are still posting here though. I do love those 1 hole straps, so baller.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Well, if that spork was finished, then I would be jealous. It looks like it will take some machining to turn it into a proper spork, though that would be an impressive addition to my collection. For now it makes an interesting torture device or tattoo implement. As is it does make some cool stitching holes. I was wondering how the slanted stitches were put in so consistently.

I didn’t even think of the uni-hole straps being able to be shorter, that is even better. If you are making things yourself, you can make exactly what you want. If your wrist size changes, you can always add another hole. I think that when making it for someone else that 3 holes is probably safer, though undeniably less cool.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

tennesseean_87 wrote:
This is certainly not a business, and at my skill level an (lack of) speed, it’ll never even be a profitable hobby![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I am in the same boat with you. My skills are always improving, but I have other demands on my time make me slow to deliver anything that I am happy with. If there is a project well within my skill set that someone wants then I am not learning through the project. At any rate, I have had opportunities over the years to turn great hobbies into businesses, but I have never done it. Seems like a good way to ruin a good thing to me.

Closing your thread sounds like something that forum would do. Not nice, but not out of character.