We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Custom strap maker Balabanoff Leather

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
tnmats
MoT Member

Custom strap maker Balabanoff Leather

Post by tnmats »

Hi everyone,

Last week I received a couple of straps I purchased from an Etsy store, Balabanoff Leather

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Balabanoff

First off, the owner is a joy to deal with. I had a few exchanges with him via Etsy's messaging to find out some details about the straps along with the kind of customization he can do. Igor Balbaanoff (the store owner) replied quickly to my questions, including photos of different threads he offered and with details of the strap designs he could do.

1) First strap up is a blue Horween leather:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/925875041/ ... atch-strap

I had it customized with padding (4mm thick at the springbars, tapers to 2.5mm. I also had him changed the stitch to cream white, a custom 115/75mm length in 21mm width tapering to 18mm. I paired it with my Longines Spirit, the results are below (forgive my garbage watch photo skills)
blue.jpg
The strap is fantastic looking blue in person, with the low sheen and grain in the leather it makes the watch pop. The strap is quite comfortable too. If there's one thing I'd change it's the padding, namely making it a bit more flexible. Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near as stiff as a ready-made strap's padding but was hoping for something more flexible being custom. Igor cut it exactly to my 115/75mm request (I checked with my calipers :lol: ). I *love* the way it makes the watch look now plus the comfort beats any ready-made strap I own.

2) Second one was a brown Horween Chromexcel in dark brown:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1244441966 ... strap-band

The couple of of custom items were no taper, 18mm wide for the whole length, and 115/75mm and custom sized pin buckle holes to match the Hammy buckle's pin. No padding on this one so it's like I expect from Horween leathers, instant conforming to the wrist. I kept the stitch the same as the picture It looks perfect with my Hammy Aviation Pilot Pioneer
brown.jpg
If you have this same watch, ditch the garbage strap Hamilton supplies and get this one. You will be glad you did it.

The blue strap was $67 ($7 added for the padding), the brown was $60. For the workmanship it was a great price, both look fantastic with the respective watch I paired them with. Also, note that if you order on Etsy you also pay local sales tax.

I posted a review of a Tuns strap a short while ago, while his straps are also well made, I found Igor was a *lot* easier to work with if you want something custom. He always responded within 12 hrs (sometimes within minutes) and was patient with me during the entire process, sending me detailed photos of his materials and any question I had.

No matter which of these custom makers you choose you will not go wrong.

Even though his shop is in Ukraine, I was pleasantly surprised that I got the straps within just a shade under 3 weeks. I've already got a few other straps in my basket to order from him shortly. :D
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Custom strap maker Balabanoff Leather

Post by MoT »

Thanks for the review!

More custom watch makers is always a good thing. I will be checking out the store!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tnmats
MoT Member

Re: Custom strap maker Balabanoff Leather

Post by tnmats »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:30 pm Thanks for the review!

More custom watch makers is always a good thing. I will be checking out the store!
I may be crappy at my Etsy skills but I found very few full custom makers on the platform. I thought I found some others but either their designs were limited or their offerings weren't really custom.

Another Etsy full custom maker is (was?) Seila Leather but I think the owner may have hung up his apron. He had an announcement on his 'storefront' page' about his store reopening on Feb. 15 but it's still closed. There hasn't been any change in the announcement on the home page since January 3 either. I have a couple from him too, I love his work.