We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Paratrooper straps from Cheapest NATO Straps

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Paratrooper straps from Cheapest NATO Straps

Post by Boourns »

Have you had an Erika's to compare to [mention]FTE[/mention] ?
I wish that watch were 38mm?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:39 am Have you had an Erika's to compare to @FTE ?
No, I have never spent that much on a nato. Perhaps one of the other members can give a comparison.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

FTE wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am
Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:39 am Have you had an Erika's to compare to @FTE ?
No, I have never spent that much on a nato. Perhaps one of the other members can give a comparison.
I have one I got second had -- still cost me $40. It's nice but not $40 nice. My concern is I have gotten a couple cheapestnato straps that frankly I'd rather just not have a strap and my $6 or $9 back.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:57 am
I have one I got second had -- still cost me $40. It's nice but not $40 nice. My concern is I have gotten a couple cheapestnato straps that frankly I'd rather just not have a strap and my $6 or $9 back.
I think the noticeable difference is that Erica's and the Watch Gecho ones above are both true natos...meaning they loop back through so that two layers of fabric sit behind the watch. The cheapestnatostrap version has no end loop, so is more precisely a zulu strap. The issue I see with this (experienced now twice in the past hour), is that the zulu version comes loose quite easily. I think the elasticity of the material really needs a tension ring to keep it from slipping.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

FTE wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

I think the noticeable difference is that Erica's and the Watch Gecho ones above are both true natos...meaning they loop back through so that two layers of fabric sit behind the watch. The cheapestnatostrap version has no end loop, so is more precisely a zulu strap. The issue I see with this (experienced now twice in the past hour), is that the zulu version comes loose quite easily. I think the elasticity of the material really needs a tension ring to keep it from slipping.
I see. Thanks for clarifying. The Erika's might loosen a tiny bit from day to day, but it certainly doesn't need hourly adjustments. It seems like the Watch Gecko might be worth a try.

Honestly my biggest complaint about this style strap is that it is a pain to change out. Because it's a "closed loop" you have to take out the spring bars to change the strap, unlike a true NATO or single pass ZULU. (You can see this in the Watch Gecko pic that [mention]larand[/mention] posted. You can also see that when worn, the strap doubles back under your wrist, rather than between your wrist and the watch). In addition to having to remove the springbars to change it, installing the strap is also a bit cumbersome because you have the other side of the loop -- the side that ultimately sits under your wrist -- in the way as you are trying to get the watch side under the bar.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 am
FTE wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

I see. Thanks for clarifying. The Erika's might loosen a tiny bit from day to day, but it certainly doesn't need hourly adjustments. It seems like the Watch Gecko might be worth a try.

Honestly my biggest complaint about this style strap is that it is a pain to change out. Because it's a "closed loop" you have to take out the spring bars to change the strap, unlike a true NATO or single pass ZULU. (You can see this in the Watch Gecko pic that @larand posted. You can also see that when worn, the strap doubles back under your wrist, rather than between your wrist and the watch). In addition to having to remove the springbars to change it, installing the strap is also a bit cumbersome because you have the other side of the loop -- the side that ultimately sits under your wrist -- in the way as you are trying to get the watch side under the bar.
I see! The cheapestnstostrap version requires sliding off the buckle receiver to remove from the watch (or removal of the spring pins), but this is not too cumbersome. My only real complaint is that it keeps loosening on my wrist. I may wind up stitching the loop around the receiver or finding some other way of preventing slippage.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I was up past midnight and got frustrated with the constant loosening, so I sewed the strap to the buckle receiver. Just a few stitches near the receiver, cut the strap down, then a couple more to hold the end. It works now much better and I do not have to worry about it slipping off. Only downside is That to change the strap I now have to remove the spring pins.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

FTE wrote:I was up past midnight and got frustrated with the constant loosening, so I sewed the strap to the buckle receiver. Just a few stitches near the receiver, cut the strap down, then a couple more to hold the end. It works now much better and I do not have to worry about it slipping off. Only downside is That to change the strap I now have to remove the spring pins.

You might want to send cheapest NATO straps some feedback on this. If I have to do the same thing to mine when I get them then I will definitely complain about it.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

I might have to stick with the one I got from Ali Express. Down side I've yet to fine single coloured ones on there...

It's actually pretty good quality. I actually prefer these parachute straps over NATO straps. They feel more comfortable and hug the wrist nicely.

I've got a bunch of NATOs I might need to give away!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

FYI, I found a better solution to keep these from loosening during wear. I put a strip of fusible fabric between the loose end and the band and ironed it closed. Much easier than stitching and it keeps the buckle receiver from sliding and causing the band to loosen. Will post a pic tomorrow.
Click Icon To Contact Me

DuckaDiesel
MoT Member

Post by DuckaDiesel »

I was concerned that CNS may be a problem since there js no loop. I asked her about it and she said she wore jt for 6 months to test. I still bought a few to try. Curious to see what you did to close the loop. Appreciate the pics. I also have 3 strapomarine straps incoming. I can compare these to Erikas when they come. I have a feeling I should have just bought 2 erikas straps instead of these.
They are worth it when there is no good alternative. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Here is what I used...took 5 min and I am happy with the result. I think I would not buy these again though.

Click Icon To Contact Me

DuckaDiesel
MoT Member

Post by DuckaDiesel »

watchpalooza wrote:Here is what I used...took 5 min and I am happy with the result. I think I would not buy these again though.

So you did not make it a loop to go around your arm? You just sealed of the keeper? If the buckle gets unhooked, watch is still loose.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

DuckaDiesel wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm
watchpalooza wrote:Here is what I used...took 5 min and I am happy with the result. I think I would not buy these again though.
So you did not make it a loop to go around your arm? You just sealed of the keeper? If the buckle gets unhooked, watch is still loose.

That is correct. While there is a lot of fabric, Its not enough for a second loop. I have to say though that with the issue of loosening solved, the buckle is highly unlikely to unhook on its own.
Click Icon To Contact Me

cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Just got one of these myself, and it does seem as if the single-pass design with only a double-hole buckle is a design flaw. It needs either an elasticy-loop to tighten against the buckle or else a triple-hole buckle to keep the strap from loosening (or else you have to "permanently" stitch or fuse it, as noted above). I'm going to keep fiddling around to try to find another solution.