We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Bezel removal tool/knife

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Bezel removal tool/knife

Post by EA-Sports »

Hi all, I want to replace the bezel on my gold Turtle and I was wondering if there’s a special tool/knife that will make this task easier. I saw a bunch of YouTube videos showing how easy it is just by using regular knife but of course when I tried it it wasn’t that easy. If anything, I almost scratched the gold pvd on the case. I’d rather spend a few bucks buying the right tool than paying more for a watchmaker. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Bezel removal tool/knife

Post by TheJohnP »

Paging [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention] or [mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I use a cheap caseback knife from one of those $20 watch kits on Amazon. Been using it for years and it's probably the only good tool from that cheap kit which I still use. Always use masking tape on the case before you try to get a bezel off though. And you want to carefully wedge the tip between the case and bezel (I usually do it around the 8 o'clock area) and use a wiggle motion back and forth until it pops off.

I also use an old steak knife (the flatter part towards the handle) for harder to get into areas.

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Android nailed it. Mask off the case where you pry and once one edge lifts, slowly move around. Since its a Seiko, this technique will work but DO NOT try to pry the bezel from something like an 8926. Also, if you look carefully, there may be a gap between bezel and case somewhere, hopefully between lugs where there is less chance to scratch the case.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

recapt
MoT Member

Bezel removal tool/knife

Post by recapt »

Actually, I have an alternative to a metal tool that has served me extremely well. Buy these bike tire levers, which have the perfect angle for bezel removal and won’t ever leave a scratch. Be sure to apply pressure to the bezel toward the tool (push it into to tool) as you lever the edge upward with that tool. This is so you clear the lip that most bezels have holding them in place.

Also, I can only vouch for this exact design. There are many other bike tire levers out there but I have never tried any others.

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

I have seen a video on the Turtle that if you push hard on the opposite side of where you pry it will make it easier to come off due tne oring being compressed.

I can't remember the best location but they gave a pry spot but based on where the bezel mech spring tabs are located.
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

Thanks for the suggestion guys..I got that caseback removal tool from Amazon. We’ll see how it goes. As you can see from the pic there’s barely any gap between the case and the bezel.

EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

Ended up using Swiss Army knife covered with painter tape to prevent scratches and pushed one side of the bezel while trying to pry it out from the other side. A bit of before, during and after pics. Really liking the result. Image

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

That looks great!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody