We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Spring Bars

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
deckeda
MoT Member

Spring Bars

Post by deckeda »

Necessary evil? Surely. Object of procrastination? Guilty as charged.

Corrections / clarifications / additions are welcomed!

I'm starting with Otto Frei's page on what they sell, http://www.ofrei.com/page252.html

Right at the top their FB-504 is purported to be the Bergeon 6111 design in disguise, for less $$. Note that Otto says theirs came first. Both Swiss, but from different Swiss makers. The Bergeon 8111 appears to be a 6111 with different knurling.

All of the above can use the same reversible tips for different sizes.

The more widely known Bergeon 6767 S(standard) and 6767 F(ine) models don't use reversible tips. You buy either model and whatever optional tips you may want. Tips aren't compatible with the FB-504/6111/8111 designs.

I am also interested in the "Japanese style" Otto shows down on the page, because of the curved or "scoop" end. More than once I've wanted to position a spring bar tip by moving the tip itself sideways and not the strap upon it indirectly if you get my meaning. (And sometimes, you can't use the strap to do that if the strap/watchhead has zero space between them, eg. G Shock squares).

Your thoughts?
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Spring Bars

Post by DogOnTime »

My thoughts:

Just get the ones on eBay with hardened tips. Search "springbar tweezers" and you'll get a lot of results.

Ironically, I've found that the easiest method of swapping straps is using a long-blade watchmaker's knife and just sliding between the lug and strap, which was what I learned from a watchmaker; if you want to attempt this and aren't sure of your dexterity, you can slide a piece of cloth between the case and the lugs to prevent any scratches. The issue with the thin prongs/forks is that you dig into a small surface area and when you start applying force, you make a visible indentation over time on the strap and adding additional wear.

I often question people's investments on these tools when they're not watchmakers that have to uses the tools hundreds of times a day. Besides, it's well-known that Bergeon stuff is heavily overpriced for the layman.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

Oh, the knife used for prying off casebacks? I can see how that could work for leather straps.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Yes, but there are some that have a longer blade as well such as the one pictured below. I believe that all the Bergeon watch knives are made by Victorinox themselves so don't be skeptical if you run into that collaboration one.

I only point this out if you're less dexterous with your hands, you can use any blade that can squeeze between the edge of the strap and the interior of the lugs to catch the shoulders of the springbars. Covering the underside of the lug with tape will prevent or reduce any springbar scratches, especially from ones with stronger springs. Same rule applies to shoulderless springbars for drilled lugs (ie. Seiko).

The tweezers are great if you're removing springbars from tight bracelets but hardly necessary for standard straps.