We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
ohhenry1
MoT Member

Re: Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Post by ohhenry1 »

Stretch44 wrote:The 30% off at Timex is making me want to pull the trigger on the Mk1 mechanical. It would be $129, but something keeps telling me to not do it and hold out for a better deal.
Not sure if I should be telling you this, given the topic of the thread, but Rakuten is offering 15% cash back on Timex.com. You mentioned holding out for a better deal, which is why I'm bringing it to your attention.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Made it through Black Friday and Cyber Monday undamaged (except for a bracelet for my Chris Ward C65). [emoji1]
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I got a Hamilton I had on my radar for quite a while, figure it was a good deal. That was the good part. On a spur of the moment I also bought a couple of cheap CCCP's. Been somewhat interested in seeing what they offer, but this is something I could have, should have passed on. Cheap price, not finding anything I wanted led to an impulse buy. I fell for the "it's just an inconsequential cheap thrill" bored trap. All in all, I was very restrained this BF, CM compared to past years. Maybe that's because I already have so much of what I want, but it just never ends with so many new one's coming along.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

How did everyone do in 2020? Plans for 2021?

2020, a year in which I thought I was going to slow down to only a handful of new purchases at best, turned out to be a year of less purchases. Aside from an expanded collection of wearables approaching 30 but in flux with a few on the way out, I only regret a couple of purchases. I'm actually appreciating the greater variety to choose from with the minor inconvenience of less wrist time for most.

I started the year fine until I started researching the evolution of the quartz watch. Needless to say this often leads to purchases which led to a rekindling of interest in unrelated watches that led to additional purchases.

This year I do plan on becoming more selective as I continue to explore new models and specific branches in the vast world of watchmaking, while taking time for proper consideration before purchases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

flypanam wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:27 pm This is a great idea, thank you for this post!

I think especially with people either working from home or getting reduced hours, people in various "collectors" hobbies have been having a lot of difficulty in general. Its hard to keep from browsing and being tempted to buy when you don't have much else to do.

Finding some other (cheaper) hobbies is a good way to minimize temptation. I think it would be a good idea to share some other hobbies, interests, or activities that can be used to kind of fill that void. You know, something that's satisfying OTHER than that sense of anticipation when you order a watch, wait for it to arrive, and that excitement as you unbox it.

For example, it might sound weird but I just started to learn to lockpick. I suck at it, but its fun and challenging. A decent beginner set and some practice locks are a small initial investment, and honestly you're almost never going to need anything fancier than what you get in a beginner set (as long as you go for decent quality). Theres no real pressure to keep "upgrading" or forming a collection of tools. Part of what I like about watches is the mechanical aspect. Figuring out the mechanics of a lock is really fun. Also if the apocalypse does happen, I will have a new useful skill 😄

Music is another. If you take the time to look, you can get a cheap and decent quality guitar for a hundred bucks or less. Picks and strings are cheap and last a while. You can easily learn for free on websites or through youtube. Be careful with this one though, because there can be the tendency to keep upgrading and adding to your guitar collection. But you really don't need that $2000 Les Paul to become a confident player, and get satisfaction from that.

Some hobbies to avoid.... car modding.. whether the cars are nice or cheap the parts are still pretty expensive. And you'll always feel the urge to upgrade just one more part. Fragrance/cologne collection. You think WE'RE obsessed with always buying more? Check out some of the collections on /r/fragrance. Whisky collecting... same, expensive but with the addition of health risks as well! These are all from experience. I'd be interested in seeing what other people do as hobbies to get that sense of fulfillment and keep themselves entertained!
Too funny, I bought a lockpick set and started practicing in August. Also not very good at it yet.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Just came across this thread. Thanks all for sharing. I have overbought in the past; I must admit it is very hard to resist a good deal.

As I continue to downsize, I have realized it's hard to part with my watches, so for me, it's better to not buy than say goodbye (oh that rhymes!).

I have developed a couple of ways to stop myself from buying too many things, not just watches. First of all, for watches anyway, having a slim wrist and a preference for not having a watch take up too much wrist real estate rules out at least 80% of the watches out there for me, which certainly helps with limiting watch purchases. Beyond that, I have set strict criteria for what I'd find acceptable, then I act like a superb1tch towards every potential purchase, and I have a few friends who are also superb1tches in several product categories who are always ready and willing to "assist". So, after critiquing and receiving critique, I often back off. It's not always effective, but it does help a bit.

I have also identified only a very small amount of watches for which I'd trigger-buy (currently, only 1), and this is often reinforced by the feeling of "oh I am glad I did not buy that" 1 day or so after seeing a deal.

Finally, I like my watches to be worn, so if/when I have too many and they are not worn as frequently as I think they should, I feel a bit funny.

Different strokes for different folks of course. :)

I continue to make suboptimal purchase decisions at times, for sure, but I guess one can only try. :)
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

PetWatch wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:50 pm How did everyone do in 2020? Plans for 2021?

2020, a year in which I thought I was going to slow down to only a handful of new purchases at best, turned out to be a year of less purchases. Aside from an expanded collection of wearables approaching 30 but in flux with a few on the way out, I only regret a couple of purchases. I'm actually appreciating the greater variety to choose from with the minor inconvenience of less wrist time for most.

I started the year fine until I started researching the evolution of the quartz watch. Needless to say this often leads to purchases which led to a rekindling of interest in unrelated watches that led to additional purchases.

This year I do plan on becoming more selective as I continue to explore new models and specific branches in the vast world of watchmaking, while taking time for proper consideration before purchases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I did not too bad in last year, just sold more than i bought. And i did resist the sale season in recent months. Most interestingly, I have got 2 vintage seikos recently including one GS, which I have been enjoying very much. They didnt cost too much honestly, but the pleasure of learning the history, movements, etc was enormous. So I guess my plan is to focus on vintage seikos and citizens in 2021, continue to sell some watches that do not have much waist time. Just hope that I wont go into another rabbit hole. Cheers folks.