Until August 25, use code MOTMERCH for 10% off all orders!

MoT's has merch?!

Yes!

For anyone who has ever wanted to rock the MoT clock logo on a shirt, a hoodie, a notebook, or even a mug, we have news for you, you can!

Visit https://www.motmerch.com for a small selection of merchandise with your favorite watch deal website logo.

All products are produced and shipped by Teespring, a long-time leader in personal merchandising. Orders are safe and secure, and I have set all item prices myself, and everything is set to generate only the smallest of revenue.

Thanks for looking!

Windward Samples Came In!

An independant brand that focuses on nautical style, rugged performance and craftmanship.
http://www.seabornewatch.com

Moderator: SeaborneBrian

SeaborneBrian
Brand Rep

Post by SeaborneBrian » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:29 pm

And they are looking great! This is our entry into the “dressy field watch” category though I think it’s a bit more fun. From top to bottom we have the Seaside Edition; Nightfall Edition; Summer Sun Edition; and Watermelon Edition.

37mm diameter, 12.2mm thickness, 44.4mm L2L and 18mm lug width.

Case is polished though that might change. I’d like to keep the bezel polished but may brush the rest - let me know your opinions.

These dials are a really quite cool - sandwich style, multiple color lume with the ocean pattern. The finishing on the dial changes in varying light. It’s great to see and wear. While hard to see in the pic, the yellow is closer to a gold sheen, very Pogue-esque in a way.

Movement is the new US-built FTS USA 7ACO - a 28.8k bph movement with a full 5 year warranty. I’ve been wearing it for a few days and it’s really quite good. We’ve had sample watches with the movement in for a while and I’m very pleased. The Windward will be fully assembled and tested here in the US and it’ll be build with US and international parts.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author SeaborneBrian for the post (total 6):
ManOnTimeStretch44watchpaloozaWPybuspdsfRobotaz
ManOnTime
Site Admin

Re: Windward Samples Came In!

Post by ManOnTime » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:12 pm

SeaborneBrian wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:29 pm
And they are looking great! This is our entry into the “dressy field watch” category though I think it’s a bit more fun. From top to bottom we have the Seaside Edition; Nightfall Edition; Summer Sun Edition; and Watermelon Edition.

37mm diameter, 12.2mm thickness, 44.4mm L2L and 18mm lug width.

Case is polished though that might change. I’d like to keep the bezel polished but may brush the rest - let me know your opinions.

These dials are a really quite cool - sandwich style, multiple color lume with the ocean pattern. The finishing on the dial changes in varying light. It’s great to see and wear. While hard to see in the pic, the yellow is closer to a gold sheen, very Pogue-esque in a way.

Movement is the new US-built FTS USA 7ACO - a 28.8k bph movement with a full 5 year warranty. I’ve been wearing it for a few days and it’s really quite good. We’ve had sample watches with the movement in for a while and I’m very pleased. The Windward will be fully assembled and tested here in the US and it’ll be build with US and international parts.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thank you for sharing!

I like these a lot. Especially the Seaside Edition and Watermelon Edition.

I think I would personally prefer a brushed case with a polished bezel, an all-polished "field" seems a little odd.

I like the idea of using the FTS movement, hopefully, it proves to be a great one.
These users thanked the author ManOnTime for the post (total 3):
watchpaloozaWPybuspdsf
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:11 am

Thank you for sharing these. Very interesting designs and colorways. I agree with MoT above that some brushing would provide a bit more warmth and contrast. For the watermelon, I also wonder if the indices would benefit from increased contrast…perhaps green like the chapter ring? Would also be nice to see the seconds hand stand out a bit more. Perhaps make the minute and hour hands all yellow or all green and the seconds the other color?

I feel the other three get the indices right (high contrast). I would consider only the brushing and a uniquely colored seconds hand for these.

Lastly, I would consider shortening the hours hand a smidge and lengthening the seconds hand. Would also be ineteresting to see a counter-balanced seconds hand - the tail could be the shape of the brand logo.
These users thanked the author watchpalooza for the post (total 2):
WPybuspdsf
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
SeaborneBrian
Brand Rep

Post by SeaborneBrian » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

The case sides will be brushed on the final pieces. That’s been decided. My original design did have the brushing but the samples came polished. I think the brushed sides adds to the look more and gives the case a bit more durability from hairline scratching. Still debating on brushing the lugs as well. Where they get some wear and tear it might be worth it as well (though the polished is pretty!).

The watermelon Image in person has better contrast on the indices but it’s a valid point. Could be darker. The lume on the watermelon is really cool - see below. The insides are more red in person on the lume.

On the handset - as a designer I just don’t like extended handsets past the center. I play around and just never much like the look. I get it though - a few brands do have it that was and it’s not a bad look. I probably won’t change it but will look again.

Ultimately the buyers will dictate the volume we make of each of these. We are hand assembling and testing all these in the US which gives me way more flexibility in the amount of each color available. The Seaside Edition has the most interest based on early email sign-ups. With watermelon and yellow about tie and the blue last. The blue is really nice in person but we are really known for the cool colors. My guess is it’ll have a smaller run.

These users thanked the author SeaborneBrian for the post:
watchpalooza
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:02 am

Great looking watches!

I’ll echo comments from others.

The hands, hour is slightly too long and I would also add counterweight of some kind on the seconds. I might even shorten the minute hand slightly once the hour is shortened. I’d have to see the shortened hour mock-up to say.

Colors, I see some inconsistency in the color schemes. It seems like maybe you got really focused on each version and kinda drifted away from the theme. The yellow and watermelon have marker/hand color issues, in my opinion. The first watch you posted really nailed it. I would revisit the last two and think more about a consistent theme and how the colors can be adjusted with schemes that match the first two.

On the yellow #3 one, I think the hands should match the orange markers. I also would revisit the chapter ring color. First thing I’d do is go back to your first one that seems really well balanced and see how to pull cues from it.

The watermelon #4 has a marker/hand color issue, too, but I don’t really have any ideas yet. I will think about it. First thought is the markers that match the dial just seem inconsistent and off. There are some consistencies with #1, and some consistencies with #2. But they’re mixed in a way that’s inconsistent with both somehow.

Put me in the camp that would like to see the cases brushed.

All that said, your photo #1 you posted shows a really unique, smart, and attractive watch. It kinda reminds me of the more attractive Farer designs. The blue one is safe. After I worked on the last two I’d revisit the blue to see if there’s any way too subtly bring it up to the others on contrast and fun factor.

I would buy #1 as it is today and be very happy. I think you have something cool going, and just a few tweaks and you’ll have a solid lineup.

Good luck and I will look for your final designs!

Edit - I just looked at your website and see these watches seem to have different schemes, and honestly the ones on your website look “fixed”; subdued compared to these here, but consistent colors. I’m lost!?!
These users thanked the author Robotaz for the post (total 2):
ManOnTimewatchpalooza
Admit-to-IM

Post by Admit-to-IM » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:22 pm

I echo the sentiment about the yellow handset color being a bit jarring. Overall, I'm digging the idea of a dressy field watch in fun colors. The yellow and light blue are the standouts for me.
SeaborneBrian
Brand Rep

Post by SeaborneBrian » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Robotaz wrote:Great looking watches!

I’ll echo comments from others.

The hands, hour is slightly too long and I would also add counterweight of some kind on the seconds. I might even shorten the minute hand slightly once the hour is shortened. I’d have to see the shortened hour mock-up to say.

Colors, I see some inconsistency in the color schemes. It seems like maybe you got really focused on each version and kinda drifted away from the theme. The yellow and watermelon have marker/hand color issues, in my opinion. The first watch you posted really nailed it. I would revisit the last two and think more about a consistent theme and how the colors can be adjusted with schemes that match the first two.

On the yellow #3 one, I think the hands should match the orange markers. I also would revisit the chapter ring color. First thing I’d do is go back to your first one that seems really well balanced and see how to pull cues from it.

The watermelon #4 has a marker/hand color issue, too, but I don’t really have any ideas yet. I will think about it. First thought is the markers that match the dial just seem inconsistent and off. There are some consistencies with #1, and some consistencies with #2. But they’re mixed in a way that’s inconsistent with both somehow.

Put me in the camp that would like to see the cases brushed.

All that said, your photo #1 you posted shows a really unique, smart, and attractive watch. It kinda reminds me of the more attractive Farer designs. The blue one is safe. After I worked on the last two I’d revisit the blue to see if there’s any way too subtly bring it up to the others on contrast and fun factor.

I would buy #1 as it is today and be very happy. I think you have something cool going, and just a few tweaks and you’ll have a solid lineup.

Good luck and I will look for your final designs!

Edit - I just looked at your website and see these watches seem to have different schemes, and honestly the ones on your website look “fixed”; subdued compared to these here, but consistent colors. I’m lost!?!
Thank you for all the thoughts! The ones on the site were near final renderings then I made some changes last minute. Mostly to lume colors which do have an impact on actual color you see when not lumed).

I’d like to understand the counterweight- any examples you like out there? I’m not a fan but open to suggestion.

The yellow and watermelon have better contrast in person and the final pieces will have more thickness on the indices as well. I debated on white or black for the watermelon (sort of a rind/seeds thing) but never pursued it further. On the yellow I changed the chapter ring to a sand color but may match that to the dial. I don’t like the idea of too much yellow/black bumblebee going on since the idea is supposed to be closer to sun and sand. I agree the handset color is a bit off due to the lume paint and wanting to get the super yellow brightness. Doesn’t match the dial as much as I’d like.

Thanks for the feedback - feel free to keep adding. I’d like to get these spot on before I get to the ordering!

These users thanked the author SeaborneBrian for the post:
watchpalooza