We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Free watch to whomever can get this open

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Free watch to whomever can get this open

Post by watchpalooza »

AndyS wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:47 pm
lew_zealand wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:15 pm Is it possible the caseback is threaded backwards and you want to try twisting in a clockwise fashion?
This could be genius. Or the ultimate troll! :)
Definitely! Tried it nonetheless...no go.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

watchpalooza wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 pm
lew_zealand wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:15 pm Is it possible the caseback is threaded backwards and you want to try twisting in a clockwise fashion?
Definitely! Tried it nonetheless...no go.
Heh. I was wondering if you would. Maybe you just didn't try hard enough? ;)
lew_zealand

Post by lew_zealand »

Not trolling. Just trying to think outside the case box.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

lew_zealand wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Not trolling. Just trying to think outside the case box.
Admit it, you were trying to get him to make it even tighter. I see your game ;)
jcombs1
MoT Member

Post by jcombs1 »

PB Blaster is the product of choice to get rusty stuff loose here on the farm. Let it soak overnight and then use an extension, normally a piece of pipe, over the ratchet for extra leverage. If that doesn’t work then it gets the oxy-acetylene torch, first a little heat, then more heat, then a lot more heat. It can’t be stuck if it’s liquid, right?

I’ve used a nut-splitter with some success in spots where a torch wasn’t an option. That method might work but it would destroy the case back.

I think you will struggle until you can get access to a bench vise or a similar method to hold it more securely. I remember someone building a jig using a 2x6 piece of wood and either using a router after tracing the outline of the case or a small chisel to form the recess. Looked like it might work. Good luck.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

jcombs1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:44 pm PB Blaster is the product of choice to get rusty stuff loose here on the farm. ...
I just used it to free a frozen bearing on a vacuum cleaner beater bar. Based on jcombs1's ability to score free watches, I bet it will work in this case, too.
jcombs1
MoT Member

Post by jcombs1 »

[mention]watchpalooza[/mention] , I was trying to change the ball on a trailer hitch tonight and thought of you and this thread.

We have a couple of different trailers that we use in the farm and, of course, they use different sized balls. The drop on one of the hitches was too low and I needed to replace it with a straighter hitch and a smaller ball. Anyway, I grabbed a couple of pipe wrenches put the hitch in the vise and attempted to turn it, no go as it wouldn’t budge.

I soaked it with PB Blaster for a couple of days and nothing, it was on to stay. As I mentioned in a previous post here, I got the torch and put the heat to it. After a few tries of heating and wrenching, I finally broke the nut loose but it didn’t want to completely unscrew. Realize that I was using a 24” pipe wrench and it still wouldn’t come undone.

After some sweating and cussing I got a 4’ piece of pipe for leverage and really started to crank on it but the more I turned the nut the tighter it got. I believed it would finally loosen, it had to, as I was really wrenching on it. After a few more squirts of PB and more torque, it finally broke loose and fell to the ground.

But it hadn’t unscrewed, I had sheared the hitch bolt! Unbelievable, this is a big bolt and I couldn’t believe it had sheared off. Crazy, but at least I can replace the ball now.

This isn’t going to help with your case back but thought I would share a similar story of frustration. I hope you’ve made some progress with the watch.

Some pics, the quarter is for size reference. Excuse the dirty shop, it’s a wreck with all of the projects going on during lockdown.

2 5/16” ball
037F5D5B-E825-4385-B6D0-E024204C2F5F.jpeg
Sheared hitch bolt
7F5D8C86-7C47-4311-99B7-33B34820526D.jpeg
87D7FF93-83E7-406A-8231-F23068624E38.jpeg
18” and 24” pipe wrenches
D25B396D-9470-42E6-8C7D-CE5A7B593B6C.jpeg
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

14 sided caseback openers.
Use the Esslinger table to see what size is correct and try Ali for a cheaper option.

https://www.esslinger.com/individual-br ... ning-dies/

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32798099510.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1850809457.html
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

tjcdas wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:48 am 14 sided caseback openers.
Use the Esslinger table to see what size is correct and try Ali for a cheaper option.

https://www.esslinger.com/individual-br ... ning-dies/

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32798099510.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1850809457.html
:? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sicura- ... el.128552/

Problem solved! Look forward to my reward watch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Rabirnie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 pm https://omegaforums.net/threads/sicura- ... el.128552/

Problem solved! Look forward to my reward watch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:o :shock: :shock: :shock:
Click Icon To Contact Me

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I don't want to win a watch, but I do want to help!

Borrowed this from Vincenzo, one of the BSH guys who has forgotten more about watches than I'll ever know.
"Usually, there is no need for a sticky ball, or a fancy case opener set when you have a nice big roll of duct tape at your disposal.

What you do is pull out enough, say about 60-70% of the circumfence, and don’t tare it off, just fold it back over the roll. The length must be enough, so you can reach both ends comfortably with your fingertips. Then the trick is, once you have both ends at a firm grip, your thumb at one end and two fingers at the other, to apply lots of tension, so that the piece that now has the sticky bit outside is held very tightly against the roll. The tighter the better.

Then stick your watch to the roll somewhere halfway the sticky bit. The watch will now also comfortably adhere to the surface, which decreases the chance of it flying to a poor landing.

Then press down on the watch just as firmly as the other hand keeps the tape at tension, and turn the roll and the watch so that the caseback comes loose.

The action resembles what you would do with a sticky ball, only the roll of tape is now the sticky tool.

Same as with a sticky ball, chances of scratching your caseback are virtually zero. What I have noticed a lot by now, is when the sticky ball fails, the ducttape method often will get the job done, so my experience is, it works even better.

You also don’t really waste the piece of tape, as once done, you just remove the watch from the tape and fold the tape over the roll again."

ImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

kgrier

Post by kgrier »

I starred in your prequel movie with a Seiko FlightMaster Chrono two-tone with a SS back.

The epoxy guy is almost right. Clean the case back well, super-glue a bolt on with loctite 401. You need the surface area of the bolt. Let it sit a long time. Hours.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... e_401.html

PB Blaster is old tech. SpinOff is what you need. Link and Sweet Proj Cars video of it in action follow.

http://encoreindustrial.com/spin-off-th ... penetrant/

When you get the back off, soak it in acetone for a couple hours, maybe overnite to dissolve the 401.

ImageImage

rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

I have sets of both metric and inch sockets. I bet one of them would work. Bring it by my place next time you are in St Louis and we can give it a try
CDR_E
MoT Member

Post by CDR_E »

What an absolutely fascinating thread, . . . . I wait with baited breath on the next suggestion, attempt and progress (or lack thereof) report. And, yet, I must also confess to some sadness in the realization that this must, inevitably, one day, come to an end.