As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Watch running backwards?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
baldrick
MoT Member

Watch running backwards?

Post by baldrick »

Random thing happened today. I have a Spinnaker Bradner, which powered by an NH35 movement.

It's always been a bit finicky since I got it, taking more effort/motion than usual to get it running and keeping a charge.

Today, I noted that it had stopped and, after giving it a shake, the second hand started running backwards.

On further experimentation, it runs forwards or backwards depending on which way up the watch is positioned.

I've not seen this before - any idea what would cause it and is it an easy fix?

Cheers,

B

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tjcdas
MoT Member

Re: Watch running backwards?

Post by tjcdas »

No idea but a simple fix is just replace the movement.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Probably more hassle than its worth for me. No idea where I would source a new movement in Dubai and imagine the cost of having it replaced here would almost meet the cost of the watch.

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Small-Day ... Sw4IRfCYiR

Anyone who has modded a watch can swap out movements, this is just a 10 minute job for a watchmaker.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Thought I'd circle back on this with an update both frustrating and amusing.

I had some time this week, so figured I'd look at this watch again and see if it could be salvaged. First thing is to find out what the problem is. A spot of googling led me to the local(ish) authorised Seiko service centre, so off I go.

The conversation went something like this:

Baldrick: Hello, my watch isn't working properly and I'd like it serviced please. It's a Seiko NH35 movement.

Watch Tech: That's not a Seiko watch.

B: I know, but it's a Seiko movement- the NH35 - so I'm hoping you can look at it.

WT: [Looks at the exhibition back] This isn't a Seiko movement. It's the brand's own movement.

B: No, it's an NH35, they've just put their own rotor on it.

WT: NH35 isn't a Seiko movement.

B: Err...yes it is.

WT: No, Seiko movements are [reels off a list of other Seiko movements]

B: Yeees, but this is also a Seiko movement, a very common one. Look, here's about 59 websites confirming it is a Seiko movement.

WT: Ah, but that's just the Internet, it's often wrong.

B: O...kay? But in this case it's right. Look, it's basically a no-frills 4R35 or 36 movement.

WT: It's not a Seiko movement. I've never heard of this movement. You have to take it to the manufacturer or agent here.

B: That's you.

WT: ...

B: Look, you presumably have a database and a link to stock and parts from Japan, right? Go and check this movement.

WT: [5 minutes later ] It's a Seiko movement.

B: Yes, I know. So, you will service it, being the authorised SC and all...

WT: We'll look at it as a favour, but no guarantee and no warranty. Also, we won't test water resistance beyond 30 ATM [it's a dive watch]. Also it will cost you [obscene amount].

B: Fine.

Usually, I'd have walked away - it was a surreal conversation and I don't really have any faith in their competence. I can only hope that someone else actually does the work, as my options here are limited. The service price is also disproportionate to the value of the watch, but honestly I don't know where else I could get it fixed.

Let's see. I'm a bit peeved about the 30 ATM WR test, though. I'm going to assume - probably wrongly - that if it passes that test it will be fine for light water use / swimming etc. I won't use it diving anyway.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

baldrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:56 am Thought I'd circle back on this with an update both frustrating and amusing.

I had some time this week, so figured I'd look at this watch again and see if it could be salvaged. First thing is to find out what the problem is. A spot of googling led me to the local(ish) authorised Seiko service centre, so off I go.

The conversation went something like this:

Baldrick: Hello, my watch isn't working properly and I'd like it serviced please. It's a Seiko NH35 movement.

Watch Tech: That's not a Seiko watch.

B: I know, but it's a Seiko movement- the NH35 - so I'm hoping you can look at it.

WT: [Looks at the exhibition back] This isn't a Seiko movement. It's the brand's own movement.

B: No, it's an NH35, they've just put their own rotor on it.

WT: NH35 isn't a Seiko movement.

B: Err...yes it is.

WT: No, Seiko movements are [reels off a list of other Seiko movements]

B: Yeees, but this is also a Seiko movement, a very common one. Look, here's about 59 websites confirming it is a Seiko movement.

WT: Ah, but that's just the Internet, it's often wrong.

B: O...kay? But in this case it's right. Look, it's basically a no-frills 4R35 or 36 movement.

WT: It's not a Seiko movement. I've never heard of this movement. You have to take it to the manufacturer or agent here.

B: That's you.

WT: ...

B: Look, you presumably have a database and a link to stock and parts from Japan, right? Go and check this movement.

WT: [5 minutes later ] It's a Seiko movement.

B: Yes, I know. So, you will service it, being the authorised SC and all...

WT: We'll look at it as a favour, but no guarantee and no warranty. Also, we won't test water resistance beyond 30 ATM [it's a dive watch]. Also it will cost you [obscene amount].

B: Fine.

Usually, I'd have walked away - it was a surreal conversation and I don't really have any faith in their competence. I can only hope that someone else actually does the work, as my options here are limited. The service price is also disproportionate to the value of the watch, but honestly I don't know where else I could get it fixed.

Let's see. I'm a bit peeved about the 30 ATM WR test, though. I'm going to assume - probably wrongly - that if it passes that test it will be fine for light water use / swimming etc. I won't use it diving anyway.

Did they mean 3ATM, 30m? 30ATM is 300m, so I think you'd be fine there.

As for the rest of that....I would have walked away.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

3 ATM. I double-checked because it sounded wrong - especially as they presumably service Seiko divers. (Although, this guy obviously isn't exactly a reliable source of information....)