We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watch running backwards?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
baldrick
MoT Member

Watch running backwards?

Post by baldrick »

Random thing happened today. I have a Spinnaker Bradner, which powered by an NH35 movement.

It's always been a bit finicky since I got it, taking more effort/motion than usual to get it running and keeping a charge.

Today, I noted that it had stopped and, after giving it a shake, the second hand started running backwards.

On further experimentation, it runs forwards or backwards depending on which way up the watch is positioned.

I've not seen this before - any idea what would cause it and is it an easy fix?

Cheers,

B

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tjcdas
MoT Member

Re: Watch running backwards?

Post by tjcdas »

No idea but a simple fix is just replace the movement.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Probably more hassle than its worth for me. No idea where I would source a new movement in Dubai and imagine the cost of having it replaced here would almost meet the cost of the watch.

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Small-Day ... Sw4IRfCYiR

Anyone who has modded a watch can swap out movements, this is just a 10 minute job for a watchmaker.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Thought I'd circle back on this with an update both frustrating and amusing.

I had some time this week, so figured I'd look at this watch again and see if it could be salvaged. First thing is to find out what the problem is. A spot of googling led me to the local(ish) authorised Seiko service centre, so off I go.

The conversation went something like this:

Baldrick: Hello, my watch isn't working properly and I'd like it serviced please. It's a Seiko NH35 movement.

Watch Tech: That's not a Seiko watch.

B: I know, but it's a Seiko movement- the NH35 - so I'm hoping you can look at it.

WT: [Looks at the exhibition back] This isn't a Seiko movement. It's the brand's own movement.

B: No, it's an NH35, they've just put their own rotor on it.

WT: NH35 isn't a Seiko movement.

B: Err...yes it is.

WT: No, Seiko movements are [reels off a list of other Seiko movements]

B: Yeees, but this is also a Seiko movement, a very common one. Look, here's about 59 websites confirming it is a Seiko movement.

WT: Ah, but that's just the Internet, it's often wrong.

B: O...kay? But in this case it's right. Look, it's basically a no-frills 4R35 or 36 movement.

WT: It's not a Seiko movement. I've never heard of this movement. You have to take it to the manufacturer or agent here.

B: That's you.

WT: ...

B: Look, you presumably have a database and a link to stock and parts from Japan, right? Go and check this movement.

WT: [5 minutes later ] It's a Seiko movement.

B: Yes, I know. So, you will service it, being the authorised SC and all...

WT: We'll look at it as a favour, but no guarantee and no warranty. Also, we won't test water resistance beyond 30 ATM [it's a dive watch]. Also it will cost you [obscene amount].

B: Fine.

Usually, I'd have walked away - it was a surreal conversation and I don't really have any faith in their competence. I can only hope that someone else actually does the work, as my options here are limited. The service price is also disproportionate to the value of the watch, but honestly I don't know where else I could get it fixed.

Let's see. I'm a bit peeved about the 30 ATM WR test, though. I'm going to assume - probably wrongly - that if it passes that test it will be fine for light water use / swimming etc. I won't use it diving anyway.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

baldrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:56 am Thought I'd circle back on this with an update both frustrating and amusing.

I had some time this week, so figured I'd look at this watch again and see if it could be salvaged. First thing is to find out what the problem is. A spot of googling led me to the local(ish) authorised Seiko service centre, so off I go.

The conversation went something like this:

Baldrick: Hello, my watch isn't working properly and I'd like it serviced please. It's a Seiko NH35 movement.

Watch Tech: That's not a Seiko watch.

B: I know, but it's a Seiko movement- the NH35 - so I'm hoping you can look at it.

WT: [Looks at the exhibition back] This isn't a Seiko movement. It's the brand's own movement.

B: No, it's an NH35, they've just put their own rotor on it.

WT: NH35 isn't a Seiko movement.

B: Err...yes it is.

WT: No, Seiko movements are [reels off a list of other Seiko movements]

B: Yeees, but this is also a Seiko movement, a very common one. Look, here's about 59 websites confirming it is a Seiko movement.

WT: Ah, but that's just the Internet, it's often wrong.

B: O...kay? But in this case it's right. Look, it's basically a no-frills 4R35 or 36 movement.

WT: It's not a Seiko movement. I've never heard of this movement. You have to take it to the manufacturer or agent here.

B: That's you.

WT: ...

B: Look, you presumably have a database and a link to stock and parts from Japan, right? Go and check this movement.

WT: [5 minutes later ] It's a Seiko movement.

B: Yes, I know. So, you will service it, being the authorised SC and all...

WT: We'll look at it as a favour, but no guarantee and no warranty. Also, we won't test water resistance beyond 30 ATM [it's a dive watch]. Also it will cost you [obscene amount].

B: Fine.

Usually, I'd have walked away - it was a surreal conversation and I don't really have any faith in their competence. I can only hope that someone else actually does the work, as my options here are limited. The service price is also disproportionate to the value of the watch, but honestly I don't know where else I could get it fixed.

Let's see. I'm a bit peeved about the 30 ATM WR test, though. I'm going to assume - probably wrongly - that if it passes that test it will be fine for light water use / swimming etc. I won't use it diving anyway.

Did they mean 3ATM, 30m? 30ATM is 300m, so I think you'd be fine there.

As for the rest of that....I would have walked away.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

3 ATM. I double-checked because it sounded wrong - especially as they presumably service Seiko divers. (Although, this guy obviously isn't exactly a reliable source of information....)