We're Moving!

Click for more info.

"The Switch" (Casio project)

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

"The Switch" (Casio project)

Post by Klaatu3 »

theswitch-mm.jpg
No, this post isn’t about a certain episode of an iconic sitcom. Nor is it about Jerry’s Breitling. It’s about another kind of switch.

I’ve owned a Casio AMW320 ana-digi for years (watch on the right, below), but it hasn’t been getting much wrist time lately. Mainly because of my aging eyes, and the lack of contrast between the gold-tone hands and the champagne dial, which affects legibility. That's a shame. It’s been bugging me lately, so I set out to find a set of hands with more contrast...and attempt “The Switch.”
pcmx252401.jpg
For the donor watch, I found a somewhat banged-up, used AMW330 chronograph with silver dial (left watch), with nice black-edged hour & minute hands. Though they appeared identical in size, I wasn’t sure the hands would fit the AMW320, but I took a chance.
I acquired some basic hands tools, watched a few Youtubes, and practiced on a couple of older fashion watches, before tackling the Casio project. Long story short…I managed to switch the hands from the AMW330 to the 320 this weekend (see after photo below). Presto--it can be done! I can tell the time without glasses again. Hello, wrist time! I did decide to keep the original (gold) seconds hand to retain some continuity with the original design.
pcmx253504.jpg
pcmx252702.jpg
Now, the question is: how much more will I dip my toe into the wonderful world of Mods?

NOTE: No roommates were harmed in the making of this post.
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: "The Switch" (Casio project)

Post by BostonCharlie »

Well done -- I like how the black hands tie in with the black in the bezel. My own aging eyes have made readability a big consideration, so I totally get it.
CDR_E
MoT Member

Re: "The Switch" (Casio project)

Post by CDR_E »

Klaatu3 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:27 pm theswitch-mm.jpg

No, this post isn’t about a certain episode of an iconic sitcom. Nor is it about Jerry’s Breitling. It’s about another kind of switch.

I’ve owned a Casio AMW320 ana-digi for years (watch on the right, below), but it hasn’t been getting much wrist time lately. Mainly because of my aging eyes, and the lack of contrast between the gold-tone hands and the champagne dial, which affects legibility. That's a shame. It’s been bugging me lately, so I set out to find a set of hands with more contrast...and attempt “The Switch.”

pcmx252401.jpg

For the donor watch, I found a somewhat banged-up, used AMW330 chronograph with silver dial (left watch), with nice black-edged hour & minute hands. Though they appeared identical in size, I wasn’t sure the hands would fit the AMW320, but I took a chance.
I acquired some basic hands tools, watched a few Youtubes, and practiced on a couple of older fashion watches, before tackling the Casio project. Long story short…I managed to switch the hands from the AMW330 to the 320 this weekend (see after photo below). Presto--it can be done! I can tell the time without glasses again. Hello, wrist time! I did decide to keep the original (gold) seconds hand to retain some continuity with the original design.

pcmx253504.jpg

pcmx252702.jpg

Now, the question is: how much more will I dip my toe into the wonderful world of Mods?

NOTE: No roommates were harmed in the making of this post.
Outstanding Mod to resurrect the usability of a classic Casio!!

Makes me want to start wearing mine again.