We're Moving!

Click for more info.

How to Replace OMEGA Seamaster Bezel Insert

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
ValueYourWatch.com
Brand Rep

How to Replace OMEGA Seamaster Bezel Insert

Post by ValueYourWatch.com »

This blog post was originally posted here

Here are a few inventory pieces to review.

Bezel removal tool
Replacement bezel, bezel insert, click spring, and bezel spring
Finger cots or a glove to prevent smudges and provide grip
High Concentrate Isopropyl Alcohol Swabs
Rodico
Microfiber cloth
Plastic Pry Bar

Bezel removing tool

The bezel remover tool will insure the bezel is removed without damaging the case. The replacement parts are self-explanatory, as are the finger cots.

High concentrate isopropyl is needed as lower concentrates will leave impurities behind that can scratch/damage the case or crystal. Swabs and the cloth will help remove dirt/debris that the rodico doesn’t pick up. The plastic pry bar shouldn’t be needed, but is good to have to assist in tandem with the bezel remover if it’s giving you trouble. The plastic is soft enough that it won’t damage the case.

Now that we’ve gone over the parts, let’s get to it. The first order of business is to ensure your workspace is clean, and then suit up with your finger cots. I like to use them on my thumb, index finger, and middle finger. You can use more if you like, but I recommend having cots on at least 3 fingers.

Next, we’ll want to grab our bezel remover tool. With one hand, securely hold the watch, and with the other, position the tool around the bezel and make sure the edges go into the tiny spacing between the bezel and the case.

If it didn’t, you might need a 3rd set of hands to use a plastic pry bar to get into the spacing the removal tool provides (like I did for this project), then softly apply additional pressure to help get the last bit of the bezel off.

Now that the bezel is off, go ahead and inspect the click ring and case for dirt and grime. Gently lift up and remove the click ring for cleaning. Be careful not to bend any of the little tabs that are sticking up. If there’s only a little dirt, try using rodico to remove it. If it’s really caked on there, like it was for this project, bring out the big guns. We want to use a high concentrate of Isopropyl alcohol because it doesn’t interact with steel, and lower concentrations have impurities that get left behind as the alcohol evaporates.

This way we ensure that the debris is removed without leaving any traces behind. Be very gentle on the click spring, and then proceed to cleaning the track that it lays in. Use cotton swabs to help with the removal, and change them out frequently. If you use it too much, they can hold too much debris that might scratch the case if you apply too much pressure while cleaning it.

Once the Case and click ring are looking good, re-insert the click ring (there’s a small notch at the top of the case, and a little “lip” on the click ring that slides ever-so-perfectly into the notch). For this project, we have a replacement bezel and bezel assembly (already assembled as a complete part from Omega), so all we have to do is remove it from the packaging, and then make sure it lines up correctly with the 12-hour marker.

Once we ensure that it does, we carefully, yet firmly, apply even, downwards pressure on the outer edges of the bezel until it clicks down and into place. Once in place, make sure it’s all the way on by adjusting the bezel. It should only rotate ONE way, and the clicks should be a little stiff. If it can move clockwise and counter-clockwise, it’s not on all the way and needs to be pressed down more. Otherwise, you have successfully completed this repair!

The article was written by Athony Sansone
MoT
Site Admin

Re: How to Replace OMEGA Seamaster Bezel Insert

Post by MoT »

This is great information to have, and I think some of it can be applied to other watches with removable bezels.

Thank you for sharing!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
ValueYourWatch.com
Brand Rep

Post by ValueYourWatch.com »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:14 pm This is great information to have, and I think some of it can be applied to other watches with removable bezels.

Thank you for sharing!
Glad it can help others
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Not gonna lie. I did a double take at the pic of those finger cots :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »