We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Anybody ever build a NH35/36 watch from parts?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
AndyS
MoT Member

Anybody ever build a NH35/36 watch from parts?

Post by AndyS »

I was down the rabbit hole that is AliExpress during their sale last week, and I saw one of the side window recommendations for aftermarket SKX007 knock off cases, case back, bezel, crystal, dial, stem, crown and hands sets. On sale, these were as low at $35 (prices higher now). NH35/NH36's are $35-$40 from other sellers. Was tempted to buy and build a cheap watch out of these things. Anybody done it? I've generally not bought a ton of automatics (sacrilege!), but having a cheap watch that's Tennessee Vols colors seemed like a fun project.

Link

If you look at the pictures, chapter rings look off on many of the examples, but it looks like the crystals aren't installed, so maybe they're just slapped together for pics? Also, this black case with orange setup has a red signed crown. Probably could paint that, or the site says they can give you a custom mix of parts.

Any reason this would be overly complicated if you've done basic watch mods in the past and have a cheap crystal press and other basic watch tools? I've watched Youtube vids of most of the mods that people do, so don't think I couldn't do it. Not a ton of money to risk, either. I'm sure I could piece together better components and spend a bunch more money if I wanted to, but was thinking keep this low budget as more of an adult lego project vs having a $400 bespoke watch.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Anybody ever build a NH35/36 watch from parts?

Post by MoT »

This sounds like a thread for @denormalize, @AndroidIsAwesome and @Dub Rubb, just to name a few.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody