We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Websites and Online Tools for Vintage Collectors

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Websites and Online Tools for Vintage Collectors

Post by watchpalooza »

Starting this thread for members to share online resources for the vintage collector, excluding purchase sites (saving those for another thread). All resources related to determining watch history, researching potential purchases, movement identification, dating, finding repair parts, etc. Below are the ones I have found most useful (visible only to members). Please feel free to share your own.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Websites and Online Tools for Vintage Collectors

Post by yinzburgher »

Great idea and thanks for putting this all in one place! I'm not really a vintage collector but part of the reason is that I'm too intimidated. Some of the resources here could definitely help. I sometimes think about picking up a vintage King Seiko but then I usually remind myself that I know nothing about them so I'll likely pay too much and get a poor example. I found a guide from Fratello Magazine that could maybe help me or others. I know your not exactly a Seiko fan [mention]FTE[/mention], but it's ok, we love you anyway. :lol:

A Vintage Seiko Buyer’s Guide to Affordable Goodness
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Added resources for vintage Timex’s, Citizen and digital watches.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

What about blogs or sites that feature vintage watch repair and methods?

I stumbled on this one, that seems like a serious time-sink of anecdotes and information for the brands/models/projects covered. https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.

Strictly speaking it’s not reference site but seems to fit the intent for someone wanting to learn.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:16 am ... I sometimes think about picking up a vintage King Seiko but then I usually remind myself that I know nothing about them so I'll likely pay too much and get a poor example. ...
My link above has some KS examples with some trials and tribulations involved. Ever since I saw the KS that WatchGeek (YouTube) featured (a 4502) I’ve been lusting after a similar case with those twisted angular lugs.

My particular why-aren’t-people-doing-this involves NH36 mods for (vintage) cases that do not rhyme with “SNK” or “SKX.” Movement spacers, stems/crowns seem to be the knowledge areas lacking in a flood of available mods happening there.
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

deckeda wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:52 am What about blogs or sites that feature vintage watch repair and methods?

I stumbled on this one, that seems like a serious time-sink of anecdotes and information for the brands/models/projects covered. https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.

Strictly speaking it’s not reference site but seems to fit the intent for someone wanting to learn.
I couldn't get the above link to work. I had better luck at https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/