We're Moving!

Click for more info.

August 2020 Watch Fast

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by Sporkboy »

In a few days I will attempt a watch fast for the month of August. You are welcome to join me if you'd like.

Background
Conceived and popularized by the Two Broke Watch Snobs, a watch fast is where you try to go a full calendar month wearing the same watch. This gives one a chance to really get to know a watch and allows you to see what you miss in other watches...or what you don't miss. It may provide a sort of WIS clarity that few other experiences can provide. It is as if all of your other watches are gone, and this is all you have for the month.

There are variations of this. Some purists say that switching out straps is cheating, but I think that's fine.

Rules
For myself I am setting these rules:
-Strap/bracelet changes are allowed.
-When I wear a watch, it must be my watch fast watch.
-I can't 'try on' another watch until the fast is complete or I fail.
-I can still do any mods or repairs of other watches as that is a different aspect of the hobby.

Invitation
If you'd like to join me on this watch fasting journey, state your intent and the watch you intend to use. You can change your mind on which watch to use up until the start of the challenge.

We can use this thread to discuss insights, frustrations and that sort of thing. I was going to do it anyway, but I thought it would be more fun with a few friends.

My Watch Fast Watch
I could make this easy, but I don't think I'd learn anything. For this challenge I am leaning towards my blue Seiko 5 sports watch, which I have tried to love in the past and just haven't clicked with it. Different straps didn't do it, it just didn't seem to suit me. On [mention]TheJohnP[/mention]'s suggestion, I have been wearing it for a couple of days and I think I need to give this watch a real shot. I could change my mind on using this watch, but I have a few days to decide.
150C86C2-BAB2-461E-B20A-A37EFF2BE122.jpeg
I don't know that I will make it to the end, but I'm sure it will be an experience either way.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Re: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by tjcdas »

This could be very tough. :twisted:

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

If a potential purchase comes through before August 1, I am in.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Interesting idea. I don't think I could do it. The first thing I thought about was Kramer yelling, "I'm OUT! :lol: "

If I were in Matt's shoes, and had something special inbound...maybe. The two Ross Simon's dual winders that I ended up with are in my office. They are not winding but just serving as storage. It may sound silly, but I enjoy being away from those watches over the weekend or when I am away then coming back to them a couple of times during the work week.

Good luck, and I can't wait to follow your experience!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I think that if this wasn’t a difficult task then it wouldn’t be a useful exercise. I am going to give it a shot, and I may just start hating the watch half way through and have to quit. I really don’t know how it will go, but I am sure I will learn something about something.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 am If a potential purchase comes through before August 1, I am in.
...and I'll be joining in.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Would rather take a bullet...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 pm I think that if this wasn’t a difficult task then it wouldn’t be a useful exercise. I am going to give it a shot, and I may just start hating the watch half way through and have to quit. I really don’t know how it will go, but I am sure I will learn something about something.
Is it a Snk793, love that watch.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I normally wear a different watch each day and often in the second half of a day, so this challenge strikes me as emotionally unworkable.

There was a time when I would be up for this. That was before the invasion of the watch boxes, which are full and remain in my closet as an occupying force.

Be strong, all who enter.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I'm considering, but not sure I will.
Have a Kickstarter that I'm waiting to arrive, and if it arrives in August, I don't want to wait until September to try it on.

Something else to consider for those that do participate.
We better some some interesting and changing backgrounds in WRUW and the LWDS posts. ;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:02 pm Would rather take a bullet...
Got it, I will put you down as ‘maybe’.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:55 pm I'm considering, but not sure I will.
Have a Kickstarter that I'm waiting to arrive, and if it arrives in August, I don't want to wait until September to try it on.
Oh crap. Me too. I forgot. :?

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

tommy_boy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:39 pm I normally wear a different watch each day and often in the second half of a day, so this challenge strikes me as emotionally unworkable.

There was a time when I would be up for this. That was before the invasion of the watch boxes, which are full and remain in my closet as an occupying force.

Be strong, all who enter.
I would struggle with just wearing one watch per day.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Being derailed by kickstarters comes with the territory and there is no shame in dropping out of a watch fast for such a reason, you just don’t get the bragging rights that come with a completed fast.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

tjcdas wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 pm I think that if this wasn’t a difficult task then it wouldn’t be a useful exercise. I am going to give it a shot, and I may just start hating the watch half way through and have to quit. I really don’t know how it will go, but I am sure I will learn something about something.
Is it a Snk793, love that watch.
Yep, that is the watch. I can never recall the model number, but it is probably on the dial or something. Up to this point, I would have been better getting one of the military inspired models, but I had plenty of those. I do like the blue though. Seems like if it had more water resistance it might make a good GADA watch.