We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth (Red Dial) Grade 5 Titanium

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
aldi
MoT Member

Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth (Red Dial) Grade 5 Titanium

Post by aldi »

Reposting here as a standalone thread

----

My Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth Grade 5 Titanium which I've been eagerly anticipating for the past 2 months just arrived earlier this week.

My reason for purchasing this watch was to fulfill my lust for a deep red/burgundy dial watch with applied indices. I considered several red dial watches e.g. Orion Hellcat, Oris Big Crown but ultimately felt that the value for money this Proxima offered was too hard to pass by.

In that sense, I view this as a counterpart to my SARB017: unconventional colored dial with gold hands, while introducing some unique features (grade 5 titanium/sapphire bezel vs inner rotating compass bezel) at a reasonable pricepoint.

I also like how Proxima is introducing unconventional color choices and introducing new materials (PVD/titanium) as opposed to other homage manufacturers which seem intent on making lazy improvements off conventional models.

Good:
- Value for money at 290 USD shipped
- I like the color palette of a rich burgundy dial contrasted with thickly lumed applied indices and gold hands along with a gunmetal titanium case/bracelet
- Strong lume which can last for hours
- Good customer service. See the videos/photos below which Proxima sent me before shipping the watch.

Bad:
- Bezel has significant backplay, around 1/2 a minute
- Stamped stainless steel clasp feels flimsy
- AR is non-existent

Comments:
- I'm still not convinced on the functionality of the day function since the day text is color matched to the dial i.e. you can only see it when under lume
- I'm not sure if this actually is Grade 5 titanium since I've already noticed some hairline scratches on the bracelet after 2 days of use.
- In my opinion, I would prefer if they used a date-less hi-beat movement e.g. PT5000 or 9015 and would pay at most 400 USD, if they also upgraded the clasp.

Pictures are on my 6.75 inch / 17.15 cm wrist

Proxima pre-shipment deliverables:

baldrick
MoT Member

Re: Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth (Red Dial) Grade 5 Titanium

Post by baldrick »

The lumed days and date are pretty cool, but difficult to pull off. Visitor did something similar with their date wheel on the duneshore, but it has never really worked for me - it never seems to get enough charge to justify the gimmick.

Your lume shot looks great though - I would get a kick out of seeing the day gradually light up as evening falls.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk