We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Aquatico Sea Star V2

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Aquatico Sea Star V2

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Aquatico may not be a brand that is very familiar to you but they started in 2017 and have been producing high value watches ever since. They have mostly done dive watches but have a couple of pilot watches also in their portfolio. Regardless of the model they were intended by Aquatico to be used and not just as wrist jewelry. A few months ago, I was given the opportunity to review their Bronze and Tritium Super Charger V2. The watch impressed me with their build quality, feature set, and use of Tritium. So, when asked if I would like to review the new Sea Star V2, I jumped on it, especially since the sizing and scale of this model looked to be more in line with my personal preferences.

The version I have is the blue dial with blue ceramic bezel and sword hands. All in there are 13 variants that employ a variation of date, no date, snowflake hands, sword hands, 4 dial colors, 2 movements, and 4 ceramic bezel inserts. The Sea Star V2 sells for $299 with a standard metal bracelet and an additional color coordinated NATO strap. In addition, most times when I see the Aquatico site they are offering 10% off for signing up for their newsletter. EDIT: They are offering a Valentines Day Special right now for 15% off using the code VDAY21.

CASE

The case is 42mm in diameter, 50mm from lug-to-lug and 14.5mm in height. The case is made entirely of stainless steel, and has an all-brushed finish. The modest mid-case extends out into short lugs that curve mildly down towards the wrist, with a lug width of 22mm. The bezel does not protrude out of the 42mm case but there is a bit of space between the mid-case and coin edge of the bezel allowing for plenty of grip. The bezel action is precise with no back play at all but it is a little stiff to turn but I suspect that will get better with additional use.

The insert is made of Ceramic and all the indexes are fully lumed including the pip at 12 o’clock. The ceramic has a glossy finish that compliments the shiny gilt accents of the dial. There is a 7mm screw-down crown at the 3 o'clock position that is fairly easy to grip and operate. The crown operating experience is good with no stem or crown wobble. The current trends are towards ever larger crowns but I think the restraint shown by Aquatico here was perfect. The case back is a screw down case back with a display back. The Rotor is modestly decorated and the watch is water resistant to 300m. My preference on a dive watch will always be for a closed and deeply engraved case back though.

The sapphire crystal is a flat top hat style crystal that sits just proud of the bezel. It is internally domed adding depth and visual interest to the dial. I didn’t see any signs of AR coating but it was never a big issue during my time with the watch.

Dial

The dial of the Sea Star is really the star of the show. Not because of any individual elements but rather the way the whole thing comes together. There is a printed outer minute track that is interrupted at intervals of 5 with applied markers of gilt surrounds filled with Vintage Patina colored lume. Looking at the gilt or gold tone of the markers the metal almost has a little red in it and gives the dial a nice rustic look, without the brightness that other gilt dials suffer from.Normally patina lume effectiveness is woefully inadequate but Aquatico’s formula works well. I had no problem using the watch through the night. The lume of the hands, markers, and bezel are all of relatively equal intensity.

The brand's Name is applied below the 12 o'clock index. Below that the word Automatic which I think could have been eliminated. Above the 6 O’clock index we have Sea Star and 1000ft/300m. The font style and scale is delicate and I think they found the perfect balance of size for legibility but not being obtrusive. I would have colored the depth rating in the same orange color of the seconds hand though.

The hour and minute hands are the familiar sword style hands that continue the same design, style, and finishing of the indices, and are well proportioned. The finishing on the hands is good, and they're generously filled with lume. The seconds hand is a reddish orange and contrasts beautifully against the deep blue dial. But I think this is where they missed an opportunity. I would have preferred the seconds hand and the Red triangle on the bezel be the same color. These touches of color add a lot to the attractiveness of this watch but the colors should match.

Lastly, I will mention the dial itself. It’s a beautiful deep blue dial. The dial is not sunburst. It is not glossy. It is a very fine satin matte texture that reflects light when called upon but most often just seems to mind its own business. The blue is dark enough that pictures can make it look black. But in person it maintains its blue presence. The deep blue dial, with the delicate gilt accents, vintage lume, and small pops of color make this dial one of my favorite of any watch I’ve owned under $500. It is a very attractive look that is somewhat reminiscent of the subtle blue and orange combo on the Planet Ocean GMT 600M. I would love to see this with a glossy dial too!

MOVEMENT

This watch uses a Seiko NH35, which is a good movement in this price category. There is an upgrade available to the Selitta SW200 for $200 but I think the NH35 is a fine movement in this watch and I would not personally pay the premium for the upgraded movement. The one big niggle I have is that this is a no date watch but there is still the phantom date position of the crown action. I’ve been spoiled by so many brands designing around that these days. This is a minor criticism that other brands are guilty of as well but I need to mention that it exists. My sample must be magnetized because I am experiencing +40 seconds a day accuracy at the moment.

BRACELET

The brushed bracelet on the Aquatico Sea Star 2 is very familiar in design. Simple oyster style links that adjust with push pins. 22mm Solid End Links that taper to 20mm at the clasp. The clasp is stamped with a fully milled hinge system and features a fold over friction lock to stop it from popping open, along with four micro-adjustment points. It has a lightly engraved Aquatico text on the clasp also. The female endlinks help offset the slightly longer L2L as well. The bracelet as a whole has a pleasant heft to it and all the links move smoothly with no hair pulling. I would rank this Aquatico bracelet ahead of anything Seiko or Orient offer at a similar price point. Solid, comfortable, and functional. I honestly preferred this watch on various nato and leather straps but the bracelet is more than competent.

ImageImage

Final Thoughts

The best thing I can say about this watch is that I find it to be comfortable and attractive. That simple combination for any watch means I will pick it often to wear. I have worn this watch to sleep on many occasions with no issue. It looks great on the bracelet and just about any strap I have paired it with. The watch as a whole uses very familiar elements that we have seen on a dozen different watches but executes it in a unique way that doesn’t come across as a homage to anything. Furthermore, I find the overall look to be very homogenous and as I said one of the most attractive of any watch, I have owned under $500. Thickness could be an issue for some. It never bothered me but I could easily see the value in losing 100m of water resistance and a couple of millimeters in thickness. Overall, I find little to fault with the Sea Star V2. It is an attractive, practical watch using reliable and affordable movements. The watch can easily be a beater or an affordable daily wearer given its strap compatibility.

Aquatico is currently running a Valentines discount for 15% off. Use code VDAY21. That brings this watch down to $254 USD including Fedex shipping. When you consider the package offered, this is an amazing value.

-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Aquatico Sea Star V2

Post by TheJohnP »

Great review!
Love all those fantastic pics.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Great review, thank you for posting!

It looks like there is a lot of value for the dollar. I like that they chose to use a more robust clasp rather than the millimeters thin clasps many others do. That's definitely a plus in my book.

Of course I love that this is no-date as well. ;)
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:51 pm Great review!
Love all those fantastic pics.

Thank you and [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] ! I like doing reviews but they are time consuming. I appreciate the comments. I do try to take decent pictures. I don't use anything but an Iphone so its challenging to bring quality photos into the mix.
-- Enjoy your time
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Great review and fantastic photos! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Great write up! Really enjoyed it and you should do another.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Stretch44 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 pm Great write up! Really enjoyed it and you should do another.
Thank you
-- Enjoy your time
sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

Thanks for the review - considering a snowflake vintage gilt version