We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Review: Monta Atlas GMT

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Review: Monta Atlas GMT

Post by WhichWatch? »

As some of you know from the discord server, I’m the new owner of a Monta Atlas GMT. I haven’t written a watch review before but here goes.

I’ve been very interested in owning a Monta ever since I went hands-on with their Ocean King 2 at the 2019 WindUp Watch Fair in San Francisco CA. Nearly 2 years and 1 global pandemic later, I finally got around to it. They did not have an Atlas in the booth at the watch fair but my box was lacking a GMT and has a surplus of divers so I decided pick up a lightly used Atlas.

The Atlas checks in with a 38.5mm diameter, 47mm lug-to-lug and a mere 10.2mm high. I was slightly concerned that it would feel too small on my 6.75” wrist, but I’ve hardly taken it off. As many have touched on, the finish is superb. The brushed case is svelte, with polished chamfers and indices adding a bit of “bling” without being obnoxiously shiny.

The dial is a charcoal color with a sunburst effect that almost looks silver at times but closer to black when not in direct light. Legibility is very good, as the applied indices are filled with Swiss LumiNova while the polished beveled edges make them easily seen at any angle. I do think the dial would look better without the “Atlas” moniker printed on it. There is a lot going on and that seems a bit like clutter. The 24-Hour markers for the GMT hand are well-executed along the chapter ring.

Monta bracelets have been extensively written about and this one lives up to the hype. The finishing is excellent, and it’s the most comfortable bracelet I own due to the fully articulating links. The finish and detail on the case and bracelet are exceptional.

One final note; the presentation of the watch is excellent. The box is a very nice piano finish that rivals my Omega in terms of quality. Everything about the watch “feels” luxurious. I am very happy with my Monta Atlas and I’d encourage anyone who is on the fence about the brand to check it out for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Review: Monta Atlas GMT

Post by TheJohnP »

Thanks for sharing!

Love that color. Love that size.
Not too fond of that price however.

Do the indices slant down to the dial?
That would be a cool effect if they do
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

They do, ever so slightly. This watch is really a joy to look at.

I hear you on the price, at least retail - they are higher priced than similarly spec’d watches from other micro brands. I have owned Zelos, Halios, Doxa’s and others; the finish here is much, much nicer. I got this used and was able to trade a watch that I wasn’t wearing much to defray much of the cost. The Atlas GMT go for ~$1300 or so used, and I feel they’re worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for the review! Been interested in Monta for a wee while; happy to hear from an owner's point of view.