We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Timex Mk1 36mm Camper (TW2R58300)

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Timex Mk1 36mm Camper (TW2R58300)

Post by Wolfsatz »

One word to describe this watch. GEMlicous! Yes, I just made a word. This little watch is punches way above its weight class and brings so much joy to my wrist that sometimes, standard words cannot describe. It is a gem, because it brings function and style in such an elevated way. The simple three hander is so legible for such a small face; while the acrylic dome crystal brings such beauty to the piece that I can’t get enough of it. It is a collector’s item piece, as most campers are made of resin and these are occasionally made by Timex.

ImageTX Mk1 Camper by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

I need to come up and say that this is the only watch at 36mm that I enjoy wearing; not only I enjoy it much, it puts a big smile on my face and from a big rotation of watches, this one right now keeps getting my wrist attention. My sweet spot are watches from 40 to 45mm as I have a 7 ¾ in wrist (197mm). So this is quite an oddity in my collection. Let me explain why.

ImageMk1 36mm Camper by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

I love field watches! And Timex is synonymous with field watches. Timex knows how to make very good ones too. Timex also creates, from time to time, genuine marvels that usually fly under radar because let’s be honest; it is a Timex and when I first saw this piece online, I was a skeptical too! More than anything due to the size. After salivating for weeks on end, I finally decided to add this to the ever growing collection of Timex watches. It was love at first sight!

Let’s go over the basics and specs. 36mm, solid polished stainless steel case with fixed lugs, a beautiful acrylic dome crystal, easy to maneuver crown, a classic field watch dial with standard and miitary time digits as well as triangular lumed markers that compliments and brings the dial together. The case is paired with a very subpar nylon single pass Nato which is very thin, however the clasp is signed which is always a nice touch to have. The case is only 10mm tall. Acrylic crystal is crafted very nicely, and gives you the ability to be able to buff out any scratches rather easily. It also adds that vintage flavor to the watch.

A bit of history on the watch “The Timex Archive project combines several decades of standout watch design with the modern know-how we’ve acquired along the way, a true expression of the values we’ve upheld since the beginning. Part of the MK1 collection, the MK1 36mm SST model is a re-release of the first Camper model from the 80’s. A “civilian” version of the watch adopted by the US Army for its convenience and functionality”

This is a superior watch tribute to the original watch supposedly used by the US Army around 1982 and made famous by MacGyver (tv series). I’ve had plastic campers and I was totally unimpressed. This is not such watch. This is a serious watch built with purposw, style and roughness! The stainless steel case is beautifully crafted, polished and feels very solid; and if you are worried about a loud timex; this is not it. This camper would qualify for submarine silent service with flying colours. I can only hear it if I place it right next to my ear.

On a rating scale, I would give this watch a very solid 4.5 out of 5. Missing the .5 for the lack of Indiglo, which in my own opinion, it should have it. Yes, the watch has lumed hands and markers, but Timex lume is not its forte. It only lasts for a few minutes before is useless. Also, as it is with the majority of Timex watches; the strap is total claptrap. It does the job of holding the watch in your wrist; but falls short in the same level of craftsmanship that the rest of watch has. So, as it is customary to my ritual, the strap is the first thing to go. Currently being worn by a better Timex strap on military green from another Archive watch. If the watch would’ve have Indiglo and a better strap, it would be a solid 5 in my book.

Providing some shots with my son’s 6 inch wrist and some with my own wrist at 7 3/4s. At the time of this writing, this watch has been discontinued from Timex (not being sold directly by Timex), but can be bound via multiple gray market sellers at a great discount. Makes for a great gift or definitely a great addition to the serious collector.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Case: Stainless Steel with brush finish and fixed lugs.

Strap: 18mm singles pass NATO (nylon) can easily fit a thin 20mm strap.

Lume Hands and hour indices.

Dimensions / weight: 36 x 42 x 10 mm / 30 grams (case only)

Movement: Unk (Japanese Quartz Movement)

Accuracy: +/- 10 seconds per month.

Battery life: ~2 to 3 years.

Water resistance: 30 meters.

Functions: Civilian and Military Time

RATINGS (out of five stars):

Design * * * * *

Iconic classic field watch three hand design with no date.

Legibility * * * *

White baton style hands on black dial is super easy to read even at a distance. Lume could be improved.

Comfort * * * * *

Super easy to wear; fits well under shirt as it is not very tall.

Overall * * * *

Lack of Indiglo and very subpar strap robs one star away. Other than that, this watch has an excellent ratio of value to wrist joy, which is very high. If you can pick one up, don’t pass up the opportunity.

:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Timex Mk1 36mm Camper (TW2R58300)

Post by Split-Time »

That is a cool little watch and I probably should look at picking one up. Great write up and review. I was surprised to find that it does not have indiglo...but thanks to your review, now I know!
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: Timex Mk1 36mm Camper (TW2R58300)

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for the review! And a classic fit. ;)