We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Traveling Watch: Kuoe Royal Smith 90-006

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Sussa
MoT Member

Traveling Watch: Kuoe Royal Smith 90-006

Post by Sussa »

@TheJohnP has already written a thorough review of the Kuoe Royal Smith here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4295, but he was generous enough to pass the watch around to people who expressed interest on Discord and I thought it would be fun to share our thoughts.

First impressions: I was initially surprised by the screw-down crown – not something you expect on a dressier watch – but a nice touch for added water resistance. Unfortunately, they are removing that feature in future releases. The case is thin, lightweight, and nicely refined for its price. I’m not normally one to pay much attention to crystal material, but the mineral crystal felt off here. Maybe it was the distortion that bothered me, and I would have been happier with a lower profile crystal, but that would also change the overall look perhaps not for the better. What really sets this watch apart is the dial. The paper texture is low-key elegance and adds a touch of class to an already well-finished watch.
texture.jpg
Wearability: I have a wide, flat 6.25” wrist and the Royal Smith fits perfectly. It practically disappeared on my wrist. The provided Italian leather strap was soft and complements the watch nicely. I tried it on a black shell cordovan for a dressier feel, but it really shines on perlon.
cordovan.jpg
perlon.jpg
Would I buy it? The gold-tone Breguet indices are not my style, so no. However, if someone were looking for this style I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it and the experience has heightened my interest in the Kuoe Old Smith.

The Royal Smith’s next stop is @Miggyd87.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Traveling Watch: Kuoe Royal Smith 90-006

Post by TheJohnP »

Silver numerals would've been a nice option.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Re: Traveling Watch: Kuoe Royal Smith 90-006

Post by Miggyd87 »

I spent the last week in February with the Kuoe Royal Smith on my wrist.
IMG_20230221_1553067882.jpg
It arrived on the tan/camel color leather strap, and I immediately took the above photo to let the Discord crew know of it's arrival. I was immediately struck by the light play on the hands and numerals.
IMG_20230222_0732490144.jpg
The watch's style and dimensions come from an era before my time on Earth. It's small, thin and classically styled. I'm in love!
IMG_20230224_084916376_HDR2.jpg
The finishing, while completely polished, looks fantastic. No waves to be seen. The hands float over the subtle paper patterned dial. It's a dream.
IMG_20230227_0756064242.jpg
If you're reading this, and have interest in vintage watches but are not yet ready to take the plunge. The Royal Smith should be at the top of your list of watches to look at. The appearance and proportions are of a watch from the 1950s but the movement and build quality are straight out of 2023. It's a fantastic time piece and I am highly considering making a Kuoe my next purchase.

The only question now is; which one?

Thanks to @TheJohnP for sharing this Kuoe with the Discord group.