We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Review: Vario Vintage Italian Leather Strap

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Review: Vario Vintage Italian Leather Strap

Post by TheJohnP »

*Full Disclosure* - Ivan from Vario invited me to review a few of his products. He let me choose which ones and allowed me to keep them. This is the second review.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW:

The full grain leather from Provincia di Vicenza, Italy has been treated to make it stain and water resistant.
Soft and supple straight out of the box, it does not require a "break in period" and creates a distinctive vintage looking watch strap that conforms to your wrist for a perfect fit.
Quick release spring bars allow for extremely fast and easy installment without the need for tools.

SPECIFICS:

Vario Vintage Italian Leather (Forest Green)
- Cost is $42
- Provincia di Vicenza full-grain leather with leather backing.
- Available in 20mm only for green, other colors are offered in sizes of 18mm, 19mm, 20mm, 22mm.
- Stainless steel buckle available in polished silver, polished gold, polished rose gold, or matte black.
- Strap lengths measuring approx 4.5"/115mm long portion, 2.9"/75mm short portion and 3mm thick.
- Strap tapers from 20mm to 16mm on long portion, 20mm to 18mm on the short portion.
- Buckle is 17mm long and 19mm wide.
- Comes with quick release spring bars.

https://vario.sg/collections/vintage-it ... ck-release

BACKGROUND:

Similar to my reasoning behind the Vario Herringbone Tweed strap, I didn't want to play it safe with my choice. With ten colorways to pick from, I didn't want a color you could find for sale everywhere, so that meant no black, brown, blue, tan, or grey. That left three to choose from - red, orange, or green. Since I had a green dialed Orient and the gold dialed Ball, that seemed the best option to try out.

To test versatility, I wore the strap a week straight on various watches with different colored dials. A couple that were more complimentary, a couple of neutral, and a couple that you wouldn't think to pair.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Again, I placed the order with Vario and the packaged arrived to me from Singapore within 10 days.
The items were well packed. And the strap came in a plastic sleeve with a pocket for each part of the strap.

I thought the color in real life had a hint of blue/teal than a true forest green, but it is a subtle. Especially when you get it in natural light.

The backing leather, felt similar to the Harris Tweed strap. It was stamped Vario on one end and Genuine Italian Leather on the other.

At 3mm, the leather is thick, but not overly so. A good balance of substance and flexibiity.

The two keepers were of same material and color matched to the strap. The buckle is signed with the Vario wordmark.

VERSATILITY TEST

The first two watches I tried this strap on were more complimentary, with the gold dial Ball Trainmaster Legend and green dial Orient Tri-Star.
Conclusion - Both were winners in my opinion. I really liked the combination with the Ball, but think it'll stay on the Orient moving forward.

Then I tried them on a couple of watches with neutral dials, the grey dial Minuteman A11 Field Watch and the black dial NTH Antilles.
Conclusion - Both worked well, not superb. Although if the colors matched a sports team you like, it could be a better option for you.

Finally thought I'd see how this strap would work with something completely different, the burgundy dial Orion Sylph and the blue dial Codek Spiral.
Conclusion - I was really surprised how much I liked how these worked together. The Codek looked great with a blue and green combo and the Orion on this green strap makes for a great Christmas pairing.

SUMMARY:

As described, the strap didn't need to be broken in and was comfortable and pliant from the get go.
Having quick release springbars made it extremely easy to swap out with all the watches I tested it on during the review period.

I also think this is a well made strap and feels like quality leather. Not sure if the grain pattern is supposed to mimic a more exotic skin, but it wasn't distracting by any means.
My only complaint would be that depending on the watch I was wearing, the hole positioning made the strap either just too loose or just too tight.

As with the Harris Tweed strap, I was impressed with how quickly it arrived to me from overseas. I liked how it was packaged to minimize damage en route.

Now with a second experience with Vario, I feel they do make some quality straps. Now more curious to see what they can do with watches.

WOULD I BUY THIS?

But the question is, would I buy this strap for the asking price of $42.

NO*

Even though I really like how well it is made and how well it paired with all the watches I tried.
$42 seems just a bit too much for me to comfortably spend on a leather strap. Even though I picked the more obscure color.

HOWEVER, right now (through May 31st) Vario has a Spring Sale.

1 Strap - 8% OFF (Use VARIO8 during check out)
2 Straps - 15% OFF
3 Straps - 20% OFF
4 Straps - 25% OFF

What's more, if you buy 2 straps you will get a felt watch pouch FREE* and if you buy 3 you will get a felt watch roll FREE.

* - Caveat, that with those discounts above, I would put my own $ down for the Vintage Italian Leather Strap.

Thanks again to Ivan at Vario for allowing me a chance to review this strap!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Review: Vario Vintage Italian Leather Strap

Post by watchpalooza »

Great review! From the underside the craftsmanship looks good. But in the photos it looks like the stitching holes have burrs or are uncleanly cut on the top side,and there are two small gouges / tool marks showing just under where the spring pins are. Are these really there and are they noticeable without a macro lens?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for the review! I like that green color a lot. The leather seems to be of good quality. Too bad off-the-shelf straps are usually too long for me so I have to get mine custom made.... so in a way, $42 is not bad from my perspective because I always have to pay more for what I need....
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

watchpalooza wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:39 am Great review! From the underside the craftsmanship looks good. But in the photos it looks like the stitching holes have burrs or are uncleanly cut on the top side,and there are two small gouges / tool marks showing just under where the spring pins are. Are these really there and are they noticeable without a macro lens?
I can't say I found anything noticeable.
But macro does tend to show more than anticipated.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find