We're Moving!

Click for more info.

UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chinese Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chinese Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Post by TheJohnP »

After [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] ordered his Pierre Paulin Mechanical Chrono, I used the same code to purchase a Red Star Retro Mechanical watch from Merkur for $59. Or more specifically, the Red Army First Chines Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch. I placed the order last Tuesday and FedEx dropped off the box this morning.

This unboxing was also first shared on the MoT Discord #watch-talk channel.

Link to the watch from Merkur:
https://www.merkurwatch.com/Red-Army-Fi ... 45879.html

Shipped in a plain cardboard box in a FedEx mailer:

Inside the item was wrapped in bubblewrap and securely sealed:

From there we have a kind of hard plastic case:

More bubblewrap protecting the watch:

No warranty card, but a general contact card for Merkur and a way to make $ by posting about the watch on WUS:

Here's the watch...finally:

Nice convex dial and applied indices:

Obligatory wrist shot:

The expansion bracelet didn't feel cheap, but it was too big and an expansion bracelet, so it had to go:

Caseback and movement pic:

So for now, I've got it on a leather strap that I had picked up for my Ball. Good match in my opinion:

Overall impressions:
The good:
- Great price at $59 with discount code and quick FedEx shipping from Beijing
- Well packed and protected
- Nice weight to the watch head
- Aesthetics of the 1963 chrono, but a three hander
- Thick, domed mineral crystal

The not so great:
- Large expansion bracelet
- Small crown and difficult to wind
- Non-hacking movement
- Mineral crystal instead of an acrylic or sapphire
- No lume
- A tad too much space between dial and inside bezel.

Worth it?

YUP.
Worth it for $109. Even more worth it for $59.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Re: UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chines Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Post by Landed_Alien »

Just an FYI for those considering, I was about to break last night and order this but they're now charging an additional $20 for the fedex delivery (only shipping option to the US). The "watchmaniac" coupon still works, so the watch is still only $59, but $79 to get it in your hands.
I know, it's only $20 and that's fair for quick international shipping considering the watch is only $59, but it's caused me to pause again.
bobusa
MoT Member

Re: UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chines Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Post by bobusa »

Landed_Alien wrote:Just an FYI for those considering, I was about to break last night and order this but they're now charging an additional $20 for the fedex delivery (only shipping option to the US). The "watchmaniac" coupon still works, so the watch is still only $59, but $79 to get it in your hands.
I know, it's only $20 and that's fair for quick international shipping considering the watch is only $59, but it's caused me to pause again.
I just ordered and there was $10 China post option as well. I don’t know how long that is going is to take, but I don’t need that watch immediately so I went with $10 option. There was $3.20 insurance as well. So total was $83.20 out of door
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

bobusa wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:43 pm
Landed_Alien wrote:Just an FYI for those considering, I was about to break last night and order this but they're now charging an additional $20 for the fedex delivery (only shipping option to the US). The "watchmaniac" coupon still works, so the watch is still only $59, but $79 to get it in your hands.
I just ordered and there was $10 China post option as well. I don’t know how long that is going is to take, but I don’t need that watch immediately so I went with $10 option. There was $3.20 insurance as well. So total was $83.20 out of door
Interesting to hear your experience with the China post option.
Let us know how long that takes to get to you for comparison.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
bobusa
MoT Member

Re: UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chinese Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Post by bobusa »

TheJohnP wrote:
Will do John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Re: UNBOXING: Merkur - Red Army First Chinese Watch Homage Handwind Mechanical Retro Dress Watch

Post by Landed_Alien »

bobusa wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:26 pm
TheJohnP wrote:
Will do John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just wondering if your watch landed [mention]bobusa[/mention]? That'll be about 6 weeks. How are you finding it?