We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Quick Look: FANOS Osimiri

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
MoT
Site Admin

Quick Look: FANOS Osimiri

Post by MoT »

FANOS [fæˈnuːs]

A term of Greek and Egyptian origins which translates into lantern; a guiding light.

FANOS Watches is a brother and sister team based in Quebec, Canada with the ambitious goal of self-designing and producing a dive watch with serious chops for an impressive price.

FANOS agreed to send me a review unit so I could get a feel for Osimiri. For full disclosure, this was planned to be a full review, but at the last minute, the review unit was returned to FANOS damaged. Because of careless negligence by an "influencer", both the ETA 2824-2 movement and the screw-down crown have been rendered inoperable. This ends up causing grief and financial loss for the creators that put so much heart and soul into these projects, along with affecting reviews down the line.

That being said, I agreed to give Osimiri a quick look as I can still comment on the overall construction quality and details, which are honestly really, really good.

Osimiri is constructed entirely of Grade 2, 900HV Hardened Titanium and has a 50ATM (500 meters) water resistance rating. Titanium is a lightweight, yet ultra-strong material that is perfect for use in tool watches. Osimiri also has that silky smooth tactile feel unique to titanium, and being Grade 2 it has scratch-resistant properties. All-in-all, Osimiri felt really nice in the hand, and on the wrist is really light; It's lighter than my Rado Captain Cook while being larger.

The bracelet is the same titanium material, articulates well, and is comfortable. The clasp was a personal let-down (a very minor one, if I am honest) as it is stamped but I am happy to report that the production versions of Osimiri will have a milled clasp. That definitely adds to the cachet of being a tough tool watch.

Rounding out the case is a screw-down crown surrounded by almost, dare I say, voluptuous crown guards. The FANOS logo is engraved (and lumed!) onto the crown as well. On the opposite side of the case, you'll find a helium escape valve; a nice thing to have if or when the owner explores the depths with Osimiri.

The bezel is a ubiquitous 120 click unidirectional unit with a nice, smooth ceramic insert with quite legible markings. Osimiri's crystal is domed sapphire with three layers of anti-reflective coating. Lying beneath that crystal is a matte black (matte blue is also available) dial with bold applied indices that are inset to the chapter ring. A nice touch.

Both the dial markers and bezel markers are coated in Swiss BGW9 Superluminova lume, and FANOS has informed me that the production model will have a more even, brighter application. The lume on this review sample looks good to me, judge for yourself.

FANOS also sent the available rubber strap. It has anti-dust properties and is nicely molded and fitted to the case. It's quite comfortable as well, and is long enough for my above-average-sized wrists. It's secured by a signed buckle, also made from titanium.

To sum up, I think FANOS has put together a really good package. Given the specifications, the idea that something like this can be had for ~$500 USD is mind-boggling. Add the fact that this was created by a two-person team and it's their first watch, well, I guess you just might have something special.

I'm pleased to mention that the Kickstarter for Osimiri has reached its goal. Hopefully, they'll be able to get to some of their stretch goals as well!

Visit the Kickstarter here: https://bit.ly/3whaG0U
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
FANOS Watches

Re: Quick Look: FANOS Osimiri

Post by FANOS Watches »

Thanks for taking the time to look at our watch Matt!

We're glad you like it and those are some very nice snaps you took there. The contrast with the yellow is particular sweet!
Just want to highlight for everyone that you have been a complete gentleman throughout the whole process (and got a fine taste in divers).

If anyone has any questions for us, feel free to reach out and/or checkout our Kickstarter!

Thanks again :)
Caesar from FANOS Watches
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FANOS Watches wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm Thanks for taking the time to look at our watch Matt!

We're glad you like it and those are some very nice snaps you took there. The contrast with the yellow is particular sweet!
Just want to highlight for everyone that you have been a complete gentleman throughout the whole process (and got a fine taste in divers).

If anyone has any questions for us, feel free to reach out and/or checkout our Kickstarter!

Thanks again :)

Thank you for allowing me to take a look, and I wish nothing but the best for you, your sister, and FANOS.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Thanks for this - very glad this got funded. Anyone else here a backer?

Re. Influencer damage, how frustrating, especially when it impacts subsequent reviews. I don't know enough about the practice, but is there any accountability for damage caused whilst the watch is in their possession? Or any cost-effective way to insure against that damage when an item is being shipped between multiple parties for review?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FANOS Watches

Post by FANOS Watches »

Thanks baldrick,

It definitely was frustrating. The main issue was that the caseback was opened (presumably to check the movement) and not closed properly. This allowed for moisture to leak during shots where the watch was in contact with water, which in turn damaged the movement (what our watchmaker brought up).

We don’t believe it was done out of bad intent but for the future, we now know to add this to our list of “please do nots”; live and learn :)

Thankfully Matt was understanding.

baldrick wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 am Thanks for this - very glad this got funded. Anyone else here a backer?

Re. Influencer damage, how frustrating, especially when it impacts subsequent reviews. I don't know enough about the practice, but is there any accountability for damage caused whilst the watch is in their possession? Or any cost-effective way to insure against that damage when an item is being shipped between multiple parties for review?

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Looks like the KS back the project links are dead. Hopefully not too late to get in on this!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

watchpalooza wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:30 pm Looks like the KS back the project links are dead. Hopefully not too late to get in on this!
Four days to go!

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:40 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:30 pm Looks like the KS back the project links are dead. Hopefully not too late to get in on this!
Four days to go!

Thank you...for some reason the links from the Fanos website did not work, but this one does. Only 1 earlybird left now!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

watchpalooza wrote:
Four days to go!

Thank you...for some reason the links from the Fanos website did not work, but this one does. Only 1 earlybird left now!
You thinking blue or black?

I really like the blue, but the starkness of the black is what initially appealed so I think I'll stick with that...

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

baldrick wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:42 am
watchpalooza wrote:

Four days to go!

I really like the blue, but the starkness of the black is what initially appealed so I think I'll stick with that...

I feel the same.
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote:

Four days to go!

Matte blue for me.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:27 pm
watchpalooza wrote:

Matte blue for me.
I‘d like to see some better pictures, actual not renders before making a final decision.
Click Icon To Contact Me

FANOS Watches

Post by FANOS Watches »

Hey guys,

Weird that the link was not working on our website, is it working now?

I wish we had a prototype in blue [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] , but the decision to offer the colour was made shortly before the KS launch, after we received feedback. If its of any help, the specific shade is Pantone PMS 289.

We're releasing an update near the end of day tomorrow. Will be slightly tweaking the design by extending the second hand to the minute marker and offering backers the option to remove the Swiss Movt on the chapter ring for a more "sterile" look!

3 days to go, almost there :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

FANOS Watches wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:06 pm Hey guys,

I wish we had a prototype in blue @watchpalooza , but the decision to offer the colour was made shortly before the KS launch, after we received feedback. If its of any help, the specific shade is Pantone PMS 289.

We're releasing an update near the end of day tomorrow. Will be slightly tweaking the design by extending the second hand to the minute marker and offering backers the option to remove the Swiss Movt on the chapter ring for a more "sterile" look!

Congratulations, great to be 115% funded with 3 days to go. Both the changes you mention above make me even happier to be a backer. I am familiar with 289 - great choice. I may have to flip a coin....or buy two. ;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

FANOS Watches

Post by FANOS Watches »

Thanks @watchpalooza, having some resistance near the end of the campaign but seems like we will be making it thankfully.
My personal suggestion, the blue might be the way to go if you have a few black divers already :)
watchpalooza wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:23 pm
FANOS Watches wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:06 pm Hey guys,

I wish we had a prototype in blue @watchpalooza , but the decision to offer the colour was made shortly before the KS launch, after we received feedback. If its of any help, the specific shade is Pantone PMS 289.

Congratulations, great to be 115% funded with 3 days to go. Both the changes you mention above make me even happier to be a backer. I am familiar with 289 - great choice. I may have to flip a coin....or buy two. ;)