We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Review: Alcadus Watches - Dromo, 200m Vintage Inspired Diver

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Review: Alcadus Watches - Dromo, 200m Vintage Inspired Diver

Post by TheJohnP »

BACKGROUND:

Here's the deal...I don't like dive watches. Never have. Still don't. I find them aesthetically unpleasing. I think the rotating countdown bezel is superfluous, I mean what are you using to actually time something with it? The minute hand. Just use the minute hand, you don't need anything more. And here's where I know I'm going to come across as crass, but the whole "tool watch" thing is just a way to make it more palatable for some men to convince themselves they're not wearing jewelry. Hate to break it to you, a watch is jewelry. Functional jewelry, but it's still jewelry. On the other hand, dive watches are the single most popular style sold. So what do I really know?

So why on Earth am I reviewing a dive watch? Good question. I saw the new Opus v2 by Alcadus and wanted to see about reviewing it for the site. Well Alcadus agreed, but as the Opus was traveling in a pair with the Dromo dive watch, it meant the review was a package deal. So here we are.

You can read the Opus v2 review here - https://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3128

INTRODUCTION:

Alcadus is based out of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. They were founded with a simple vision: design carefully crafted watches that are unique, elegant and understated. In 2019, Alcadus launched the Opus 39 and now they're following up with the two new models - the Dromo and the updated Opus v2. They are both currently available on Kickstarter.

I was sent a prototype of the Dromo in Blue Sunray to review with two additional leather straps.
To get a full sense of the watch, I wore it for about 1/2 a week and swapped it out onto some of my own straps to test out versatility.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW:

Inspired by the skin divers of the 50’s, the Dromo is designed to be a slim and compact dive watch. Premium Miyota 9039 automatic movement. Box sapphire crystal and lumed sapphire bezel insert and stainless steel bezel insert.

SPECIFICS:

Alcadus Dromo Blue Sunray on Bracelet

- Cost: currently around $320 on Kickstarter, full retail will be $449
- Movement: Miyota 9039
- Diameter: 39mm
- Lug to lug: 46mm
- Lug width: 20mm
- Thickness: 14mm
- Case: 316L Stainless Steel
- Bezel: Sapphire bezel insert
- Crown: 6mm, screw-down crown with lume
- Dial: Metallic blue sunray dial, with brushed silver steel hands and applied indices.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova® on dial, hands and crown
- Crystal: Box sapphire with 5 layers of clear AR coating
- Bracelet: 316L stainless steel flat link bracelet. Tapers from 20mm to 16mm.
- Strap: Italian leather in nubuck or grained. 3mm thick.
- Weight: 131g
- Water Resistance: 200m

Changes that are planned for production watches from the prototypes:
- Drilled lug holes
- Water Resistance will be 200m (instead of the 300m printing on the dial and caseback)
- Watch thickness will be reduced from 13.5mm to 12.7mm
- Watch crystal will be improved to reduce distortion (less curvature on the edges)
- The texture of the bezel will be improved for better grip
- The lume on the bezel will be improved
- The bracelet clasp will be changed to a solid milled clasp with push release buttons and perlage finished (It will be the same clasp as the previous Opus 39).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The Dromo and Opus v2 arrived in a long presentation box. The watches were wrapped in bubble wrap and there were two additional leather straps that are currently an add on in the Kickstarter campaign for around $29 each.

To me, all dive watches look basically the same. It looks like a dive watch. The only thing that caught my eye and interest was the sapphire bezel insert. First time handling a watch with one, so the light play depending on the angle was interesting. Otherwise, not doing much for me. Though it is a lovely shade of blue, I'll give it that.

FURTHER IMPRESSIONS:

The Dromo does share a lot with the Opus v2, but there are differences, obvious and otherwise. Of course there's the rotating bezel. But the Dromo has applied indices, an angled rehaut/chapter ring, and polished chamfered edges on the lugs, which breaks up what could be a boring brushed slab.

Let's talk about the crystal next. Alcadus went with a serious boxed sapphire crystal. Definitely provides a vintage vibe, but boxed sapphire is very different from acrylic. The distortion along the edges was very noticeable. Something that they likely have gotten feedback about, as they plan to address for the production models with less distortion.

The crown on the Dromo seemed like a pseudo onion style. It's a very slight flare out, but is visible, and probably more so since the Dromo doesn't have crown guards. Screws down to add the overall water resistance. No issues screwing/unscrewing when adjusting the time.

The lugs bending down, along with the short lug to lug, help the Dromo wear well on the wrist. Granted the bezel and tall boxed sapphire did add weight to make the Dromo a little top heavy.

The hands are brushed steel with a yellow tip on the seconds hand. They come across to me to be of proper proportions. And the semi-sword style does seem to fit well with the vintage inspired aesthetic. One thing I was impressed to discover was how their custom seconds hand aligned with their chevron "A" logo at the 12.

The dial has a sunburst, but not overly so. It is mostly present in strong light, otherwise the entire dial will get darker or lighter depending on the angle. Restrained text on the dial. And the "auto" and "matic" on either side of the indice at 6 was a nice touch. And since this is a prototype, ignore the 300m on the dial, as the planned water resistance will be 200m.

The caseback features an engraving of a ship. Quite possibly a Viking longship. Also engraved that it's a prototype, so imagine the production version will have a slightly different spec sheet.

The bracelet is an oyster style flat link. The links act as facets and capture the light as it wraps around the wrist. A positive for many, is the bracelet uses female endlinks. A negative for me is the bracelet uses screws. I don't know when it became a sign of "quality" for a bracelet to have screws, but that appears to be the consensus. Even though friction pins are a better system, by being more cost effective, and less prone to failure. /rant.

Since this is a prototype with a placeholder pressed clasp, I'm not going to comment or judge the watch on that aspect.

One more dig however, I don't think the Dromo looks good on this bracelet. I understand producing a single bracelet for both the Dromo and Opus v2 to cut down on overall costs. But for a vintage inspired pieces, a beads of rice bracelet would've paired better.

Thankfully, Alcadus provided a couple of the leather straps they produce to try out. 3mm thick Italian leather in either a brown grain or brown nubuck. Each strap featured quick release springbars, so made it easy to swap between the two. I am personally a big fan of the nubuck as very supple from the get go with no need to break in.

My only knock on the straps is the Alcadus engraving is really large on the buckle. Think they need to reduce that by 30-40% or just use an "A" on the buckle. Too much with the current size of their wordmark.

Lume was mostly very impressive. They are using two kinds of lume on the indices and hands. The lume was super bright and lasted a good while. The lume on the crown was crazy bright too, and I believe a different color as well. The only area lacking was the on the bezel. At first I thought it wasn't lumed, but it showed up only when hitting it with a UV light and taking a quick pic. No staying power there. But according to Alcadus, they'll be addressing the bezel lume on the production versions.

Since I had both the Dromo and Opus v2 for a week, I didn't feel it made sense to test accuracy. Especially with the Dromo having a Miyota 9039. Great movement, especially for the price. And probably because of the Miyota, they'll be able to shave some of the overall thickness for the case.

I should mention the bezel. But since I don't like them, I don't have a lot to say. It seemed a bit stiff. But they're supposed to work on the knurling to improve grip. That may help. You'll have to read other reviews on whether the "bezel action" is up to snuff. I have no clue.

VERSATILITY TEST

Since Alcadus provided additional straps, I felt comfortable trying the Dromo out on a number of different straps. One was a green Italian leather strap by Vario that looked similar to the one provided by Alcadus. A burgundy frog leather by WatchGecko that I tend to pair with everything. A Vario Harris Tweed. A Mushi tan waxed canvas. Some random single pass NATO. And of course, the Forstner. Dromo seemed to look good on everything I tried. Though the Harris Tweed was my least favorite combo.

SUMMARY:

I can say I finally got a chance to really spend some time with a dive watch, as I really wouldn't ever buy one for myself.
I think fans of divers should look at the Dromo to add to their collection. I think Alcadus is providing a lot for what they're charging, especially at the current Kickstarter prices. Heck, even at the eventual retail price of $449, I think you're getting value for the money spent.

PRO:
- Lovely shade of blue.
- First time experiencing a sapphire bezel insert and I found it interesting.
- Overall size was great for me and wore well.
- Boxed sapphire was wild and I actually enjoyed the distortion effects.
- Not a big fan of lume, but even I was impressed.
- Liked how the second hand and indice at 12 came together. Very well thought out.
- No date = bonus points.

CON:
- It's a dive watch.
- The lume on the bezel could be a lot better.
- Also a little top heavy depending on the strap.
- Don't think the watch looks good on the provided bracelet.
- Otherwise, hard to find too many things to complain about, as many issues will be addressed from the prototype to production stage.

WOULD I BUY THIS?

No

It's a dive watch.
I don't like them.
Not for me.

But I do thank Alcadus for letting me borrow one for a bit.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Review: Alcadus Watches - Dromo, 200m Vintage Inspired Diver

Post by MoT »

It was fun reading about a dive watch from someone who totally detests them. Thank you for this thoroughly subjective review. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the Opus V2 coverage.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
kl884347
MoT Member

Post by kl884347 »

Nice review! I appreciate you taking time to live with it a while too to see how it grows (or does not grow) as time goes by.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Great review!
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

Nice review. I have similar feelings about dive watches even though I have some (e.g., Damasko DA47). I would argue that the watch reviewed here appears to be sufficiently different so that it stands out from your typical dive watch. I could see myself wearing this. As opposed to say a Seiko dive watch.
CDR_E
MoT Member

Post by CDR_E »

Very comprehensive. Thank you!!