We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndyS
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch, did you get tags on your watch from Tilly's? I also didn't get the foam, but they didn't send the tag, either.

BTW, looks like they're back in stock there if anybody else wants a watch with bad shipping :)
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote:PetWatch, did you get tags on your watch from Tilly's? I also didn't get the foam, but they didn't send the tag, either.

BTW, looks like they're back in stock there if anybody else wants a watch with bad shipping :)
Checked again, no. Got correct manual, warranty card and this cut out instead of foam insert. Strange about tags, that's usually included.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Weird. I was thinking about a reorder to see if I could get the tags then return the ones without locally in store. Would be nice to have if I don't hold onto this model and sell it.

I haven't gotten a Gshock with this little cardboard stand before, including my GA2110s.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Can't remember if I posted this in our discussion of dying the clear bands, but this is why I ordered the cheap clear one from AliExpress:

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:43 pm Can't remember if I posted this in our discussion of dying the clear bands, but this is why I ordered the cheap clear one from AliExpress:

I may make this my first mod project, looks simple enough. Questions is will it fade or wear off? I'll only try it if its permanent. You mentioned Rit dye in a prior post, is that the best dye to use for resin? The guy on the video used Dylon dye, results looked great but didn't say anything about its lasting qualities.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Rit is just easier to find. My understanding is that it is permanent, but that's why I ordered a $10 set from Ali Express.

I bought the synthetic version of Rit black tonight at a Joann's. Not sure if that or the regular style is better. I think for synthetics, the heat helps the dye absorb.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

The Mini arrived.

Packaging, tags, manual, warranty card.

Noticeable, but not a large difference in size, more like a Giant Mini. Mini Giant? Will surely make a difference on smaller wrists.

BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

PetWatch wrote:The Mini arrived.

Packaging, tags, manual, warranty card.

Noticeable, but not a large difference in size, more like a Giant Mini. Mini Giant? Will surely make a difference on smaller wrists.

K now I'm getting one

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Is the band a similar length?
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote:Is the band a similar length?
It's about a quarter inch shorter on each side at most.

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Well that happened quickly.

Used Rit Black for synthetics. Heated water to 200F on the stove and poured in dye until the water was black. Dropped in the band parts (minus buckle). Stirred them around for 2-3 minutes then removed and dipped and rinsed in clean water. Color was much darker than my goal.

The stuff I read and watched online for this type of Rit suggested about a 5 minute timing on the dye. It's obviously much faster.

There is some opacity left, but its pretty dark. Doesn't look bad, just not what I wanted. Will likely try again as soon as I can get another set.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I guess you have to experiment with length of time it sits in solution. Keep pulling it up with tweezers like the guy in the video until you get the tint you want and quickly remove all pieces. At least it doesn't ruin it. Now you can test it for durability.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 pm I guess you have to experiment with length of time it sits in solution. Keep pulling it up with tweezers like the guy in the video until you get the tint you want and quickly remove all pieces. At least it doesn't ruin it. Now you can test it for durability.
I used stainless tongs. It's just hard to tell how dark it got until you completely rinse it. I assume different dyes act differently, so it's all experimenting. Now I have a spare dark set. I could probably dye it a bit more and it will be just like a solid, shiny black.

I'm thinking about running it through the dishwasher to see what happens (not on the watch). Still has a touch of dye smell anyway so that might be a cool test.

I think I'll order one in the opaque as well as clear next time. Maybe try one for a DW5600.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Should have watch this guy's video on dying with the synthetic style. Also will not use as much dye next time.

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:37 pm
AndyS wrote:PetWatch, did you get tags on your watch from Tilly's? I also didn't get the foam, but they didn't send the tag, either.

Checked again, no. Got correct manual, warranty card and this cut out instead of foam insert. Strange about tags, that's usually included.

I ordered a couple of these for at that $67 price from Amazon/Zappos, along with a blue one. None had tags and none had foam in the middle of the watch or a bag on the watch. Just the foam around the edge of the tin with the little round piece of thin foam in the lid.

Wonder if Casio is just changing it up to save money.