We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndyS
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by AndyS »

OOS now.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Upcoming, unknown release date, my guess before Memorial Day. DW5600BUD20 LE for $200, that's a lot of Bud.

"This model has a stainless steel band keeper engraved with Anheuser Busch’s Eagle emblem, which is also on the case back. The Budweiser bowtie logo appears when the EL backlight is activated. The watch comes in exclusive packaging, including a replica 25 ounce tall can and a box that resembles a case of Budweiser beer."

Bowtie logo EL backlight, cool! Replica tall can and case, not cool! For that price the least they could have done is give you the real deal. Not that I'm a Bud fan, but I've had my fair share back in the day, and they've done some of the coolest ads throughout the years. It looks rather retro in a way and Budweiser's KIng of Beers hype best days are in the past in my opinion, however, quick Google search says it' the most valuable beer brand in the world and Bud LIght (next if successful?) is the best selling US beer.

All in all something Bud and beer fans can relate to and appreciate, G-Shock fans? One thing is for certain, Casio is testing the profit limits with some whiz marketing, and this is not the only over priced model in my opinion, the NASA21 being another for $50 less, but that's for the fans to decide.

I'm not sure if this will be a hot G-Shock fans model, so I'm on the fence right now, but I do think it will be successful. There are many G-Shock fans that just have to have something like this in their collection, this pushes many buttons, and then there are the legions of beer drinking enthusiasts.

What do you think?

More info:
https://www.g-central.com/budweiser-x-g ... rs-collab/

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

PetWatch wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:31 pm Upcoming, unknown release date, my guess before Memorial Day. DW5600BUD20 LE for $200, that's a lot of Bud.

"This model has a stainless steel band keeper engraved with Anheuser Busch’s Eagle emblem, which is also on the case back. The Budweiser bowtie logo appears when the EL backlight is activated. The watch comes in exclusive packaging, including a replica 25 ounce tall can and a box that resembles a case of Budweiser beer."

Bowtie logo EL backlight, cool! Replica tall can and case, not cool! For that price the least they could have done is give you the real deal. Not that I'm a Bud fan, but I've had my fair share back in the day, and they've done some of the coolest ads throughout the years. It looks rather retro in a way and Budweiser's KIng of Beers hype best days are in the past in my opinion, however, quick Google search says it' the most valuable beer brand in the world and Bud LIght (next if successful?) is the best selling US beer.

All in all something Bud and beer fans can relate to and appreciate, G-Shock fans? One thing is for certain, Casio is testing the profit limits with some whiz marketing, and this is not the only over priced model in my opinion, the NASA21 being another for $50 less, but that's for the fans to decide.

I'm not sure if this will be a hot G-Shock fans model, so I'm on the fence right now, but I do think it will be successful. There are many G-Shock fans that just have to have something like this in their collection, this pushes many buttons, and then there are the legions of beer drinking enthusiasts.

What do you think?

More info:
https://www.g-central.com/budweiser-x-g ... rs-collab/

I am far from the fast cultural currents, but I say it's a miss at that price. I can't imagine a big overlap between Bud fans and G-Shock fans. If it were a niche brand, maybe, but a mainstream beer ad on my watch? Sounds like a giveaway item. Thanks for posting.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Got an email this morning from G-Shock saying they've got final stock on some of their limited editions up on the site. Including the newest NASA watch. Seems like they made more of this 2021 NASA watch than the 2020.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/limited- ... 8SAMfMZ%29
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote:Got an email this morning from G-Shock saying they've got final stock on some of their limited editions up on the site. Including the newest NASA watch. Seems like they made more of this 2021 NASA watch than the 2020.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/limited- ... 8SAMfMZ%29
They've had this up for days showing stock but when you try to buy out of stock message comes up. Maybe they plan on releasing a few more some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Not really a fan of either. Not horrible, just not for me. Like the look better in the vid than in the pictures, though.

I'd probably put them in a different bezel and band in both cases and could like them that way.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This just popped up on my radar. Very cool 35mm alt. to the F-91W and under $30 from your choice of sellers. Model LW-204-1B.

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/ ... LW-204-1B/

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

This Bud's for you, now available at:
https://bdgastore.com/

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I bought this Pro Trek PRG-600Y-1 just before a trip strictly for the altimeter. I never owned an ana-digi before and didn't think I'd like it. It really grew on me. Loved how simple it was to use all the functions, I used many of them on the trip.
PXL_20210515_175145370-01.jpeg
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Cool watch ;)

The fluoroelastomer band is so comfortable, and the negative display is readable. Very comfortable even at its size.
ProTrek PRG-600Y-1CR.jpg
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:21 pm This just popped up on my radar. Very cool 35mm alt. to the F-91W and under $30 from your choice of sellers. Model LW-204-1B.

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/ ... LW-204-1B/

I ordered this as a gift, and it has arrived. Here are my first impressions.

The case size is very close that of the F-91W. The reverse display is low contrast, as is typical with reverse displays, but I can read it fine. The display is a bit narrower than on the F-91W. Its layout is just like on a 3229 square. The pushers feel cool like they are metal. The crystal is acrylic.

The lume beats my expectations. It uses two (amber?) LEDs -- left and right -- and it stays lit for as long as you hold the pusher. It also has "afterglow" which means the light stays on a few seconds after releasing the pusher. Its contrast is very good while the light is on. Better than on my standard square + EL.

Its functionality is just like on an old 3229 square. You can see for yourself by comparing its module manual here with a 3229 square manual here. I am a big fan of the 3229's simplicity.

From the watch's manual. Note how the timer and stopwatch modes also display the time:
casio.png
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I think I've been bit by the G-Shock bug. Somewhat surprisingly really liking this one, simple, well executed, cool colorway.

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm I think I've been bit by the G-Shock bug.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

I saw this watch (MRWS310H-9BV) in Walmart today for $40. Not a bad looking watch. Didn't even notice in store that it was solar.

Casio Product Page

Reminds me of the Seiko Solar Tuna in black and gold (SNE498).

Might be something to watch for if Walmart puts it on sale.