We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Raketa Big Zero: A journey into CCCP Vintage

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Raketa Big Zero: A journey into CCCP Vintage

Post by Miggyd87 »

I have more recently been interested in trying my hand at vintage watch ownership. I know there are many pitfalls and honestly those thoughts have put me off from diving in. I was discussing options and some interesting eBay auctions, on MoT's Discord server, when I linked a reasonable appearing Raketa Big Zero. The auction was ending shortly and I put in, what I though was a reasonable bid for an auction with 2 meh photos. Of course it sold for more than I would consider a fair price given the lack of photos, but still less than many other RBZ out on eBay.

Good things come to those who share I guess because...

Due to the kindness of a member here on MoT, thanks @peskydonut , I am now the owner of a vintage, unmodified, Raketa Big Zero in great condition.

These are the photos that @peskydonut sent me:
download (2).jpeg
download (1).jpeg
download (3).jpeg
download (4).jpeg
download (6).jpeg
download (5).jpeg
As you can see, the crystal, dial and hands look fantastic. The plating on the cases' rear has worn but doesn't look to bad for the watches age, but that crown.....yikes. Most of the plating is gone, but it still looks to be in good condition beyond the plating.

The watch was mailed out to me, and upon receipt the watch looks as good in person as it did in the above photos.
download (9).jpeg
Later that evening I had time to check it out more thoroughly as well as put the watch head onto a strap.
download (7).jpeg
I even did a quick timing check.
Dial down:
download.png
Dial up:
download (1).png
Within the acceptable timing spec, but I also noticed that setting the hands was quite stiff. I figure I would wear the watch and see how it ran, while I decided if I wanted to service the watch. @peskydonut indicated he hadn't serviced the 2609.HA inside, and neither had the owner prior to him.

I opened the caseback to see the movement appears fairly clean.
download (8).jpeg
I closed the watch up and wore it the next day to work. I made some phonecalls and did some forum searching. Ultimately reaching out to a few members that appeared to have experience both in vintage as well as with Raketa in general. I called for some service quotes as well as to locate an original Raketa crown.

Ultimately a member over on WUS offered to service the watch for a very fair price, they even offered references for previous, repeat, customers. I sent the watch head out early this week, and late yesterday my Big Zero arrived up in Alaska for it's service.
download.jpeg
In the next few days, I should know the status of the movement, if any parts are required and if an original crown can be located at a reasonable price.

I'll make sure to update this thread with any and all info, as the watchmaker has indicated they plan to supply me with many photos of the progress on this watch.

TLDR? Got watch, love it, sent for service.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Re: Raketa Big Zero: A journey into CCCP Vintage

Post by peskydonut »

Thanks for sharing @Miggyd87! Very interested in hearing how the service goes.
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:10 pm Thanks for sharing @Miggyd87! Very interested in hearing how the service goes.
Ditto, and pending results I may be interested in who the watchmaker is.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Woke up this morning, 11/5, to an update from the watchmaker. I decided to quote their message rather than paraphrasing.

" Got it all back together, and initially it is running from 0 to +30 sec per day. I'm gonna run it for another 24 hours and see if it needs to re-regulated.

So as for the service- Yes this needed it. There was a lot of dried grease and oil. The canon pinion now turns like it should, and setting the time is working just like it should for this movement. One of the cap-jewel sets for the balance was stuck together with old oil. In fact I had to laugh as there was a big fat Soviet fingerprint on both top and bottom of the barrel bridge, like someone grabbed it without gloves on. (The fingerprint came off in the wash, so it won't etch the metal an more.) There was also a nice piece of schmutz right at the escape pinion. This is a real high end version with those 2 extra cap jewels over the escape wheel.

Got you a nice crown for it. Check out the pics. (I will include the old crown, just to keep all the original parts.) Notes on the crown- After searching for a bit I had 2 choices, and I went with this one because: A- I didn't have to trim the stem and B- It has good grip and C-with the rounded end it looks vintage like the watch.
download.jpeg
download (1).jpeg
This is a really cool watch! It's great to hold one in my hands."

Watchmaker plans to update me later tonight about it's running status, and hopefully it will be back on its way to me Saturday or Monday.

I would have preferred a crown closer to the original in shape, but at the same time, not trimming the stem allows for an original to be refitted later down the line without sourcing a stem to go with it.

More to come when the watch arrives back with me.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Watchmaker update: The Finale

"Here we are. ignore the 5.7MS beat error. I don't know why it says that when there is a single line.
The first 3 are at half wind (after 8 hours- like the end of the work day) and the 4th is after a full wind.
download.jpeg
download (2).jpeg
download (3).jpeg
download (4).jpeg
GREAT amplitude, and the numbers are very good, and the beat error is supposed to say near zero when the lines are together. (Looks like my timegrapher may have an issue with metering beat error. Hmmm) Any way you put it this is great!"

I paid them this morning and hopefully it will be in the mail latter today.

I am excited for it's return.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

That's so great man! Thank you for the write up. It makes me very happy that the watch is getting the care it deserves.

BTW, the schmutz is probably sour cream. We Russians love that stuff. Put it on/in everything.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:10 am That's so great man! Thank you for the write up. It makes me very happy that the watch is getting the care it deserves.

BTW, the schmutz is probably sour cream. We Russians love that stuff. Put it on/in everything.
Right. Schmutz is a funny way to spell smetana.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Tracking number received. USPS has the package and it is in route.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

The watch arrived back to me earlier this week. I've been busy and havn't had a chance to really wear it. I did take the time to confirm it's function and time keeping when it arrived.

Dial up: (full wind)
Screenshot_20211115-110644~2.png
It winds nearly completely silently, and it still has some resistance when setting the hands. I am unsure if this is common for all 2609.HA movements or not, but given the massively improved timing, I figure this is how my Big Zero's time setting is going to feel.

I wore my recently service Big Zero all day in the office today, for the first time. I even purchased a Black Ritchie Top Grain Leather strap to put it on, as I feel it looks most similar to many of the Raketa catalog photos.
raketa-big-zero-russian-catalog.jpg
My Raketa Big Zero on my 6.25" wrist
IMG_20211118_085121802~2.jpg
IMG_20211118_085113674~2.jpg
I'm very pleased with how well it is running and am excited to continue to wear it.

For those interested, I spoke with the watch maker and asked if I could share his information and he said it was ok.

He goes by Alaskajohnboy on WUS. Here is his card for anyone who might want to contact him to service any of their vintage watches.
IMG_20211118_055354440_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20211118_055400226_HDR~2.jpg
I know if I buy another vintage piece and need it serviced, he'll be the first person I contact.

I'll update this thread from time to time with more photos and updates on how my time with the Big Zero progresses.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Miggyd87 wrote:The watch arrived back to me earlier this week. I've been busy and havn't had a chance to really wear it. I did take the time to confirm it's function and time keeping when it arrived.

Dial up: (full wind)
Screenshot_20211115-110644~2.png
It winds nearly completely silently, and it still has some resistance when setting the hands. I am unsure if this is common for all 2609.HA movements or not, but given the massively improved timing, I figure this is how my Big Zero's time setting is going to feel.

I wore my recently service Big Zero all day in the office today, for the first time. I even purchased a Black Ritchie Top Grain Leather strap to put it on, as I feel it looks most similar to many of the Raketa catalog photos.
raketa-big-zero-russian-catalog.jpg
My Raketa Big Zero on my 6.25" wrist
IMG_20211118_085121802~2.jpg
IMG_20211118_085113674~2.jpg
I'm very pleased with how well it is running and am excited to continue to wear it.

For those interested, I spoke with the watch maker and asked if I could share his information and he said it was ok.

He goes by Alaskajohnboy on WUS. Here is his card for anyone who might want to contact him to service any of their vintage watches.
IMG_20211118_055354440_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20211118_055400226_HDR~2.jpg
I know if I buy another vintage piece and need it serviced, he'll be the first person I contact.

I'll update this thread from time to time with more photos and updates on how my time with the Big Zero progresses.
Looks really really good! Thanks for sharing the watchmaker info, I'm sure it'll be beneficial for both him and the folks here.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

IMG_20211118_193024722~3.jpg
IMG_20211118_193037838~2.jpg
IMG_20211118_193056396~2.jpg
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »